Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd like to see the lines revert back to 81/55/13 and if we stay healthy, leave them alone.
I agree that we need a mix of size/dplay/mucker, playmaker, and scoring on at least the top 2 lines -
Bones needs to be patient - too much blender going on in the top 6.

I also think the second can develop into something positive offensively if they add Ehlers and leave him there to develop chem with 23/91 - there is no reason that trio can't make it work.

Agreed. I also think Bones has been a bit too trigger happy with the blender. I get that the team has been desperate for goals and wins but now that we have won 2 in a row I'd leave some things alone for a bit.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
No better time than the present to move Barron up to the second line. His motor is always going and the kid has 9 goals so far on the 4th line.
I think we need a little less fancy and a little more grit in our top 6.
Barron has played well this season but who are you moving to the 4th line if you move Barron up?

Reactions: LowLefty

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The Jets have scored 2 goals or less in 10 of the last 11 games. That is not a recipe for success. Need to figure it out asap. Saturdays game has the makings of a blood bath.
Everybody (including me) was expecting a blood bath against the Sharks and predicting we'd put in several goals against the undershark.

Perhaps the game on Saturday will be another low-scoring clencher where our defensive skills dominate.

Perhaps the Canucks will find it impossible to score on our amazing goalie.

Perhaps I'm deluding myself because I haven't eaten yet today....

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
And lets not forget right after his big hit he committed a brutal giveaway behind the net that led to a grade A scoring chance. That dumbass play could have very easily led to the tying goal. Youve got your top 6 and Heinola who won a top 6 spot out of camp before his injury. Stanley requested a trade last year, just make it happen already.
Not a big Stan fan but every defenseman has giveaways. DeMelo has a ton, but it's the overall game impact. Last night, Stan did more good than bad and got lots of pucks to the net, and created several high danger chances. He had some good defensive plays and generally got the puck out. For a 7th D he played well last night.

I'm surprised a team hasn't made a move for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree, except for one play in the middle third where he passed directly to a shark behind the net without looking ( which he has done more than once), who promptly passed it to a winger a few feet from the net for a prime opportunity to tie the game.

He did look, just a stride or two before the pass. He was clearly anticipating that Schmidt would be there. The Sharks player jumped in between them. Maybe Stan should have seen that developing or maybe Schmidt should have had better position. Or maybe just credit the Sharks player with a good read and a good play. Maybe a little of all 3.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Seems like it would have to be Scheifele’s call at this point. Why would a coach ignore his most productive line otherwise?
If a coach is letting guys pick who they play with you don't need a coach. I get that they might say i like playing with so and so but i don't think that's a good way to coach.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
One of these days it is going to be the last straw for Ehlers and he will be gone.
I assume that will depend on why he was demoted or moved down.
I also assume Bones will have that discussion with 27 and hopefully there is a clear understanding of why the coach does things - because we don't necessarily know.
I would hope that our coach is making decisions that will help the players and not piss them off. I think Bones is that type of coach.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I'd be swapping Vilardi and Ehlers. I think line 2 needs a bit more speed and line one needs a puck winner on the board that goes to the net. I'm curious as to why they didn't make that switch in the game if they were looking to change things up.

Or maybe he's trying to spread the offense out and get 4 lines that have the potential to score.

That was my first thought. Then I heard Bones' post game.

Reactions: Jack7222

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
One of these days it is going to be the last straw for Ehlers and he will be gone.
Sadly, I agree. I suspect he is just biding his time till he is a UFA and then will be gone unless he gets the playing time he deserves (and has mostly received this season). Certainly, if I were his father or agent, I'd be encouraging this.
Knowledgeable, analytical hockey minds know that, while Ehlers plays a riskier game than some, the rewards far exceed the risk. His possession and point metrics have clearly shown this over the years, but are not appreciated by many.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And yet KC and Scheifele remain together and the team can't buy a goal.

Just like all winning streaks/scoring streaks come to an end, so do all slumps.

It is frustrating to watch when a whole team goes cold at the same time, but it will end.
KC and Schiefele are creating grade A chances.

Why split them up? If they weren't creating I'd agree with you.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sadly, I agree. I suspect he is just biding his time till he is a UFA and then will be gone unless he gets the playing time he deserves (and has mostly received this season). Certainly, if I were his father or agent, I'd be encouraging this.
Knowledgeable, analytical hockey minds know that, while Ehlers plays a riskier game than most, the rewards far exceed the risk. His possession and point metrics have clearly shown this over the years, but are not appreciated by many.
That's silly. No coach is going to be happy if Ehlers is risking games tied or with one goal leads late.

This isn't one coach, it's every pro coach he's had. I doubt Ehlers is too mad about it - I am sure he's extremely aware of his shortcomings, here.

This is a team game, so either Ehlers plays in a way that is for the benefit of the team, or the team makes adjustments.

I don't think Bones is trying to stop Nik from playing his game earlier in games, or if we are looking for offense.

Obviously the metrics aren't showing what is happening in games in specific situations (meaning late in the game up a goal, etc.) If you are up by one you can still push for offense, but not by trying high risk plays that cause dangerous chances against.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Seems to me that the core drafted Jets having never been tasked with playing D and last year had a hard time adjusting. This year they are playing much better D but the O is suffering. Now if they can figure out how to do both consistently look out they should be a contender. I suspect it's going to take sometime.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Then WTF is Ehlers always demoted? Connor is a Lady Bing winner for a reason…..soft and sometimes a floater.

Am I missing something? PoMo and Bones did/do the same thing to #27.
Totally agree. I saw nothing obvious to demote 27 last night.

Not sure why but Ehlers always seems to be the go to whipping boy. Maybe his good nature makes him an easy target to shyte on.

Love Connor too but he disappears alot and always seems to circle away from contact.

Ehlers for me is the best play driver next to 55 that we have with his speed and zone entries. But an easy target for coaches when the top 6 goes into the toilet.

rodney-dangerfield-get-no-respect.gif

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He did look, just a stride or two before the pass. He was clearly anticipating that Schmidt would be there. The Sharks player jumped in between them. Maybe Stan should have seen that developing or maybe Schmidt should have had better position. Or maybe just credit the Sharks player with a good read and a good play. Maybe a little of all 3.
I think it's both. When you're the D in your corner facing pressure and you don't have exit options the correct positioning for your partner is right behind the net to recieve the puck and have the net's protection. Schmidt was too far away from Stan which allowed the turnover.

On the other hand, just because someone is supposed to be somewhere doesn't mean you should assume they will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad