Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
He did look, just a stride or two before the pass. He was clearly anticipating that Schmidt would be there. The Sharks player jumped in between them. Maybe Stan should have seen that developing or maybe Schmidt should have had better position. Or maybe just credit the Sharks player with a good read and a good play. Maybe a little of all 3.

He did look, just a stride or two before the pass. He was clearly anticipating that Schmidt would be there. The Sharks player jumped in between them. Maybe Stan should have seen that developing or maybe Schmidt should have had better position. Or maybe just credit the Sharks player with a good read and a good play. Maybe a little of all 3.
It's just that i have seen that exact same play several times in his career, and you can see the opponent fading in behind the net in anticipation, particularly in earlier years. The opposition knows that Stan is slow and likes to to use the boards and can b e hurried. The expression on Stan's face tells me he knows he did the same bad again. He needs to look where he passes behind the net because that type of play is popular, and many goals have been scored in the same fashion now as the game has speeded up. The new speed of the game and Stanley's slow foot are not a good match.

Your comments are all valid, however, and it could of happened as you say but i saw it differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I honestly think we need to get 81 away from 55. 27-55-13 was tearing things up and the very next game when 81 went back on the top line, we haven't seen any scoring.

KC just isn't good with puck battles and they lose possession. He's timid and everyone knows it and pressures him. Ehlers on the other hand is tenacious and helps the other two out immensely.

I know it doesn't help the rest of the team, but for gods' sake, get someone scoring.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
8 games without a PP goal, going 0-21 in that time and I think we're something like 1-35 in the last 15 or so.

The Jets offensive woes are really something to scratch your head about. I'll always take a greasy 1-0 win over a loss, but I just can't figure out how a team with Connor, Ehlers, Vilardi, Scheifele and Morrissey can't score goals. We've even taken Monahan who was on a bit of an offensive tear before traded here and made him more or less invisible.

How does this change? How can Bowness not want to tinker more with the top 6 forwards?
I actually think that the problem is Bones. The Jets played their best hockey when he was gone looking after his wife and Arneil was running the bench.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I honestly think we need to get 81 away from 55. 27-55-13 was tearing things up and the very next game when 81 went back on the top line, we haven't seen any scoring.

KC just isn't good with puck battles and they lose possession. He's timid and everyone knows it and pressures him. Ehlers on the other hand is tenacious and helps the other two out immensely.

I know it doesn't help the rest of the team, but for gods' sake, get someone scoring.
We're not seeing much scoring anywhere up and down the line up - but they are getting plenty of chances.
Is that a line configuration issue?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually think that the problem is Bones. The Jets played their best hockey when he was gone looking after his wife and Arneil was running the bench.

I think there is something to be said about Bones and lack of offense. His teams the last 5 years have never finished in the top half of the league in scoring.

19/20 29th
20/21 18th
21/22 21
22/23 21
23/24 currently 20 in gf/gp

Dallas since he's been gone placed 7th last year and are third this year so far.

I think it's pretty safe to say his systems to some extent stifle scoring to get the defensive results he wants.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
If that's the problem, then atleast have vilardi with one of them? Neither scheifele, Connor are good defensively. I'd say Ehlers is around average for a winger. Vilardi adds a little more, as well as some size /net front
I think Connor is the biggest issue because if he is not scoring and not able to get pucks out of the Jets end then he is a liability at least Scheiffiele is showing some defensive acumen ( i.e.) his save last night.
I think the move was not a demotion for Ehlers but help for the other two

True - but Bones already knew that -
Probably more to do with turnover - IDK
It does seem like when Ehlers makes a mistake it is a bigger deal in the coaches eyes than when Connor does it but with Villardi not playing like he did when Connor was out they had no one else to move to Connor's spot so Ehlers is the odd man out.

Reactions: Stumbledore

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
No, as I said, it won't fix the rest of the team, but we know that 27-55-13 was a juggernaut. Even if you pull this out when you need a goal.
Ehlers played well on the top line - but that was a band-aid while KC was out. Regardless of how well it worked, we still need two scoring lines with guys on each line that can drive play. We need to sort this out now because it's getting late.

Differing opinions -

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Connor is the biggest issue because if he is not scoring and not able to get pucks out of the Jets end then he is a liability at least Scheiffiele is showing some defensive acumen ( i.e.) his save last night.
I think the move was not a demotion for Ehlers but help for the other two

It does seem like when Ehlers makes a mistake it is a bigger deal in the coaches eyes than when Connor does it but with Villardi not playing like he did when Connor was out they had no one else to move to Connor's spot so Ehlers is the odd man out.
Scheifele has shown a more concerted effort defensively. But effectiveness in not sure on (xGA numbers) but he does play alot with KC which will influence that too.

I don't really care whether it's vilardi with Ehlers or Connor on the top line... The second line hasn't really moved the needle at all since Monahan was acquired so it can benefit from someone that can tilt the ice, provide speed and chances like Ehlers.

But given this team is desperate need for goals I'd entertain with what worked at a V good rate in December which was Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi. I thought Ehlers was V good against PIT offensively, probably the best of the three fwds that game.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Arguing Connor is a better EVEN STRENGTH player than Ehlers, is like arguing Ottawa is a better team than Winnipeg as they have more Goals For. Sure, but they are much worse defensively, has a worse Goal Differential, and less points in the standings.

Any line with Ehlers on it and playing more than 100 mins at even strength the last three seasons is a combined GF 58 - GA 17.
Any line with Connor on it and playing more than 100 mins at even strength the last three seasons is a combined GF 70 - GA 55.
(numbers from frozenpool.dobbersports.com)

I'd insulate Connor by playing him with our best playdriver (Ehlers) and our 1C, who is also a strong playdriver himself (Scheifele).
CSE has had good results previously, and even this season is outscoring opposition 6-1 at even strength.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Arguing Connor is a better EVEN STRENGTH player than Ehlers, is like arguing Ottawa is a better team than Winnipeg as they have more Goals For. Sure, but they are much worse defensively, has a worse Goal Differential, and less points in the standings.

Any line with Ehlers on it and playing more than 100 mins at even strength the last three seasons is a combined GF 58 - GA 17.
Any line with Connor on it and playing more than 100 mins at even strength the last three seasons is a combined GF 70 - GA 55.
(numbers from frozenpool.dobbersports.com)

I'd insulate Connor by playing him with our best playdriver (Ehlers) and our 1C, who is also a strong playdriver himself (Scheifele).
CSE has had good results previously, and even this season is outscoring opposition 6-1 at even strength.
Problem I can see is the second line is really devoid of a player that is V good in transition, speed and pushing for offense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be happy with JMo, Sammy Ville on the left side if Dilly's money is put to good use.
I suspect the only change we'll see is schmidt out and Ville in.

I'm a little concerned that both DeMelo and Dillon are unsigned at this point. They are not the 2 Dmen I want to see replaced.
JMo, Snerg & Ville would be fine on the left side. But the right could be ugly.
I'm hoping for Schmidt out (cap reasons) and Ville in on his off-side. If he is replacing Dillon on the left .... well he can't be in 2 places at once. And if we also lose DeMelo we are left with just overpriced Pionk and Schmidt.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets are just having some bad luck. Last night's game vs. the Sharks was one of their most dominant of the year.

According to NST, that was their best game at 5v5 in terms of: CF, FF, xGF, xGF/60, SCF, HDCF, HDCF/60, GA (tie).

I mean, yeah it's the Sharks, but they crushed it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers absolutely needs to be on the line playing the most minutes at ES. He is the best ES offensive play driver we have, and we currently can't score at ES or on the PP so not playing him the most minutes is just flat out dumb.
Another thing I'm seeing is ehlers was credited with 2 drawn PPs too. Not that it matters bc our PP sucks :laugh:
Connor is one of the softest players in the league and constantly makes weak cute plays in his own zone that result in the puck not getting out. Imagine arguing that he should be the one out there defending leads if you are set on getting a defensive player on the top line.

I know some here get mad when Perfetti gets benched late in 3rds when defending a small lead. I am not too bothered by that- hes a rookie and its not like hes lighting the world on fire but moves like yesterday involving moving Ehlers to the 4th line really grind my grill. That to me is absolutely inexcusable when you have Connor out there to defend a lead.

If Bones f***s with lines next game and doesn't go back to 81-55-27 or 27-55-13 then I hope Vancouver lays a beat down on us like Philly did to send a message.
Perfetti must be the only player with 3 rookie years :laugh:

But in all seriousness I agree with your pt about defending leads.... Don't want Perfetti out there, ok understood. But KC might be the softest player in our own zone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm on the fence with regards to Ehlers long term future here. There has been a longstanding philosophical difference between how the org wants to create offense and how he wants to create offense. We had Maurice spend years trying to mold his game towards more straight lines and north south with limited success.

I'm struggling to see how Nik would be keen to return to an org that doesn't fully trust his game. I'm also having a hard time seeing hownthe org is going to want to invest the cap resources into a player it can't trust in certain game stats.

But on the flip side it's very hard to find a player with the overall impact that Nik has.

He is absolutely the most talented and skilled Jet. But if the org can't appreciate him as he is it may be best for all concerned if they move on.

He can only modify his game so far until it ceases to be his game and ceases to exploit his abilities.

Connor is one of the softest players in the league and constantly makes weak cute plays in his own zone that result in the puck not getting out. Imagine arguing that he should be the one out there defending leads if you are set on getting a defensive player on the top line.

I know some here get mad when Perfetti gets benched late in 3rds when defending a small lead. I am not too bothered by that- hes a rookie and its not like hes lighting the world on fire but moves like yesterday involving moving Ehlers to the 4th line really grind my grill. That to me is absolutely inexcusable when you have Connor out there to defend a lead.

If Bones f***s with lines next game and doesn't go back to 81-55-27 or 27-55-13 then I hope Vancouver lays a beat down on us like Philly did to send a message.

That's going too far. Never mind that it will happen regardless if we don't start scoring.

Reactions: surixon and hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, that bantam sized pairing of Morrissey and DeMelo that plays all the tough minutes is getting destroyed! And by "destroyed" I mean they've got the second best goal differential of any defensive pair in the league: +19 at 5v5. :shakehead

True :laugh: - but it is nice to have some size and some physicality in the lineup. Dillon is a good package of those things plus decent skill.

Reactions: GNP and Gm0ney

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I did not think Stanley had a great game, slow to make a easy breakout pass weak shots from the point but he had one good hit and his stick play was better then usual but he didn’t magically get rid of his stone hands and slow decision making

He had a great game ...... for him.
I noticed one really good offensive sequence from him too. There may have been others but I noticed one.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. I also think Bones has been a bit too trigger happy with the blender. I get that the team has been desperate for goals and wins but now that we have won 2 in a row I'd leave some things alone for a bit.
I'd actually like to see Bones juggle things up some more. Time to see if we can find a combination of lines that gets a little more offensive traction.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Problem I can see is the second line is really devoid of a player that is V good in transition, speed and pushing for offense.
Yeah, I agree. We should have an Ehlers for each line :naughty:
Actually, the duo of Perfetti-Namestnikov was killing it - with or without Ehlers:

TOI 190:30 VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV - NIKOLAJ EHLERS - COLE PERFETTI GF 10 - GA 5
TOI 152:45 VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV - ALEX IAFALLO - COLE PERFETTI GF 9 - GA 3

Perfetti is a strong playdriver and apparently good on zone exits/entries (haven't checked the stats though), then as third guy put Iafallo or even Barron, who deserves more icetime as well. Nine goals in limited icetime from the fourth line is pretty good. Perfetti and Namestnikov are both fast skaters (yes, Perfetti has improved a lot wrt skating), Monahan not so much.

Then put the slow, skilled cycle-guys, Monahan-VILARDI on a line together.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, I agree. We should have an Ehlers for each line :naughty:
Actually, the duo of Perfetti-Namestnikov was killing it - with or without Ehlers:

TOI 190:30 VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV - NIKOLAJ EHLERS - COLE PERFETTI GF 10 - GA 5
TOI 152:45 VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV - ALEX IAFALLO - COLE PERFETTI GF 9 - GA 3

Perfetti is a strong playdriver and apparently good on zone exits/entries (haven't checked the stats though), then as third guy put Iafallo or even Barron, who deserves more icetime as well. Nine goals in limited icetime from the fourth line is pretty good. Perfetti and Namestnikov are both fast skaters (yes, Perfetti has improved a lot wrt skating), Monahan not so much.

Then put the slow, skilled cycle-guys, Monahan-VILARDI on a line together.
I don't think perfetti has been as good as he was from November. He's been invisible

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Another thing I'm seeing is ehlers was credited with 2 drawn PPs too. Not that it matters bc our PP sucks :laugh:

Perfetti must be the only player with 3 rookie years :laugh:

But in all seriousness I agree with your pt about defending leads.... Don't want Perfetti out there, ok understood. But KC might be the softest player in our own zone.

Crazy he has been 3 years in the league... still seems like it's his rookie season due to how young he looks and missed time due to injuries in previous seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00