Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The pucks will start to go in if we keep playing like that, some guys are really squeezing their sticks hard right now. Nice shutout by Helly , nice hit by Stanley. Stanley had 1 bad giveaway but otherwise i thought he played well . Now we boogie-woogie boys and girls .

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
The good:

A pretty good effort overall. Jets generated a ton but Kakkonen stood on his head.

Stanley with a pretty good game overall that turnover into the slot aside.

PK was good.

Monahan looking pretty good but seems to have contracting the "unable to finish" virus from the rest of the Jets team.

The bad:

Only one goal against a Sharks team at home. The opposing goalie standing on his head is starting to become a disturbing trend.

The PP. Only good chances came before they had a chance to set up.

The ugly:

Bones wears the goat horns for f***ing up the lines at the end putting Ehlers on the Vlad line. If anyone needs to be demoted to protect a lead it needs to be Connor.

It doesn't matter for this game but is a huge red flag for how he will manage the lineup he's been given going forward and esp in the playoffs where every little move matters.

He is worse than Maurice when it comes to his "specialized lines for situations".
I agree, and it aggravates the repetition and playtime needed for relatively new lines to develop some chemistry. Change is good, too much change is bad!

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Nik likes to free wheel sometimes it bites him in the ass and in a close game in a game that you can't afford to lose Bones made a move that some might not like but sometimes needs to be made
Perhaps............This is trademark Ehlers, done often, and seldom resulting in a scoring chance for opposition, but also occasionally in a goal for us. We need someone to push the envelope at times and not be punished for it. Although I am not convinced that Bones was punishing.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The funny thing was is Scheifele and Connor looked better once Iafallo was put on their line. I love Ehlers but i think if Scheifele and Connor are together they need a guy who is going to win some battles for pucks and go to the net. I would that rather be Neo though because he has more scoring ability. Not going to complain about a win though, the Jets played good, got a big 2 points.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Had to work late last night. So that's why this post is so late.

pimp-pimpin.gif

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ohhh boy. We need a few more reckless risk takers on this team and a few less head cases.

Maybe we need some wrecked out goal-taking puck bakers, or even some puck-flinging net-bombarding skate-choking crease bending cauterwauling top-shelf shooting bar-down where-grandma-hides-the-lingonberries kinda people?

Sorry, its early. :)

Time for coffee.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The issue is he plays like this maybe once a year.
He doesn't get a lot of games, had a lot of injury issues the last couple of years - and if you're always going to gauge his game based on the past, he'll never be better ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: thereturn and Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If Bowness doesn't like what he's been seeing out of the top line (although I thought it had some jump on Saturday, mostly due to scheifele and Ehlers)... How about going back to the top line combo that was putting the puck in the net through December? Did he like that?
Not sure what Bones saw that drove that demotion, but they are all showing offensive jump - lots of shots from that trio.
IMO, their game looks the same most nights only they are not scoring -

It`s really quite simple. Bones is without question keeping Connor with Scheif (ergo demoting Ehlers) because that`s exactly what Scheif wants. You may want to look up the quotes that Scheif made about how comfortable he is playing with Connor following tonites game. Suspect that Bones is doing everything to appease his number one center - period.
They also play well together - but unable to score right now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The funny thing was is Scheifele and Connor looked better once Iafallo was put on their line. I love Ehlers but i think if Scheifele and Connor are together they need a guy who is going to win some battles for pucks and go to the net. I would that rather be Neo though because he has more scoring ability. Not going to complain about a win though, the Jets played good, got a big 2 points.

Yeah, I'd be swapping Vilardi and Ehlers. I think line 2 needs a bit more speed and line one needs a puck winner on the board that goes to the net. I'm curious as to why they didn't make that switch in the game if they were looking to change things up.

Or maybe he's trying to spread the offense out and get 4 lines that have the potential to score.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Cant say anything bad about their effort or play but need to be way better if we are going to beat the Canucks
* better offensively

It's going to be tough to score on demko.

The Sharks are playing a decent, enthusiastic team game. They just don't have the talent to score.

Jets are going to have to crash the net and get a little greasy.

Luckily I think we are starting to see some more of that. Lowry, Barron, Nino, Vilardi and Monahan are going there, just have to fine tune the net garbage hands.

Despite not scoring I've liked Monahan. You can see the qualities that made Chevyv want him. He's aggressive, wins puck battles and face offs.

Once the puck starts going in people will warm up to him.

Outside of a couple good plays Perfetti looks lost out there.

Vilardi looks like he might be waking from his slumber, had a couple of grade a's last night.

Connor never worries me too much because he just plays the same every game. He uses his skating and hands to generate chances, he's just not very lucky right now.

Schiefele is showing his growth and maturity this season - what a big step forward. Really committed to his defensive responsibilities, without sacrificing his ppg production.

Ehlers looked really good last night, not sure what happened- if he was demoted or banged up?

Tree and Snerg both great last night. Hopefully that increases Stanley's value at the tdl - get Tanev pls.

Morrissey looked better last night but still missing that scoring touch. Pionk was good too.

That was probably one of Hellebuycks easier shutouts, but he made a few really nice spots.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he was for the third period.
I do not know what he did but him and connor do not know how to play defence in their end
If that's the problem, then atleast have vilardi with one of them? Neither scheifele, Connor are good defensively. I'd say Ehlers is around average for a winger. Vilardi adds a little more, as well as some size /net front

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
The issue is he plays like this maybe once a year.
And lets not forget right after his big hit he committed a brutal giveaway behind the net that led to a grade A scoring chance. That dumbass play could have very easily led to the tying goal. Youve got your top 6 and Heinola who won a top 6 spot out of camp before his injury. Stanley requested a trade last year, just make it happen already.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If that's the problem, then atleast have vilardi with one of them? Neither scheifele, Connor are good defensively. I'd say Ehlers is around average for a winger. Vilardi adds a little more, as well as some size /net front
Disagree about Scheifele , he's playing a good 2 way game this season. Connor doesn't play defense well and that's ok with the right linemates as long as Connor is scoring .

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Disagree about Scheifele , he's playing a good 2 way game this season. Connor doesn't play defense well and that's ok with the right linemates as long as Connor is scoring .
Lots of players aren’t good at D like Ehlers but doesn’t get the same kind of flack about it.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And lets not forget right after his big hit he committed a brutal giveaway behind the net that led to a grade A scoring chance. That dumbass play could have very easily led to the tying goal. Youve got your top 6 and Heinola who won a top 6 spot out of camp before his injury. Stanley requested a trade last year, just make it happen already.
Ya Stanley played good but that giveaway was bad, he didn't even look who he was passing the puck to and unfortunately it was a Sharks player. Just can't do that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I trust that he's smart enough that he can reign it in and be safe if he's told to be. His defensive zone play is miles ahead of Connor.
I think it's the risk that's involved.

It seems like when ehlers makes mistakes they end up in quick transitions and outmanned chances, whereas Connor tends to keep the puck in front of him with turnovers leading to change in possession but not a quick opportunity. Connor is also far more north south, will dump and chase and is good at turning the puck over in our favor.

Ehlers playstyle is way more possession based and he uses the width of the ice and also makes higher risk/ reward passes. I think where Ehlers struggles is editing himself and playing situational lly. I'd bet he's well aware of this, he's a smart player.

I dint think the demotion is a punishment so much as it's Bones mitigating risk. If Ehlers can adjust his game when we're up in a tight one, later in a game it will serve him really well, and if not, he'll see less I've time in these games and I'm ok with it.

It is about winning, right?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Lots of guys whiffed on some great chances last night. Holding the sticks tight right now firing pucks over the net or wide when they would have buried them earlier in the year.

I have liked what I have seen the past couple of games. The scoring will come just play this way. I agree with someone earlier who mentioned they are trying to cycle but it isn't quite as good as it was earlier this year so hopefully it comes around again

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So one mistake ruins the dozens of really good shifts he had?

If that's the measure then no one on the Jets passes the test.

I swear once a player is hated around here it's over.

I think it's all about playstyle. For whatever reason we have had a string of coaches that don't care for the amount of risk in his game and try to curtail it. This despite all the evidence that the rewards are more then worth the risk.
I think it's situational. Ehlers needs to lean there's a time and place, and I think all of our coaches so far have tried to teach him that

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lots of players aren’t good at D like Ehlers but doesn’t get the same kind of flack about it.
Bowness could had moved Connor to the 4th line but for some reason it's always Ehlers first. The thing that is frustrating me the most about Connor right now is he's looking pass at first all the time right now, we need him shooting the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad