Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I don't think perfetti has been as good as he was from November. He's been invisible
Perfetti dried up after the Fathers trip just like most of the other Jets.

Villardi, KC since his return, Lowry, Nino, Apples, Iaffalo, Names, the list goes on. None of them have contributed any more offensively.

Perfettti has had some horrible puck luck recently and has set up a number of plays that easily could have turned into goals and points. He also has only had 3 secondary assists this year which is terribly unlucky and statistically improbable. Those are points that you can't control but make a huge difference in perception.

Once he hets a couple of points I think you will see the confidence grow and he will take off again.

This is not atypical for such a young player especially on a team that as whole is struggling to score.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
believe it all you want, doesn't make it's true lol

people are crazy if they think chevy is going to overpay our #7 defensemen... were probably going to add a depth dman at the deadline pushing stanley back as well
One thing for sure Chevy has a plan. Perhaps with Demelo and Dillon potentially going to market he views Stanley as a regular for next season. My feeling is that Stan still wants out, but we've seen that Chevy can be convincing at times.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I believe Chevy will throw good money after bad but just for Stan.
Worth noting we have 2 free agents at season's end in Demelo and Dillon. There has been no news regarding progress on new contracts although True North tends to keep things pretty hush-hush regarding extensions.

If Chevy is unable to extend either of them, you can pretty much bank on Stanley receiving an extension. Shudder.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
believe it all you want, doesn't make it's true lol

people are crazy if they think chevy is going to overpay our #7 defensemen... were probably going to add a depth dman at the deadline pushing stanley back as well
I said it before and I'll say it again, Chevy will pull a rabbit out of the hat somehow (again).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
even if stanley is a regular next year(doubtful) he still won't earn 1.75
A 3rd pair dman making 1.75 is not unheard of by any means. Not that I expect to see Stan here next year but this kind of money is nothing.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
A 3rd pair dman making 1.75 is not unheard of by any means. Not that I expect to see Stan here next year but this kind of money is nothing.
he's played 10 games and has 1 point, he will not get that much of a raise if any and would honestly probably just accept his qo

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do any other HFJets see Stanley at 2 years at $1.75 million per season next year?
I don't see anything close to that. Chevy has proven to be the ultimate grinder up until this point and I certainly don't see that changing with Helly's and Scheifele's new contracts kicking in, Perfetti needing a new contract and DeMelo and Dillon unsigned.

Last year Samberg got 2 X $1.4 as a RFA, after fully establishing himself as an NHL regular. Stanley has failed to do that as of yet. If his usage remains the same for the rest of the season he likely gets the minimum QO of $1M, even being arb eligible as he wouldn't get more than that in arbitration with no counting numbers. If he gets into the lineup and performs relatively well as a 3rd pairing injury replacement, maybe that gets nudged up slightly, but no way does it go past a $1.2 AAV deal.

If you believe Chevy plays favourites when negotiating just because he drafted a player, you haven't been paying attention to how he operates.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ehlers played well on the top line - but that was a band-aid while KC was out. Regardless of how well it worked, we still need two scoring lines with guys on each line that can drive play. We need to sort this out now because it's getting late.

Differing opinions -
All I would like to know is why we're f***ing hell-bent on keeping the Lowry line together. Yes, it's working, but I can give you 20 other combinations for the third line that work with Nino driving play. I could play well with him.

I'd start looking at combinations with Connor on the third, because his minutes need to be limited in some way, shape or form, and I'm not convinced that Monahan is the centerman for him either. But with the third line being all but set in stone, we have decided to not give ourselves that option. 4th line Connor or nothing, it seems.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there is something to be said about Bones and lack of offense. His teams the last 5 years have never finished in the top half of the league in scoring.

19/20 29th
20/21 18th
21/22 21
22/23 21
23/24 currently 20 in gf/gp

Dallas since he's been gone placed 7th last year and are third this year so far.

I think it's pretty safe to say his systems to some extent stifle scoring to get the defensive results he wants.

I'm not going to try to get technical. It is beyond me. But I think that if your defensive play is limiting your offense, you are doing it wrong. Good defense should mean getting more puck possession which should lead to offence.

Blocking shots is a good thing. But it is passive defense. Gaining puck possession is a better thing. It is aggressive defense. If the Jets defensive orientation has lead them to become too passive, too reactive then they need to turn that around and become more aggressive again.

That said, I don't think they looked passive against the Sharks. They had 40 SOG.

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
he's played 10 games and has 1 point, he will not get that much of a raise if any and would honestly probably just accept his qo
You're likely right - it's kind of a moot point since Stan is not destined for 3rd pair on this team anyway - at least I don't think he is.
But stranger things have happened.

All I would like to know is why we're f***ing hell-bent on keeping the Lowry line together. Yes, it's working, but I can give you 20 other combinations for the third line that work with Nino driving play. I could play well with him.

I'd start looking at combinations with Connor on the third, because his minutes need to be limited in some way, shape or form, and I'm not convinced that Monahan is the centerman for him either. But with the third line being all but set in stone, we have decided to not give ourselves that option. 4th line Connor or nothing, it seems.
They like their 3rd line for what it is - and it has been praised across the league as one of the best shut down line in the business.
Really can't see them making a lot of changes other than maybe shifting a winger in or out - but it'll be a similar style player.
I know it won't be KC - lol.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
They like their 3rd line for what it is - and it has been praised across the league as one of the best shut down line in the business.
Really can't see them making a lot of changes other than maybe shifting a winger in or out - but it'll be a similar style player.
I know it won't be KC - lol.
This was an impressive feat back when the line had a nobody called Tanev and two lowly-paid young two-way guys in Copp and Lowry. A line that was paid nothing and had next to no name recognition clowned with first lines on a regular basis - that's good. Now, the trio makes like 9.5 million a year and has a legitimate top 6 winger on it. They're probably supposed to look even better than they do.

The problem with that line isn't that it's bad, but rather that it locks the top 6 in place. Without the option to mix three lines up, there is no flexibility to demote players who can't hack it in top 6 minutes. And if the top 6 stops scoring, we get to the point where we are right now - nobody produces a damn thing.

This is also why I'd be open to trading KC. A lineup this rigid cannot have top 6 forwards who need to be carried by their linemates. Or at least they cannot be as defensively inept as KC is.

Reactions: Jack7222 and hn777

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I did see Ehlers take a weird hit where his legs were taken out and he landed on his back hard. Maybe he was also banged up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad