Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
He is the most polarizing player on this board and yet when he plays like tonight you can see why Chevy may not want to trade him and why someone would claim him on waivers.

"He was phenomenal", said centre Mark Scheifele - Wpg Free Press, Feb 15

Stanley is so polarizing. He's awful? He's phenomenal? For sure he's tall.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think it's both. When you're the D in your corner facing pressure and you don't have exit options the correct positioning for your partner is right behind the net to recieve the puck and have the net's protection. Schmidt was too far away from Stan which allowed the turnover.

On the other hand, just because someone is supposed to be somewhere doesn't mean you should assume they will be.
Yup - and all of that happens in a split second.
Which is why we see passes intercepted more than once night.

Dmen get hit hard on that error though because it can easily lead to a scoring chance against.
But you see the forwards doing it all night long (cross seams especially) in the ozone.
It's a turnover either way - no wiggle room for the Dguys though.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
"He was phenomenal", said centre Mark Scheifele - Wpg Free Press, Feb 15

Stanley is so polarizing. He's awful? He's phenomenal? For sure he's tall.
Someone mentioned that his big hit last night was "Buff-like". If Stanley could continue to put a solid performance game in and game out I would venture to say he could be reclassified to Juggernaut status. :) A lofty goal to be sure.

Reactions: Ggg99 and thereturn

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sadly, I agree. I suspect he is just biding his time till he is a UFA and then will be gone unless he gets the playing time he deserves (and has mostly received this season). Certainly, if I were his father or agent, I'd be encouraging this.
Knowledgeable, analytical hockey minds know that, while Ehlers plays a riskier game than most, the rewards far exceed the risk. His possession and point metrics have clearly shown this over the years, but are not appreciated by many.

I'm on the fence with regards to Ehlers long term future here. There has been a longstanding philosophical difference between how the org wants to create offense and how he wants to create offense. We had Maurice spend years trying to mold his game towards more straight lines and north south with limited success.

I'm struggling to see how Nik would be keen to return to an org that doesn't fully trust his game. I'm also having a hard time seeing hownthe org is going to want to invest the cap resources into a player it can't trust in certain game stats.

But on the flip side it's very hard to find a player with the overall impact that Nik has.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Connor is one of the softest players in the league and constantly makes weak cute plays in his own zone that result in the puck not getting out. Imagine arguing that he should be the one out there defending leads if you are set on getting a defensive player on the top line.

I know some here get mad when Perfetti gets benched late in 3rds when defending a small lead. I am not too bothered by that- hes a rookie and its not like hes lighting the world on fire but moves like yesterday involving moving Ehlers to the 4th line really grind my grill. That to me is absolutely inexcusable when you have Connor out there to defend a lead.

If Bones f***s with lines next game and doesn't go back to 81-55-27 or 27-55-13 then I hope Vancouver lays a beat down on us like Philly did to send a message.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ehlers - Scheifele - Vilardi
Connor - Monahan - Perfetti

Then wait out the scoring slump.
I wouldn't do that -
I think the second needs Ehlers to drive play and gain the zone.
And the 1st line shold work with KC up there - and it's time to sort out if those 3 can make it work (that's where we started the season but it was short lived).
I would not set our lines based on this scoring drought - I would base it more on a balanced approach and let them climatize.
Just my opinion - I really think it is time to settle everyone into the lineup with balance in mind - and I honestly see the second line being a major focus if we intend to go anywhere.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The funny thing was is Scheifele and Connor looked better once Iafallo was put on their line. I love Ehlers but i think if Scheifele and Connor are together they need a guy who is going to win some battles for pucks and go to the net. I would that rather be Neo though because he has more scoring ability. Not going to complain about a win though, the Jets played good, got a big 2 points.

But Iafallo has played a ton of mins with 55-81 this season and their plus minus as a line is +0. Ehlers with 81 and 55 line is +3 in half the mins and pacing around +6.5 if they had the same number of mins as 81-55-9

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Someone mentioned that his big hit last night was "Buff-like". If Stanley could continue to put a solid performance game in and game out I would venture to say he could be reclassified to Juggernaut status. :) A lofty goal to be sure.
Yeah, I says to my wife last night… Hey, it looks like somebody sat Stanley down and said look big fella, if you want to stay in the lineup you’re going to have to get a lot more physical.

Seemed to be using that big body more last night than I’ve noticed.

But juggernaut status? That takes years of honning your craft! 😜

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
I did not think Stanley had a great game, slow to make a easy breakout pass weak shots from the point but he had one good hit and his stick play was better then usual but he didn’t magically get rid of his stone hands and slow decision making

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
On the other hand, just because someone is supposed to be somewhere doesn't mean you should assume they will be.
Actually, isn't that exactly what you should assume?

In a game this quick with so much lightning-fast improvisation, I constantly see passes made on the assumption that someone will be where they're supposed to be. If your guy is not on the point, where you assumed he would be, and you passed it back to the point where he was supposed to be, will the coach tell you to never assume and always look before you pass?

No, I don't think so either.

Reactions: Stumbledore

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yeah, I says to my wife last night… Hey, it looks like somebody sat Stanley down and said look big fella, if you want to stay in the lineup you’re going to have to get a lot more physical.

Seemed to be using that big body more last night than I’ve noticed.

But juggernaut status? That takes years of honning your craft! 😜

Yep. Your not wrong.

Hail all Juggernauts here and now, and in days of future passed.

Reactions: Ggg99

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't do that -
I think the second needs Ehlers to drive play and gain the zone.
And the 1st line shold work with KC up there - and it's time to sort out if those 3 can make it work (that's where we started the season but it was short lived).
I would not set our lines based on this scoring drought - I would base it more on a balanced approach and let them climatize.
Just my opinion - I really think it is time to settle everyone into the lineup with balance in mind - and I honestly see the second line being a major focus if we intend to go anywhere.

KC and Scheif work together but not as well as they do when separated.
I think the 2nd line needs a finisher. That's Connor. Perfetti and Monahan both drive play, particularly Perfetti.

My suggestion is JMO of achieving exactly what you are calling for, balance and stability.

I think it's both. When you're the D in your corner facing pressure and you don't have exit options the correct positioning for your partner is right behind the net to recieve the puck and have the net's protection. Schmidt was too far away from Stan which allowed the turnover.

Yup. I saw Stanley look. But he should have looked again right before making that pass. I'm going a little easy on him because even though it was a terribad turnover, he almost did it right. :laugh:

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Actually, isn't that exactly what you should assume?

In a game this quick with so much lightning-fast improvisation, I constantly see passes made on the assumption that someone will be where they're supposed to be. If your guy is not on the point, where you assumed he would be, and you passed it back to the point where he was supposed to be, will the coach tell you to never assume and always look before you pass?

No, I don't think so either.
I think it's definitely a blend of both.

Yes, people should be where they are supposed to be but a million things happen in a game and some of those things prevent that. What if a player is in Schmidts way and that delays him? What if Schmidt is expecting Stanley to take it behind the net and therefore goes into his corner as a release valve as he should? What if the puck takes a wild bounce?

Hockey is played in an environment of chaos, with humans adding to that chaos.

Systems and positioning are meant to mitigate some of this, but can't remove it all. Thus, mistakes.

That is why you always look :)

PS sorry this is long. Another benefit of systems and positioning is it allows a player to prioritize what play to select and scan options from best to worst. This builds efficiency in processing information, hopefully to allow for a quicker decision and execution.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
KC and Schiefele are creating grade A chances.

Why split them up? If they weren't creating I'd agree with you.

I didn't come up with the idea just since the scoring drought started. I was hoping for it before Connor came back.

It is only partly about the 1st line. I think the 2nd needs a finisher. I think the 1st needs a Vilardi type for defense, net front and corners/boards. I also think Ehlers needs to be on the 1st line.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
But Iafallo has played a ton of mins with 55-81 this season and their plus minus as a line is +0. Ehlers with 81 and 55 line is +3 in half the mins and pacing around +6.5 if they had the same number of mins as 81-55-9

I can't recall the numbers but wasn't the 5 v 5 goal differential with E - S - V something absolutely absurd? At one point it was something like 17 goals to 3...

IMO we have more than enough data at this point to know that the Connor - Scheif combination typically struggles to keep their head above water, while Ehlers - Scheif does not.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I assume that will depend on why he was demoted or moved down.
I also assume Bones will have that discussion with 27 and hopefully there is a clear understanding of why the coach does things - because we don't necessarily know.
I would hope that our coach is making decisions that will help the players and not piss them off. I think Bones is that type of coach.

Fair enough.
But it seems like it is only Ehlers who gets messaged that way.

Reactions: hn777 and LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fair enough.
But it seems like it is only Ehlers who gets messaged that way.
Seems that way - but I don't know why he is being called out and it's hard to get your head around without knowing that.
There have been a few points made in this thread about his style and how it fits with what Bones is driving.
I love the way Ehlers plays but it's very wide open and maybe a little too creative at times - low percentage passes might be behind a lot of it (turnovers).

But IDK for sure - he might be struggling a bit with buttoning down his game (less potential for error) - and if that's the case, there might be a problem.
Again, a few good posts recently are asking the same question - is it his play style and risk factor that have Bones on edge?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm on the fence with regards to Ehlers long term future here. There has been a longstanding philosophical difference between how the org wants to create offense and how he wants to create offense. We had Maurice spend years trying to mold his game towards more straight lines and north south with limited success.
I'm struggling to see how Nik would be keen to return to an org that doesn't fully trust his game. I'm also having a hard time seeing hownthe org is going to want to invest the cap resources into a player it can't trust in certain game stats.
But on the flip side it's very hard to find a player with the overall impact that Nik has.
The last line is the most important, IMO. I'm not a Maurice or Bones hater, but don't see either of them as anything more than average NHL tacticians, with above average people skills.
Nik seems to be fitting in very well with the young leadership group and would thrive, IMO, under the right system and enlightened coaching.

Laurose

Jets Masochist
Jan 13, 2016
Kleefeld, MB
Maybe we need some wrecked out goal-taking puck bakers, or even some puck-flinging net-bombarding skate-choking crease bending cauterwauling top-shelf shooting bar-down where-grandma-hides-the-lingonberries kinda people?

Sorry, its early. :)

Time for coffee.
Love that response!! ...wish I came up with that!!

Reactions: kanadalainen

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He is the most polarizing player on this board and yet when he plays like tonight you can see why Chevy may not want to trade him and why someone would claim him on waivers.
Think we should just take a minute and chill on tonight being any sort of resounding progress in stanely. This sharks team is complete crap. Like a step above pre season.
The last line is the most important, IMO. I'm not a Maurice or Bones hater, but don't see either of them as anything more than average NHL tacticians, with above average people skills.
Nik seems to be fitting in very well with the young leadership group and would thrive, IMO, under the right system and enlightened coaching.
Agreed. There's many great players in the league of high rush or high octane offense similar to ehlers. Teams find ways to make it work.

Not saying it hasn't worked here... If it "hasn't worked" to the tune of one of the top 5v5 producers, best shot/chance/goal share players.... then what exactly are the other fwds on this team doing?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad