Confirmed with Link: Jesper Lindgren signs with HPK in Liiga (Post #57)

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
IMO he was always a long shot, and I dont think this move changes much. There's no room for him here in NA, so their best option was to let him marinate a little longer in Europe then see what they've got. Yeah going to the Finnish league is a step down in competition, but it's not like that league isn't capable of developing NHL quality defensemen. He'll have more opportunity to play his game and find his groove in this scenario. He'll be 22 (?) by the time his contract is done and by then we'll probably have a good idea of what we've got in him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
IMO he was always a long shot, and I dont think this move changes much. There's no room for him here in NA, so their best option was to let him marinate a little longer in Europe then see what they've got. Yeah going to the Finnish league is a step down in competition, but it's not like that league isn't capable of developing NHL quality defensemen. He'll have more opportunity to play his game and find his groove in this scenario. He'll be 22 (?) by the time his contract is done and by then we'll probably have a good idea of what we've got in him.

It's a step up from where he was actually, and not far from on par with AHL. The competition isn't a problem, and SM-Liiga is probably the league that most closely resembles NHL in style of play.

It's a good move for him and for the Leafs. From what I've heard, he's expected to fill a pretty good role as well.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Having a difference of opinion is fine but there are people that are of the opinion that the earth is flat. All facts indicate it is not but they must be right because it's their opinion.

I wonder, who is the one that appears to think they must be right in this opinion-based discussion?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Damn you're quick. I managed to submit before I was done writing too for that matter. :laugh:

He's competitive. He doesn't back down, and he's smart enough to know how to compete effectively as well. It's definitely a case of functional strength. It's often very obvious that he is some 160 lbs, and that gets taken advantage of. Mentioned defensive work above, where he needs to improve. I've heard he's gotten better there, so I might have caught some bad games in that department. When I watched, he struggled when under pressure.

I'll be in Finland some next season, so I'll try to catch a few games and see if I can keep you guys updated on how he's progressing.

Edit: Just like to clarify that I'm not quite comfortable with supplying this feedback. I've been a fan since pre-draft and watched him every now and then since, but not enough that I feel that I really know him in-depth. This whole thing started because I see the same ability, strengths and weaknesses now as I did two years ago, and that's not something you can ever be happy with.

you are still way ahead of most of us actually being there. all information is appreciated: we know it's a fan board and you aren't a pro scout ;)

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Damn you're quick. I managed to submit before I was done writing too for that matter. :laugh:

He's competitive. He doesn't back down, and he's smart enough to know how to compete effectively as well. It's definitely a case of functional strength. It's often very obvious that he is some 160 lbs, and that gets taken advantage of. Mentioned defensive work above, where he needs to improve. I've heard he's gotten better there, so I might have caught some bad games in that department. When I watched, he struggled when under pressure.

I'll be in Finland some next season, so I'll try to catch a few games and see if I can keep you guys updated on how he's progressing.

Edit: Just like to clarify that I'm not quite comfortable with supplying this feedback. I've been a fan since pre-draft and watched him every now and then since, but not enough that I feel that I really know him in-depth. This whole thing started because I see the same ability, strengths and weaknesses now as I did two years ago, and that's not something you can ever be happy with.

Re: bolded - no need, we'll just have McMatthews tell us how he's progressing by stat watching.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Or you can just watch his games on onhockey dot tv.

Like I have done with most of our European prospects.

You provided nothing in this thread but stats and Stralman comparisons.

Think someone who has watched him play would make at least one comment on his defensive play, him being a dmen and all.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 2nd highlight montage for Jesper Lindgren..., who plays Defense position with the 2016-17 MODO Teams (#7 & #28), ....in the Allsvenskan and Super-Elite Leagues.. and also with Team Sweden U20 (#3).., in International Juniors..

Jesper had a stronger and more productive season.., both offensively and defensively.. Early summer rumors had him starting on the Marlies this coming Fall.., but now I am seeing in media news (and in here) that he has a two year contract with Liiga..

107281_modo_kom_igen_och_vann.jpg

Jesper Lindgren
Defense -- shoots R
Born May 19 1997
20 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 161

Drafted by Toronto Maple Leafs Round 4
(#95 overall) 2015 NHL Entry Draft

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - MODO Hockey J20 - Super Elite
7 Games... 1 Goals... 9 Assists... 10 Points... +9 *PPG+
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 - MODO Hockey - Allsvenskan
50 Games... 3 Goals... 21 Assists... 24 Points... -5
*2016-17 - Team Sweden U20 - International Junior
5 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
*2017 Super-Elite PLAYOFFS
6 Games... 1 Goal... 3 Assist... 5 Points... -1

Clips include: assorted goals & assists from Jesper's 2016-17 season with the MODO Elite Jr. team..; clips from a 2015 interview,
that ended in a fun arm-wrestle with Carl Grundstrom... and a few other 2015-2017 clips & photos...

D-Eruption: Jesper Lindgren 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's still got a very slight build. He seems to be a terrific skater. Maybe a late bloomer one day if the Leafs still have his rights.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's still got a very slight build. He seems to be a terrific skater. Maybe a late bloomer one day if the Leafs still have his rights.

He was not too bad as a high usage defenseman on a poor team.

HPK will be good for him. It's not the SHL, but the Liiga gives him a step up from the Allsvenskan and will still give him a ton of minutes too on a pretty good team. He would not get top pairing minutes on a good team in the SHL. Far too many older guys and former NHLers to give many young guys a shot back there, unless they are Dahlin or Liljegren quality.

His projection I believe is a 2nd pairing two-way defenseman who may touch 40 points. Nothing he has done thus far has shown he can not reach there. It just may take him until his mid-20's, which is nothing we did not expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad