Confirmed with Link: Jesper Lindgren signs with HPK in Liiga (Post #57)

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
Excited to see him in NA. Got some great upside hopefully.

Anyone know if he's gained weight? I remember he was like 6'1 150 in his draft year or something. (Just curious, obviously don't think it's mandatory)

Think I read of him just breaking 160lbs

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Slightly surprising.

The arm-chair scouting report isn't very impressive, and they didn't need to sign him for a year or two yet.

Hopefully we get a chance to see him with the Marlies this year.

They did not sign him. He has a try-out contract, which is not the same as an ELC. Theoretically he could go back to sweden next year, but usually when they do this they do sign them for the following season.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He's an underrated prospect. One of our better D-men prospects, which is pretty sad but whatever.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i thought he was a boom bust, but i liked his potential.

we'll see what he's made of, but i might have had him higher on my prospect list than the consensus.

even if he has bottom pairing potential, a d of

rielly zaitsev
gardiner dermott
polak-lindgren

marchenko(sp), valiev, nielsen, as our 7th.

but even better if it's mid pairing

reilly zaitsev
gardiner lindgren
dermot-greenway

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure how he'll get in the lineup but he might slot in for a few games here and there. This is what I see the pairings looking like if everyone is healthy:

Dermott Oleksy
Valiev Campbell
Nielsen Holl
Wrenn Lindgren

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Who is he and what's an ATO?

4th round pick in 2015. Small mobile RHD with good offensive potential. Needs some weight imo as Carrick is a beast compared to him. 160ish lbs
Amateur try out contract.
Basically he's playing for the marlies and not with the leafs.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
T

A Marlies depth signing as well a logical progression in Lindgren's career?

Zaitsev, Polak question marks right now. Campbell, Valiev, Olesky on the Leaf d-man depth call-ups assuming Dermott is injured?

Sadly wouldn't they just use Marincin? Personally I would use Marchenko over him but they both may need to play.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
How many 160 lb d-men are playing in the NHL right now?
170 LB?

180 lb?

I think 190+ is the lightest you'd want them to be.

160 would be like Mitch Marner playing defense.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
How many 160 lb d-men are playing in the NHL right now?
170 LB?

180 lb?

I think 190+ is the lightest you'd want them to be.

160 would be like Mitch Marner playing defense.

there was an article posted about him recently that said his weight was around 198lbs IIRC, wouldn't worry terribly about the weight with a 6' frame either, doesn't take much for a pro athlete to put on 20-30lbs and he's still just 19

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
there was an article posted about him recently that said his weight was around 198lbs IIRC, wouldn't worry terribly about the weight with a 6' frame either, doesn't take much for a pro athlete to put on 20-30lbs and he's still just 19

Do you have a link randy? All I've seen says 160 lbs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Np. Thanks!

haha I've searched all the forums that I thought that discussion might have been on but no luck, I'd probably chalk it up to a reporting error though given all the outlets that still have him at 160ish. Would be surprised if he didn't come to rookie camp closer to 175-180 though, I'm sure the organization is impressing upon him that he have an "NHL summer"

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
haha I've searched all the forums that I thought that discussion might have been on but no luck, I'd probably chalk it up to a reporting error though given all the outlets that still have him at 160ish. Would be surprised if he didn't come to rookie camp closer to 175-180 though, I'm sure the organization is impressing upon him that he have an "NHL summer"

With his skating I think at 180 he would have a chance in the nhl but would have to play a gardiner style game.
Good luck to him! We need to stock up some RHD

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
With his skating I think at 180 he would have a chance in the nhl but would have to play a gardiner style game.
Good luck to him! We need to stock up some RHD

Definitely, I'm not sure if he's what we need in the long run...like I think his absolute upside is something like Sami Vatanen, but can't hurt to pile on some NHL defenders. Even if he lights up the AHL next year offensively, he'll become a valuable trade chip. Always thought the Karlsson comparisons got blown out of proportion, but I guess we'll see what he looks like on AHL ice

never hurts to have them turn out

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
We ought to pump the brakes just a little on these signings, at least to the extent of not pencilling players into future lineups, even of the Marlies. The "TO" in ATO stands for "try out" and that's exactly what this is, a tryout. The Leafs brass will get to evaluate Lindgren and Engvall, at least in practice and maybe in games. This will give the two Swedes an opportunity, for their part, to impress the Leafs and maybe earn a spot next year. It is no guarantee of that, however.

Here is a news entry from a year ago: http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=3821

As you can see, the Leafs signed Witala, Marchment and Conacher to an ATO each. None of the three got an ELC, according to the Capfriendly list of the fifty Leaf contracts. All of them played for Orlando, with a cup of AHL coffee for one of them. I won't take the trouble to check back, but I am pretty sure that there have been a number of other ATO players who ended up with no contract whatever.

Getting an ATO is a step better for Engvall in particular than some had predicted. There was an article a couple of months ago in, I think, Pension Plan Puppets, that predicted we would never see Engvall on this side of the Atlantic. Clearly, this is one step beyond that estimate. But it's still a tryout!

As far as fan expectations go, the worst thing that happened to Lindgren was that pre draft comparison to Karlsson. It's set up some unrealistic expectations on the part of some enthusiastic fans. Fortunately for Lindgren, I doubt that management is affected by such comparisons.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We ought to pump the brakes just a little on these signings, at least to the extent of not pencilling players into future lineups, even of the Marlies. The "TO" in ATO stands for "try out" and that's exactly what this is, a tryout. The Leafs brass will get to evaluate Lindgren and Engvall, at least in practice and maybe in games. This will give the two Swedes an opportunity, for their part, to impress the Leafs and maybe earn a spot next year. It is no guarantee of that, however.

Here is a news entry from a year ago: http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=3821

As you can see, the Leafs signed Witala, Marchment and Conacher to an ATO each. None of the three got an ELC, according to the Capfriendly list of the fifty Leaf contracts. All of them played for Orlando, with a cup of AHL coffee for one of them. I won't take the trouble to check back, but I am pretty sure that there have been a number of other ATO players who ended up with no contract whatever.

Getting an ATO is a step better for Engvall in particular than some had predicted. There was an article a couple of months ago in, I think, Pension Plan Puppets, that predicted we would never see Engvall on this side of the Atlantic. Clearly, this is one step beyond that estimate. But it's still a tryout!

As far as fan expectations go, the worst thing that happened to Lindgren was that pre draft comparison to Karlsson. It's set up some unrealistic expectations on the part of some enthusiastic fans. Fortunately for Lindgren, I doubt that management is affected by such comparisons.

None of those guys were Leafs draft picks, let alone coming from Europe. Players from Europe rarely come down right after their season on an ATO and not sign an ELC for the following season. There might be a period where the Leafs do evaluate them more closely, especially in the case of Engvall. I would say Lindgren is guaranteed to sign an ELC and probably would put it at 70% for Engvall, especially since his rights will be lost soon if we don't.

Witala, Conacher and Marchment were all pretty clear AHL/ECHL depth moves, whereas these 2 players probably have more upside, pedigree and skill than those guys. It's not even close actually. Signing Lindgren and Engvall to ATOs is much different.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Draft picks have signed ATOs then not been signed to ELCs. However chances are that the Leafs bothering to fly him over in the Spring at the age of 19 means they like him. A lot.

He's the youngest drafted defenseman to come over from Europe since....

<drum roll>

Tomas Kaberle.

Actually he's younger. I'm misremembering Kaberle being 19 when he joined the AHL farm team in the Spring of '98 but he had just turned 20.

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Getting an ATO means they are getting a try out, wherever they are from or whatever their draft history. It does not represent a commitment for next year on the part of the organization. They are one step closer to an ELC and that is a good thing for them. But that is all any of us nacho eaters in the stands or behind our computers should say at the moment.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Getting an ATO means they are getting a try out, wherever they are from or whatever their draft history. It does not represent a commitment for next year on the part of the organization. They are one step closer to an ELC and that is a good thing for them. But that is all any of us nacho eaters in the stands or behind our computers should say at the moment.

I can say whatever I want you nacho eater. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad