Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Q: The way you go with your picks, will it determine AV's future?

A: yes, AV has a great track record, but has not been with a team that's undergone this process. Hasn't thought about whether he'll be back.
lol that's the funniest quote of all. NO THOUGHTS AT ALL ABOUT THE COACH, NONE! aha

if that were true Gorts would be the one getting fired, not AV. After listening to multiple Gorton interviews today I am satisfied to conclude we are finally moving away from Alain Vigneault after the season is done/ He just has to drive the tank for a few more weeks

Reactions: jas

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Q: Namestnikov will be an RFA too, is he definitely in the long term plans?

A: Not necessarily. We have to make difficult decisions. Comfortable with acquiring him, we will talk after the season.

- I'm surprised if Namestikov is not part of the rebuild plan - he and Zucc are the only players above 40 pts so far in this horrific season.
Harsh, but fair.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
lol that's the funniest quote of all. NO THOUGHTS AT ALL ABOUT THE COACH, NONE! aha

if that were true Gorts would be the one getting fired, not AV. After listening to multiple Gorton interviews today I am satisfied to conclude we are finally moving away from Alain Vigneault after the season is done/ He just has to drive the tank for a few more weeks
Meh. They did give AV an extension last year. I think they’re going to legitimately have an open mind and listen to what AV has to say. It’s not like there’s a Scotty Bowman or even Mike Babcock out there. Maybe JG has a great guy in mind. And maybe AV is indeed so awful. But I wouldn’t say it’s 100% decided.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Gorton has hit a grand slam the past few weeks...let's be real here. Ever since he's been given the key's to the Caddy, his moves know matter what they've been have been 95% the right calls. Only ones that can be questioned were the Staal trade and the Hagelin for Etem deal. It can be argued tho that AV's piss poor decisions of where to play Staal are the real reason his tenor as a Ranger went south and it's possible unless my memory is foggy, the Hagelin for Etem deal was orchestrated by Sather.

Bottom line GMJG has done a masterful job. What he has done tho last few weeks has been epic IMO. I'm a longtime fan as most of y'all know...since 1970 and this is first time in my fandom Rangers have EVER done a full rebuild like this. Even after those great Ranger teams of the early 70's failed to win a Cup, Rangers led by Emil Francis never did a total rebuild like this.

Gotta tell ya fellas, Gorton knows the deal and is doing it the right way. You want to know the crazy thing despite the fact it seems we've traded everyone of note, IMO, we still have a team that is not so terrible that we won't ice a decent to above average team next year.

Think about it, a top 9 for next year and this it withought adding any prospects including the Chytel's and Anderson's of the world or any possible UFA's Gorton will find, a Top 9 of Kreider,Zibs, Bucc,Vesey,Hayes,Zucc,Namestnikov,Spooner and Fast isn't the worst top 9 I've ever seen....not even close. Add a top 4 d corps of Shatty and a hopefully reinvigorated with a "chip on his shoulder" Brendan Smith, Skeji and Staal with the King between the pipes, I seriously don't think we are going to be a bottom half of the league team.

Sure I'm going to be accused of being in "la la land" and that I'm once again being polyanerish but I've seen alot worse teams than what it looks like currently we'll have and this is once again withought any moves Gorts pulls off before training camp.

Who knows if Metro teams next year who are expected to be good don't F up and play worse than expected. It wouldn't be a total shock if this rebuild we go thru won't be as painful as some peeps in here expect.

All I know is that with 5 potential 1st round picks in next two drafts, 2 second round picks this year and 2 more 3rd round picks this year, combined with how well Gordy Clark and his scouting staff are at evaluating talent, I'm feeling pretty dang stoked at where we are at. I truly believe that that rebuild that Cashman and the Yankees pulled off the past few years is a pretty good analogy as to where I believe we will end up being when all is said and done.

So long as we don't F up this upcoming draft as we absolutaly need to hit on most of our picks, I feel very confident by 2020 and going forward, we will be back in business and be on our way to another decade of having playoff contending teams and a Cup will once again be within our grasp.

Once again I'll say it, we are very very lucky we have Gorton in charge....In Gorton I Trust...so should the rest of my brothers...;)

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's very clear that Gorton is greatly respected by Sather (and I guess Dolan).
Seems pretty clear why. He contributed to Boston's success a ton in a very short time as GM. Most of his moves here have been pretty good except the Staal trade which is still some twilight zone level mystery as to why he performed so poorly. When you listen to him talk, you can tell he's a thoughtful, professional guy who keeps an even keel and thinks of his players and employees as humans in addition to their jobs. I'm a big fan of him honestly and have a lot of faith in him turning this around somewhat quickly.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Esposito trade was bad but he did help us beat the islanders in 1979 and make the finals
Zubov was bad trade also but we got some bodies back in return
So again, your sole judgement of a trade is how far a team makes it post trade? And fact the Lindros trade was a good one (giving away of assets) because at least it brought him back to us?
the hags trade we got ZERO in return..do you understand the meaning of ZERO...not only that, it ripped our team into the beginning of its demise and it indirectly led to the cup win of the penguins.
Hags was a third line player for us, who while helpful, did not figure into the ultimate reasoning this team declined. And while he helped Pitt out, he was faaaaar from being the catalyst that led to them winning the Cup.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He gets a thumbs up from me -- I get the impression he's acutely aware of how the team compares to the rest of the league. He also has shown he can win trades where possible.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Most of his moves here have been pretty good except the Staal trade which is still some twilight zone level mystery as to why he performed so poorly.

It's no mystery at all. It's a short two letter word and he's also the reason why all of our players this season have underperformed and their point totals regressed.

Reactions: haveandare

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hags was a third line player for us, who while helpful, did not figure into the ultimate reasoning this team declined. And while he helped Pitt out, he was faaaaar from being the catalyst that led to them winning the Cup.

Yeah Kessel has been a superhuman freak for Pittsburgh since he got there. It's crazy how much he flys under the radar.

Reactions: TheTakedown

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Very impressed with JG these past few weeks. Regardless of how the return shakes out, he took some substantial chances. He showed a lot of confidence and leadership. Where other GMs wouldn’t make a deal unless they got obvious overpayment (Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, era), JG made things happen. He proved himself to be a mover, a protagonist, as opposed to those other pretenders. I was happy to see that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've ALWAYS been very high on gorton...For the most part I either agree with his moves or understand him...my only gripe...ONLY issue with him has been him keeping this is jackass head coach employed for so long...and even giving him an extension. If he remedies that all is forgiven.

A+ for recognizing a rebuild is vital
A+ for the trades as a whole...some better than others.
F- for his head coach choice thus far...hopefully that grade changes in a few months. That....and his draft will go a long way in determining how I feel.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also, JG must have a reputation as a guy who can get a deal done. Which has to help. (Unless he’s just considered an easy mark, but I don’t think that’s the case).
Glad we don’t have a situation like some teams where the GM is either financially strapped or scared to make a deal that’s not lopsided.

I mean, the league is WIDE open this year. Many teams could have grabbed the reins if their management had the courage and freedom to do it. But really only Yzerman and to a degree, Sweeney l, stepped up. The rest just played it safe. So much talent left on the table.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
So again, your sole judgement of a trade is how far a team makes it post trade? And fact the Lindros trade was a good one (giving away of assets) because at least it brought him back to us?

why don't you do yourself a favor and check out all the highlights of the 14 and 15 playoffs and examine who was in on all the big goals that were scored in those 2 playoff runs...you will be amazed by how Hagelin was involved in all those big game winning goals and overtime goals. and then check out the 16 playoffs and see what Hags did to us in game 3 at MSG ...then talk to me

Reactions: TheTakedown

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
why don't you do yourself a favor and check out all the highlights of the 14 and 15 playoffs and examine who was in on all the big goals that were scored in those 2 playoff runs...you will be amazed by how Hagelin was involved in all those big game winning goals and overtime goals. and then check out the 16 playoffs and see what Hags did to us in game 3 at MSG ...then talk to me
Definitely loved Hags, and he had some great flashes in his time here. But his production couldn't justify the cap space, unfortunately. We had to pick between Hags and Zucc, and we definitely made the right choice

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I'm wondering if Gorton will look to make a deal with AZ to get the higher pick, that is if they don't pass us in these final 18 or whatever games are left.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Gorton's resume in the NHL overall is good...but as GM of the Rangers, it's way too early to make any judgment. If you're going to go back to before he was named GM, then I think the results are just as inconclusive.

As GM he has what looks to be a real good trade in getting Zibs and a bad move with Staal. I could give him credit for acquiring B. Smith last year, but I think the contract extension makes that a wash. Grabner was a great UFA signing for a limited time. Shattenkirk, I really like, but he's a defensive liability and not sure he's a Dman you need to rely on as a steadying vet presence during a rebuild. Still, Gorts got him to a cap-friendly cap hit.

And let's not forget that part of the reason this season went down the tubes was trading Stepan and not finding an adequate C to fill out the roster. Letting Lindberg go to Vegas didn't help either. There were options. Centers like Schenn, Backes, Turris, and Duchene all moved to new teams.

It's Gorton's team and I hope the upcoming drafts bare fruit. Hopefully, one or two of the prospects he acquired makes an impact. I still have issues with the McD trade because I don't think Namestnikov is an upgrade over Miller. If Tatar fetched a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and Hartmen brought back a 1st in a package, couldn't Miller have fetched a 1st round pick all by himself? The only thing we know for sure about the McD trade is that it makes the Rangers a weaker team (i.e., helps us tank). I hope it works!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad