Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I'm not sure how long you can say the recent play is because of injuries. Or the team is going through a process. AV has had a month to fix the issue in house, but it doesn't seem likely. I'm wonder if it's getting to the point where Gorton steps up and try to correct the situation himself? I don't think they need anything drastic to happen but it seems like the team has had a little quit in them during this last stretch.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
What can Gorton do? There's no cap space to do anything. And in any case, he's had plenty of say in constructing this group since he's been running the day to day operations for quite some time now (or at least that's what many have been saying when things were doing well).

Other than that, He's not in a position to micro-manage the team. If he doesn't like what the coach is doing he has one recourse--fire the coach. That's not going to happen during the season.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
What can Gorton do? There's no cap space to do anything. And in any case, he's had plenty of say in constructing this group since he's been running the day to day operations for quite some time now (or at least that's what many have been saying when things were doing well).

Other than that, He's not in a position to micro-manage the team. If he doesn't like what the coach is doing he has one recourse--fire the coach. That's not going to happen during the season.

Management has and will most times trade the player or players they feel aren't responding to the coaching staff after x amount of kicks at the can. I could see management moving a player before the move the once coach that got them back into the SCF and an extra ECF as well as PT

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Essentially, you have to be pinning your hopes for improvement based on trading players with problems for other players with problems. Plus, we're not talking about a true shake-up because the cap issue makes impossible to make a meaningful trade.

As I've said before, salvation lies within.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He may pull off a balzy move to shake things up but recent okay is bit his fault . Team needs to wake up

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
No cap space
Bloated, borderline unmovable contracts
Young guys struggling
Otherwise good players playing like crap

This is not the situation I want to be in as a GM. This would take some very creative and risky moves that might only end up making things worse. Even if he magically found a way to fix the defense, will that solve the problem of the forwards who are struggling as well?

Normally I'm one of the first people to hop on the arm chair GM train, but I really do not see any moves that make sense for this team right now outside of trying to get rid of Girardi and Staal's contracts, and that's not going to solve any immediate problems; on top of being very difficult to achieve without taking some money back or similar money on shorter term. If they want to outright dump bad contracts or players, they are going to pay in picks, or prospects to do so.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gorton really doesn't have much room to do anything right now, considering the contracts/cap space we have.

Jeff is a smart guy. Multiple teams wanted him for a reason.

I'm sure he knows what issues we have right now, and how we're ****ed pretty hard no matter what moves he tries to make, because everything can't be solved easily.

He doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, and he knows that. I wouldn't put any of this on him because making moves for this team is very complex considering what contracts/cap space we have.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Gorton really doesn't have much room to do anything right now, considering the contracts/cap space we have.

Jeff is a smart guy. Multiple teams wanted him for a reason.

I'm sure he knows what issues we have right now, and how we're ****ed pretty hard no matter what moves he tries to make, because everything can't be solved easily.

He doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, and he knows that. I wouldn't put any of this on him because making moves for this team is very complex considering what contracts/cap space we have.

People keep saying "make this trade" or "make that trade" as if trades still happen in the cap era the way they did in the 90s.

Short of double buy-outs mixed with pulling a Wade Redden or something, I don't know what Gorton is supposed to be able to do.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I've been saying for some time that Sather is going to leave his successor with a mess. Not enough cap space, big contracts with lots of term left and NMCs, a farm system that doesn't have depth.

Gorton's hands are tied at the moment. The only trade that has occurred so far this NHL season is the Daley for Scuderi swap. It has been reported numerous times that cap space is an issue for many teams and GMs don't want to take on long-term contracts. There's not much Gorton can do.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The only huge stuff Gorton can do to "shake up" the team right now are at the Trade Deadline and during the offseason. Until then...don't expect much except minor moves to patch up injuries or something.

Cleaning up Sathers mess doesn't happen instantly. Takes a lot of time and careful planning.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cleaning up Sathers mess doesn't happen instantly. Takes a lot of time and careful planning.
Exactly. Gorton was handcuffed from the start by the salary constraints that Sather placed on the team, before he fled. As well as a depleted farm system. As well as the construction of the roster. All of this takes time to fix.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
For a time there it didn't look like Sather was going to leave Gorton a mess. They dumped all of the bad signings and most of the new contracts were very reasonable, or short. He just had to go out with a bang though and sign Staal and Girardi to, two horrific contracts.

Sather didn't sign Nash and despite the belief here no one will take his contract, he is very movable, Boyle is gone after this year, Glass is able to moved or waived, not that it is going to happen, but whatever.

Other than that, everyone else is either movable or already on a good contract.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There is just about nothing Gorton can do about it right now.

For a time there it didn't look like Sather was going to leave Gorton a mess. They dumped all of the bad signings and most of the new contracts were very reasonable, or short. He just had to go out with a bang though and sign Staal and Girardi to, two horrific contracts.

Sather didn't sign Nash and despite the belief here no one will take his contract, he is very movable, Boyle is gone after this year, Glass is able to moved or waived, not that it is going to happen, but whatever.

Other than that, everyone else is either movable or already on a good contract.

Seconded. Add trading for Yandle (with two said garbage contracts in play), and Sather really ****ed Gorton good here.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm sure it's been discussed but when does girardu and stall nmc end?

According to GeneralFanager...

Girardi has a NMC that ends after the 2016-2017 season and turns into a modified NTC.

Staal has a NMC that ends after the 2017-2018 season and turns into a modified NTC.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Any GM can create cap space if motivated to do do. The question is do the moves to create cap space better the team. Most the players on the team are on fair contracts. The main exceptions are 2 or 3 defensemen. Most teams have some bad contracts of their own. Players production and age often go in opposite directions leading to less than desirable contracts for players over 30.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The Rangers are just going to have to ride out the storm at this point unless we can find some way to move 1 of the two albatross contracts. Unfortunately it doesn't look good for this team as they are.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Moves are coming. Don't know if they'll be tomorrow or the day before the deadline, but they're coming.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
cap space.. tell me folks what big market team has cap space????????

Chicago, Boston, LA all are ****ed..

We can move anyone regardless of NTC/NMC.. hardest contract to move on our team is probably Lundqvist due to cap AAV & term.. Look at what other dman around the league took..

Sekera
petry
P. Martin
Boychuck

Point is you got to pay up.. to tough to find talent.. one of steal, g will be moving; either by deadline or 2016 off-season..

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't particularly think Sather screwed Gorton as much as people are saying, because Gorton definitely had a say in all of those moves. It's not like he was an outside hire

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
They are all ****ed because the NHL projected the cap $80M by 16-17 coming out of the lockout. So many teams gave out contracts based on the cap continuing to grow. Pierre LeBrun talked to an NHL board of governor and his team is projecting a $73M cap for next season. I don't understand why they traded for Yandle one month after they gave Staal 6 years. They had Skjei ready to turn pro. Slats got together with Maloney and they made the deal. Both of them met when the Rangers played Arizona and met again when the Rangers played them again. They knew the cap wasn't going up by much.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yeah, he had final say, but it's not like Gorton was just watching from the side lines. And hasn't Gorton been the one negotiating contracts for a few years now anyway?

Gorton said the only change in his job description is "final say". Sather had final say. AV always mentioned needing to talk with Sather,Gorton and Schoenfeld about the roster last season. He only mentions needing to talk with Gorton about roster decisions. Gorton has negotiated the contracts since 2011. Who is the one who signed off on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad