Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ok what did miller and ridley do for the caps? last time I checked the Caps have never won a Stanley cup... and with miller and ridley the caps advanced pass the 2nd round only one time.
So that is your barometer? Not how the players performed, but if that team had gone on to win the Stanley Cup? Wow that Gretzky trade SUCKED for LA.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don’t think our pick will end up as high as we need to get that elite offensive talent early in the draft. I think Gorton will trade up in the draft using our plethora of picks and potentially valuable roster players to try and grab a high ceiling offensive talent. It’s sorely lacking in our pool and on our team and prospects like that are retained with an ironclad viselike grip only released at a “blow me away” type of trade. If it were 2 years ago than EK would likely be gone IMO, but even at only 27, teams are wary of clearing the prospect coffers with the wear on his tires.

I’m not claiming hindsight but if we had also traded Mcdonaugh right after our run to the SC then his value at that time would have yielded what people wanted yesterday. McD was unfortunately hit with a number of injuries shortly after and never has been able to attain that level of domination on the ice since. Still a great player though and if paired with a similarly talented player might get there again. Too bad it can’t be with us though. We got slightly below value in the sense that our return value is pretty spread out but I’ll take it at this point.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
So that is your barometer? Not how the players performed, but if that team had gone on to win the Stanley Cup? Wow that Gretzky trade SUCKED for LA.
I did mention that the ridley / miller trade was the 3rd worst in Rangers history...did you not read that?? the hodge/middleton was the worst of all time and the hagelin / etem trade was 2nd worst of all time...the hags / etem trade is worst than the miller / ridley trade because it in directly led to a Stanley cup for Pittsburgh and the beginning of our demise

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
People need to relax with the hagelin trade. The guy is making 4 million per season and is a 3rd line winger. Sure Etem was a disappointment. But what do you think you can get for a 3rd line winger that makes 4 mill per season. Most teams are filling up that line with young fast players on entry level contracts.

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
Gorton interview with Kay and LaGreca:

Q: How difficult was it to break the team up?

A: Pretty tough to trade players that meant so much, was an emotional investment in players. Hard few weeks. We all want to win, but necessary, exciting action.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?

A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

Q: Namestnikov will be an RFA too, is he definitely in the long term plans?

A: Not necessarily. We have to make difficult decisions. Comfortable with acquiring him, we will talk after the season.

Q: What was the tipping point of the season?

A: Not one in particular. Bad first 10-15 games, conversations started about where are we going here? Henrik masked issues, settled back in to a team that was not good enough. Trying to win here, not barely sneak in.

Q: After the letter, beat CGY and WPG, did you think you sent it early?

A: No, we were convinced. Young players brought excitement. To beat Pitt, TB or WSH is different than winning a couple of games and we were climbing up hill.

Q: long rebuild?

A: tough. Like to think we could turn it around in a year. Look around, there have been quick rebuilds, but some haven't worked. It's on us. Picks are important. Andersson, Chytil. No timeline, a lot of options to get better.

Q: Andersson and Chytil be up at some point?

A: Strong chance they'll be up for looks at the end of the season.

Q: Lundqvist -you want to lose, why play him?

A: Franchise goalie and player, not the right message. Put our young guys in an NHL environment. Not trying to finf the worst players and play them. Understand where it's coming from, but obligation to field a competitive team.

Q: not many years left for henrik - trade ever brought up?

A: no. We don't think he's close to done, shown top 10 flashes. Had long convo with him, wants to win here.

Q: if he'd given ok, would you have traded him?

A: a decision that is above him. Important player, never had that talk. Want him to be here when we turn it around

Q: Tampa prospects?

A: coveted Hajek, couldn't get him earlier cause wewhad no picks. Two way D, strong kid, character, type of D you build your D around. Howden's skill is developing, big kid with 200 ft game. Brought up his point total this season.

Q: AV's future?

A: Avoids answering. Hasn't talked to him. Get through the season, sit down and talk about whether he will be a part.

Q: The way you go with your picks, will it determine AV's future?

A: yes, AV has a great track record, but has not been with a team that's undergone this process. Hasn't thought about whether he'll be back.

Q: Thoughts on Spooner and Namestikov

A: Take a look at Spooner at C. He's very skilled but was stuck behind some great C in BOS. Harder to find guys like that at C so want to take a look at him and Namestikov at C

Q: What are you going to do with Bellesky?

A: Keep him the AHL for now, have discussions about him on a daily basis on what to do with him. Give him a shot to make the team next year.

Q: Will you bring Shattenkirk back if he's healthy and wants to play or will you shut him down?

A: If he is 100%, skating for weeks and we don't risk injury, we'll put him back. Err on the side of caution.

Q: it's a gutsy call, the team had a nice ten year run. Did the fact that it's NY make you think twice? We've seen the Yankees do it quickly.

A: Yes, no question. This is the biggest stage. The decision gave us pause.We looked inthe mirror, not good enough to win. Not the right thing to do to trade futures for one win anymore. Job is to nuild a team that can compete for years. Tremendous response, great reaction from fans, we are lucky. Fans have basically said build a winner and we're with you.

Q: Have you thought about who the next captain will be?

A: No plan. Not necessary that we need a captain, we'll have those discussions at the end of the season. Looking forward to making our team better.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I did mention that the ridley / miller trade was the 3rd worst in Rangers history...did you not read that?? the hodge/middleton was the worst of all time and the hagelin / etem trade was 2nd worst of all time...the hags / etem trade is worst than the miller / ridley trade because it in directly led to a Stanley cup for Pittsburgh and the beginning of our demise
How in the name of ANYTHING, is the Hagelin/Etem trade the 2nd worst of all time or even approach the Ridley/Miller debacle? Or trading of friggin' Zubov? Or Nortstrom? Or Tinordi?

Or how does it come ahead of Park & Ratelle being traded for Esposito?

Trading away Hagelin did not hasten the Rangers demise.

Reactions: Inferno

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
How in the name of ANYTHING, is the Hagelin/Etem trade the 2nd worst of all time or even approach the Ridley/Miller debacle? Or trading of friggin' Zubov? Or Nortstrom? Or Tinordi?

Or how does it come ahead of Park & Ratelle being traded for Esposito?

Trading away Hagelin did not hasten the Rangers demise.
Esposito trade was bad but he did help us beat the islanders in 1979 and make the finals
Zubov was bad trade also but we got some bodies back in return

the hags trade we got ZERO in return..do you understand the meaning of ZERO...not only that, it ripped our team into the beginning of its demise and it indirectly led to the cup win of the penguins.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sorry for any egregious errors in the above transcript, ***** to type out on my phone

Thank you for typing all of that out. I'm sure there will be a link up sometime soon with the audio, but had no clue he was going to be on there. Awesome to hear Andersson and Chytil will probably come up for some games. Get Andersson his 9 and Chytil the remaining 7. Good experience going into next season.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Gorton interview with Kay and LaGreca:

Q: How difficult was it to break the team up?

A: Pretty tough to trade players that meant so much, was an emotional investment in players. Hard few weeks. We all want to win, but necessary, exciting action.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?

A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

A: Not necessarily. We have to make difficult decisions. Comfortable with acquiring him, we will talk after the season.

Q: What was the tipping point of the season?

A: Not one in particular. Bad first 10-15 games, conversations started about where are we going here? Henrik masked issues, settled back in to a team that was not good enough. Trying to win here, not barely sneak in.

Q: After the letter, beat CGY and WPG, did you think you sent it early?

A: No, we were convinced. Young players brought excitement. To beat Pitt, TB or WSH is different than winning a couple of games and we were climbing up hill.

Q: long rebuild?

A: tough. Like to think we could turn it around in a year. Look around, there have been quick rebuilds, but some haven't worked. It's on us. Picks are important. Andersson, Chytil. No timeline, a lot of options to get better.

Q: Andersson and Chytil be up at some point?

A: Strong chance they'll be up for looks at the end of the season.

Q: Lundqvist -you want to lose, why play him?

A: Franchise goalie and player, not the right message. Put our young guys in an NHL environment. Not trying to finf the worst players and play them. Understand where it's coming from, but obligation to field a competitive team.

Q: not many years left for henrik - trade ever brought up?

A: no. We don't think he's close to done, shown top 10 flashes. Had long convo with him, wants to win here.

Q: if he'd given ok, would you have traded him?

A: a decision that is above him. Important player, never had that talk. Want him to be here when we turn it around

Q: Tampa prospects?

A: coveted Hajek, couldn't get him earlier cause wewhad no picks. Two way D, strong kid, character, type of D you build your D around. Howden's skill is developing, big kid with 200 ft game. Brought up his point total this season.

Q: AV's future?

A: Avoids answering. Hasn't talked to him. Get through the season, sit down and talk about whether he will be a part.

Q: The way you go with your picks, will it determine AV's future?

A: yes, AV has a great track record, but has not been with a team that's undergone this process. Hasn't thought about whether he'll be back.

Q: Thoughts on Spooner and Namestikov

A: Take a look at Spooner at C. He's very skilled but was stuck behind some great C in BOS. Harder to find guys like that at C so want to take a look at him and Namestikov at C

Q: What are you going to do with Bellesky?

A: Keep him the AHL for now, have discussions about him on a daily basis on what to do with him. Give him a shot to make the team next year.

Q: Will you bring Shattenkirk back if he's healthy and wants to play or will you shut him down?

A: If he is 100%, skating for weeks and we don't risk injury, we'll put him back. Err on the side of caution.

Q: it's a gutsy call, the team had a nice ten year run. Did the fact that it's NY make you think twice? We've seen the Yankees do it quickly.

A: Yes, no question. This is the biggest stage. The decision gave us pause.We looked inthe mirror, not good enough to win. Not the right thing to do to trade futures for one win anymore. Job is to nuild a team that can compete for years. Tremendous response, great reaction from fans, we are lucky. Fans have basically said build a winner and we're with you.

Q: Have you thought about who the next captain will be?

A: No plan. Not necessary that we need a captain, we'll have those discussions at the end of the season. Looking forward to making our team better.

Well done! Kept all the important stuff and lost the BS in between.

I really like Gorton and think he remarkably honest and open with media interviews like this.

Good interview overall, but man the Hank talk after was painfully stupid. Talking about moving him at 50% against his wishes to save 4m against the cap. Why on earth would we need to save against the cap in the short term?

IMO Hank being here is pretty ideal for the rebuild, retool whatever:

He's not at the level anymore where he's so good that he'll force this horrible lineup into the middle of the pack no matter what.

He's still good enough to let the kids come up on a team that isn't a completely piece of garbage with a total losing culture like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc

He's an insanely competitive guy who has a winner's mindset that the kids can learn to emulate.

His cap hit means way less as the cap goes up and we enter a period where we're not looking to max out salary.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
IMO Hank being here is pretty ideal for the rebuild, retool whatever:

He's not at the level anymore where he's so good that he'll force this horrible lineup into the middle of the pack no matter what.

He's still good enough to let the kids come up on a team that isn't a completely piece of garbage with a total losing culture like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc

He's an insanely competitive guy who has a winner's mindset that the kids can learn to emulate.

Let's not even mention that he's perfect to have around Shesty. Not only is Hank his idol, but he'd be grooming him to take over fully once Hank decided to retire.

It's an ideal situation to keep Hank through the remainder of his deal, work with Shesty later and Georgiev now and show them what it takes to be a top level goalie in the NHL.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Let's not even mention that he's perfect to have around Shesty. Not only is Hank his idol, but he'd be grooming him to take over fully once Hank decided to retire.

It's an ideal situation to keep Hank through the remainder of his deal, work with Shesty later and Georgiev now and show them what it takes to be a top level goalie in the NHL.
Really good point that I can’t belive I forgot. Not only is it good for Shesty to have a legend and a competitive freak teach him, but Hank is also his idol.

I have zero inclination to move him unless he really wants to move and it doesn’t sound like that’s the case

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
As I said in the other thread, AV is a goner. I was 99% sure before this interview, but the "he's never undergone a process like this" just gives it away to me.

The Hank talk immediately afterwards was incredibly stupid and I expected more from LaGreca. Though it was Kay that was adamant on moving Hank, LaGreca didn't exactly put in a sensible rebuttal. I expected more from a purported hockey guy, but I guess it's not too surprising. He said he'd take Richter over Hank earlier in the show. I love Richter, but to me that's a borderline asinine perspective.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As I said in the other thread, AV is a goner. I was 99% sure before this interview, but the "he's never undergone a process like this" just gives it away to me.

The Hank talk immediately afterwards was incredibly stupid and I expected more from LaGreca. Though it was Kay that was adamant on moving Hank, LaGreca didn't exactly put in a sensible rebuttal. I expected more from a purported hockey guy, but I guess it's not too surprising. He said he'd take Richter over Hank earlier in the show. I love Richter, but to me that's a borderline asinine perspective.
Lol yeah Kay is talking about moving him for cap space... we’re rebuilding. We’re not going to be against the cap. If anything we should look to take a crappy deal and eat money in exchange for futures.

And yeah the talk about Richter being better because Hank never stole a series made me feel like I was taking crazy pills. Hank dragged them into the playoffs and stole multiple series many, many times.

Then the caller who said to “cut him loose.” Release him? Trade him? “I don’t know about all this cap stuff but he’s got to go.” That was painful.

Reactions: Inferno

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
  • On building at center, "I think so, if you look at successful teams, building up the middle and back end is important.. We are reasonably confident about our future in goal, we have some nice young players there. Comfortable there with how it's going. To improve our defense and improve at center and get some young guys in here, it was important at those positions."
What Rangers GM Jeff Gorton said about the McDonagh/Miller trade and more

This guy gets it.

I'm so happy to hear that. You can get talent on the wing, but you just can't win in this league without good centers.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

- I'm surprised if Namestikov is not part of the rebuild plan - he and Zucc are the only players above 40 pts so far in this horrific season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad