Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So watching Gorton's presser before the game, he discussed possibly trading some picks for players who can contribute now. I'm curious what kind of guys he might be looking at.
OEL?

Is that the one where he nearly climaxed talking about Hajek? paraphrasing, "He's an all-around defenseman and going to be in the league for a loooong time."

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'm against this.
I would guess he's looking at guys age 21-25 area if he's looking into moving picks for players that can play now. All these picks/prospects + players like Zucc that can still be moved can help strategically sculpt specific areas of this team with quantity for quality deals. Loaded with C and LD guys now and could use some legitimate scoring threats to develop on the wings

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Am I crazy for warming to the Kovalchuk rumors if he takes a reasonable deal?

I don't know about crazy. I'm not all that enthused by it.

1) I'm skeptical of what a reasonable deal would be.
2) We're talking bout a guy who will be 35 in 6 weeks. And hasn't played in the NHL in 6 seasons.
3) I'm not really looking for the that one big trade or FA signing at this point.
4) I think the expectations would be unreasonable.

Reactions: haveandare

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't know about crazy. I'm not all that enthused by it.

1) I'm skeptical of what a reasonable deal would be.
2) We're talking bout a guy who will be 35 in 6 weeks. And hasn't played in the NHL in 6 seasons.
3) I'm not really looking for the that one big trade or FA signing at this point.
4) I think the expectations would be unreasonable.

All true. I guess Im seeing an influx of talented young Russians/Eastern Euro players through these trades and could picture Kovalchuk being the Jagr circa 2005-2006 type.

Maybe my expectations are unreasonable!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'm fine with signing Kovalchuk just to help bring over our Russian guys. I don't expect the team to be any good for the next year or two, and I don't expect him to be good on ice, but he'd be a familiar face who's gone through with coming over seas before and can help them adjust to life in a new country. That's pretty much it for me

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean it depends on which picks and for what players. We can use our cap space as leverage to take back a good prospect like in the Bickell trade

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Curious to know if Gorton plans on making Tavares an offer if he hits the market.

Also suspect he’s got wondering eyes for Karlsson.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
OEL?

Is that the one where he nearly climaxed talking about Hajek? paraphrasing, "He's an all-around defenseman and going to be in the league for a loooong time."

Gorton won't trade for a guy who can walk in about 16 months.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So watching Gorton's presser before the game, he discussed possibly trading some picks for players who can contribute now. I'm curious what kind of guys he might be looking at.

Guys just breaking into NHL or on the verge. Doubt he's talking about established guys.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
After emotionally getting used to McD leaving... i gotta say that i admire the moves JG made at the deadline.. Hes doing what is right for the team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We can debate returns and values, some have hit and alms have missed.

We can debate contracts as well - Smith is a disaster.

But we’ve also dodged some bad contracts on players who have declined - Callahan and Hagelin specifically come to mind.

That’s something to take into consideration when we look at some of the players we’ve moved out. It’s not their current levels we have to look at, it’s where they are potentially going to be in a few years.

Reactions: Inferno

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gorton did really well at TDL. If this is a three- year turnaround plan then 2017-2018 is year 1. Probably would've been more accelerated if Sergachev was part of the return but it does not mean that the actual return was worse. If Sergachev was on a table then likely the only other piece would be that conditional 2nd rounder. Instead Gorton obtained 4 pieces. One of these pieces could potentially wind-up a better return than Sergachev. Example: Buchnevich as a 3rd round afterthought pick in Nash's trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->