Blue Jays Discussion: Jays host wild-card game vs BAL....Stroman Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
Anyone know a reliable place online to pick up some tickets today? (Not named stub hub, vividseats or ticketmaster)

:yo:

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
So stoked for this game. Love walking around campus here in Victoria BC and seeing all the Jays jerseys. The passion is real over here, can't imagine the scene in the 6. Lets rock tonight!!!!

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Stroman's career IP 361.2, ERA 3.91, FIP 3.38

Pineda's career IP 583.2, ERA 3.99, FIP 3.42

I don't think it's fair to call Pineda an FIP overachiever and not Stroman when both have recorded significantly higher ERA compare to their FIP thus far in their careers. Also, Stroman has significantly underachieved his FIP for both the 2014 and 2016 season so I wouldn't say this has went on with him for just one awful stretch. I am well aware that it takes years for FIP to stabilize but in Stroman's case, there is good reason to believe that his ERA will likely be higher than his FIP due to his inability to induce in field fly outs (which unlike other "balls in play results" are pretty much automatic outs and is not dependent on the defence).

Too early in Stroman's career to call him a FIP overachiever. The rule of thumb used at Fangraphs is at least 3 full seasons of starting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Stroman's career IP 361.2, ERA 3.91, FIP 3.38

Pineda's career IP 583.2, ERA 3.99, FIP 3.42

I don't think it's fair to call Pineda an FIP overachiever and not Stroman when both have recorded significantly higher ERA compare to their FIP thus far in their careers. Also, Stroman has significantly underachieved his FIP for both the 2014 and 2016 season so I wouldn't say this has went on with him for just one awful stretch. I am well aware that it takes years for FIP to stabilize but in Stroman's case, there is good reason to believe that his ERA will likely be higher than his FIP due to his inability to induce in field fly outs (which unlike other "balls in play results" are pretty much automatic outs and is not dependent on the defence).

eh, so far stro's only had a blip where his era was out of whack with his fip. you expect blips. but that's not near enough to call him a fip underachiever yet.

as for his batted ball mix it's near identical to Sanchez', and Sanchez has been a big fip overachiever so far.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I already mentioned that in my post.

Right, so I'm saying we don't have near enough data to do anything but throw out wild guesses. Stroman's had a period of bad BABIP luck that we could expect to normalize. There are other pitchers with lower IFFB% that aren't chronic FIP overachievers, and infield flies have been found to be recorded improperly by statscast (so it may not be a trustworthy stat).

But my point is we don't have enough data on Stroman - those IFFBs could go up a couple % points in another 300 innings pretty easily, or they could stay the same. It's just too soon.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
That 2000 team where pretty much everyone hit 20 HR was awesome.

And IIRC even though they finished .500 they were only 4-5 games out of first.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
That 2000 team where pretty much everyone hit 20 HR was awesome.

And IIRC even though they finished .500 they were only 4-5 games out of first.

Our team on paper seemed so good. I loved the late 90s-early 2000 teams despite our struggles. After that though we really stunk :laugh: Being a Leafs, Raps and Jays fan back then was pretty sweet.

The 2001 Raps team I thought could win, the 2002 Leafs and I thought Jays could make the playoffs.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I think the person we all remember most fondly was Halladay. Talk about deserving better. The guy was a one-man win machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad