Blue Jays Discussion: Jays host wild-card game vs BAL....Stroman Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The starts were by no means stellar. They were good starts as far as AL playoff games are concerned.

His stuff was not crisp, which was to be expected considering he was essentially in mid-April form. The fact that he was able to give you quality starts at all was fantastic.

I agree......

Thank you for that. I'd have said he was quality, too. I just think the superlatives used to describe his PLAYOFF performance last year are gradually becoming more and more hyperbole. I am happy to hear I'm not totally off base in my noobie evaluation, however I understand I need to look a little more deeply that perhaps I was.

His start in the ALCS wasn't great, but he pitched very well in the ALDS and overall had a FIP of about 3.40. You said you're not an advanced stats guy, so you'll probably wanna head over to the Fangraphs glossary to look that one up. Considering he was coming off a lost year and jumping right into the playoffs, putting up the line he did last year in the postseason was pretty great IMO.

Kinda condescending, but I guess that's what I get for asking a basic question here. Sorry about that!

I still think your definition of "great" comes with too many caveats and is an overstatement. I have absolutely no issue with the decision to start Stroman tonight - I don't trust Liriano at all - I just wanted a little more of an explanation on Stroman's legend.

Here's hoping he IS great, and we can look forward to him getting at least one more postseason start this season. Cheers.

ForSpareParts*

What are the chances that the Jays' hitters will play 'Hero Ball' today?

Probably a 89% chance.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I mean... they're just so bad...

I remember the first time we used the Dirty...one of the posters was so upset at the lowbrow nature...I promised myself I would use it as often as possible.

Stroman calls himself "Stro-Show" so not much I can do about that. CHiPS is hilarious. I can see how the "Rugged Man" would be confusing to Canadians though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I remember the first time we used the Dirty...one of the posters was so upset at the lowbrow nature...I promised myself I would use it as often as possible.

Stroman calls himself "Stro-Show" so not much I can do about that. CHiPS is hilarious. I can see how the "Rugged Man" would be confusing to Canadians though.

I never said they were confusing or don't make sense. I just said they're bad.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Why is Estrada CHiPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad