Jarome Iginla's Hunt For Lord Stanley

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Iginla deserves a cup. But in hindsight, which would you prefer:

1) Klimchuck + Agostino + Hanowski

2) Iginla: the only Flames player to play his whole career here

Given that he could've mentored the new crop, also factoring what we've seen from most of the assets received for Iginla, its not like we replaced Iginla with anything outstanding thus far

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Given that he could've mentored the new crop, also factoring what we've seen from most of the assets received for Iginla, its not like we replaced Iginla with anything outstanding thus far

I would rather have Klimchuk for the future and Iginla back next year with a ring. I'm really not as sentimental about Iginla as I was in terms of spending his whole career here. I'm happy to see him having success elsewhere; we all know that he's still a Flame at heart!

JulianHopper*

The Flames tried to keep Iggy and be a playoff team and failed, they brought Wideman, Hudler and took a risk on Cervenka. If we were a playoff team we'd be continuing to fool ourselves and keep refusing to re-build and not win a cup like EDM, BUF did and now a few teams are doing. If we traded him earlier we could've got A level prospect, B level prospect, 1st, later pick. With term left and still a 70-80 point guy who played a 200 ft game. We couldn't finish 8th every year and get swept by STL or ANA. And that's if we could with Kipper retiring, I don't think Ramo could carry us to playoffs, JayBo getting older and Iggy would still have to carry our offense with no C's and he's 35. The reason he's flourishing in BOS. He doesn't have to put his team on his back. Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Erikson, Marchand, Reilly are there. If Iggy goes on a slump in CowTown the Flames go on a slump. If Iggy slumps in Beantown he's got 6 other guys that step up. Being a complete mess of a franchise finishing 10-12 each year getting bad draft picks and repeating the process. And I love Iggy, but he had to go win a cup. I think all Flames fans love him to much to keep him and eatch him not win.
Trading your star player like Jarome doesn't always work either. A lot of fans think that they will magically get in return 1-2 awesome players.

There are still some good players here for Jarome to play with and he also doesn't have to do it on his own.

At this point I believe that Jarome wanted to stay a Flame and probably won't come back here. He more than likely will re-sign with the Bruins.

JulianHopper*

From the Giordano Thread:

What do you mean "more than likely?"

Also, if Iginla wanted to stay a Flame he could have negotiated a new contract with the Flames. He was obviously excited about the prospect of a chance at the cup, and repeatedly told the media that he was happy about the opportunity and that he was willing to do whatever made the most sense for the Flames organization. There has never been any sense that he harboured any sort of ill will for the Flames for a trade that he made possible.

You are aware and do know that Iginla signed a 1 year contract with the Bruins and is an UFA after this season.

That's why I said he more than likely will re-sign with them. He's playing well there and seems to be happy. Jarome just doesn't strike me as someone that would go to another team, his 3rd in 3 seasons since leaving the Flames.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's my mistake, I misread in my haste and thought your post said "Blues." I thought that came right out of left field. :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'd prefer Klimchuk + Koko + Bartowski, but I suppose that's not a fair request. :D

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Remember he has children so he may re-sign a long(ish) term deal with the Bruins so his kids don't have to move again.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I think picking 6th overall instead of 8th or 9th would factor in here as well.

At least, thats how I see it in my revisionist history. :P

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Klimchuk will be a good top 6 FWD that plays a complete game adm finds chemistry with anyone, I don't think Hanowski will be a regular NHLer, Agostino will be a solid power forward that can score 20-30 goals. And Iggy isn't a regular veteran that helps with leadership. The Flames won't be able to move on until we get ridof the past ie: Iggy, Kipper. I bet Giordano doesn't have his breakout year if Iggy's not here and I bet Monahan doesn't dothis well with Iggy. We would've lost out on Monahan anyways if Iggy stayed.

Overall is that Iggy leaving gave others opportunities and if he stayed we could mever fully re-buld

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
If Boston doesn't win it all this year then what does Jarome do?

It would be smart of him to re-sign in Boston. He's a great fit there and will have a chance to contend year after year.

I don't think they will though. Boston can make it to the finals from the east but I believe the cup winner will be a western team again this year.

Perhaps, but the Bruins are no less of an elite team than any of the powerhouse teams in the West. Whoever comes out of the West will likely be banged up after having gone through the gauntlet and have to face a Boston team that is made for the playoffs.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Iginla will get 30 goals this year. 13 games left and he only needs 4 more. I also hope he finishes the season being the leader in points for the Bruins.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Even though he didn't score yesterday, Iginla was still very dangerous. Definitely fits into the Bruins.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Iggy is amazing. Anyone who thinks/thought this guy won't play as long as Selanne and be as effective, has no clue how conditioned this guy is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad