Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Moderators gave up on this trade last season. This thread is a free for all.

I think they are more focused on going through their hockey newspaper clipping box from 2002.

Which fair play. Gotta find some use for it before their spouse / parent makes them throw it out.

I’ve never even heard of that team 😂😂 I wonder how the three wins were celebrated

Pretty sure they pushed a trash can around the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’ve never even heard of that team 😂😂 I wonder how the three wins were celebrated

The Aftermath

After the game the Reds had what I can only imagine was the mother of all victory celebrations. Klotz was doused with orange soda. The game was played in a dry state at the time, and it goes without saying that the Generals did not travel with champagne.

Some of the other details of what went on in that locker room have somewhat become part of basketball myth. Many accounts, and even an interview with a Roy Kieval, a former General who played in that game, have mentioned Abe Saperstein coming into the locker room screaming and furious at the Red's for having the nerve to win the game.

It should be noted however, that Saperstein passed away five years prior to the game. So unless Abe was so shocked at the loss he came back from the dead, one has to assume that didn't happen. Although, Given how much Saperstein hated losing you can almost believe he actually would haunt the Reds out of revenge.

Lemon, although reportedly furious, did come back to the locker room and congratulate the team on their victory. One would hope that part is true. Given what the Globetrotters stand for, I'd like to believe that Lemon did in fact have the class to show the kind of sportsmanship Klotz and his team had always shown him.

Many reasons for the Globetrotters loss, or some would argue excuses, have come out since then. Historians and players are quick to cite that Curly Neal, the captain and arguably best ball player the Trotters had at the time, did not play in the game that night. The timekeeper, who the Trotters claimed didn't stop the clock for their skits early on, has also shouldered some of the blame.

Personally, given what the Generals have going against them every game, I'd argue that there is no way they could have won unless the Trotters simply slacked off.

That sentiment was apparently shared by Harlem's then owner George Gillett. Reportedly, Gillett met the Trotter in Arkansas for their next game to personally tear them a new one for screwing up.

With something to prove the Globetrotters won that game the next day, destroying the Generals and it seemed once more order was restored to the world.

Initially, the Trotters tried to hide the game and it went unmentioned as the Generals resumed losing game after game. But soon after, they realized that they were looking at this all wrong. Showing that the Globetrotters could in fact be defeated only added to their legacy. As the organisation never acknowledged the earlier Generals win, they realized that by acknowledging this win it showed the Trotters were not completely unbeatable and maybe, just maybe, it could happen again.

While Klotz team did play the game that night as the Reds, the win has always been credited to the Washington Generals. A logical decision, since the Reds were a different team in name only. But the irony has not been lost that the Generals only win ever acknowledged by the Harlem Globetrotters for so many years, was not technically won AS the Washington Generals.

The Generals have not defeated the Globetrotters since that night 40 years ago. It's possible they never will again. But the Washington Generals job was never to win games. Their true job is to bring out the best in the Globetrotters while helping them entertain the fans.

Klotz mentioned in an interview, that after the Generals definitive defeat at the hands of the Trotters the following night, who Klotz has stated in interviews could have beaten any team on earth that night, he looked up and saw the fans smiling and the children laughing. Klotz remarked how "...it was incredible, (his) team had won again."

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I get the sense that the Coyotes want to trade Chychrun and take minimal salary back, certainly nothing beyond this season. If they are offered a 2023 1st, a recent 1st, and a 2nd in one of the next couple years, along with minimal salary coming back and nothing beyond this year, I think that is the deal they want. Chychrun’s actual salary in dollars goes way up next season and even higher after that. I think these things matter and do play at least a small part for Arizona.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
il_1140xN.4356850957_47rp.jpg

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I get the sense that the Coyotes want to trade Chychrun and take minimal salary back, certainly nothing beyond this season. If they are offered a 2023 1st, a recent 1st, and a 2nd in one of the next couple years, along with minimal salary coming back and nothing beyond this year, I think that is the deal they want. Chychrun’s actual salary in dollars goes way up next season and even higher after that. I think these things matter and do play at least a small part for Arizona.
He also starts getting signing bonuses next season. I wonder if GMs with cap space are testing Armstrong to see if that's his real deadline, if ownership wants to minimize the amount of real dollars they have to spend.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
This is where Carolina has an advantage. They are late to the game after missing out on Meier and have $7.1 million in Cap space still after picking up Puljujarvi. They can take on Chychrun for pure futures.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This is where Carolina has an advantage. They are late to the game after missing out on Meier and have $7.1 million in Cap space still after picking up Puljujarvi. They can take on Chychrun for pure futures.
I think it is between you guys and the Pens. The Pens have a bigger need for him perhaps.

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
Lol at those that sing Bill Armstrong's praises. Guy still can't get what he wants for Chychrun, his team still sucks badly and all those picks he's collecting will turn into players who will sign elsewhere at the first opportunity, or those picks will turn into players....who get traded for more picks.

The sucktitude just never ends for the GMs who fancy themselves smarter than everyone else in the room.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Guy still can't get what he wants for Chychrun,
During one of the intermissions of the CBJ/BUF game last night, Emily Kaplan straight up said that Armstrong has received offers from 2 different teams that meet his reported asking price.......but that he's now holding out to get the absolute most possible.

We'll see if she's right or not. But apparently he has gotten what he wants, but now wants more if possible. If that's the case, we'll hear about a trade roughly 3:15 PM ET tomorrow (as in, league office gets it at 2:59).

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
During one of the intermissions of the CBJ/BUF game last night, Emily Kaplan straight up said that Armstrong has received offers from 2 different teams that meet his reported asking price.......but that he's now holding out to get the absolute most possible.

We'll see if she's right or not. But apparently he has gotten what he wants, but now wants more if possible. If that's the case, we'll hear about a trade roughly 3:15 PM ET tomorrow (as in, league office gets it at 2:59).
Or those teams will pivot and he'll be left with his dick in his hand. If Chychrun is so good, why is BA trading him?

• Haha
Reactions: Team Cozens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad