Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That fact he was smacking MT around makes me happy. Outbattled him in-front the net a few times.

I feel like Gardiner hates giving up possesson of the puck so when he is faced with the option to clear it off the boards (like Rielly and Hainsey have done to great effect) or make a risky pass / try to skate himself free he always picks the later.

When he is on his game and able to make those passes / rushes consistently he looks amazing. When he is off his game and those passes or rushes result in turnovers he looks awful. Seems to be all a confidence thing
Except jake is a veteran and he should be leading hes just not gonna get any better borgman has improved alot since september jake not so much not sure jake will even be top 4 here when we stsrt wimning lots
But ive never been a fan he reminds of todd gill with less heart

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
have been a huge Gards supporter; but if he continues to make bone headed plays I would seriously start calling him out

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Done with him...everytime he touches the puck in the D zone he either lets the other player take it away (and score) or gets to the puck first only for him to lose it or have him shoot it into an empty area where its picked off (and ends up as a goal).

I've had enough of him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If we are basing a player's quality on one shift, sure.

I mean, I could show you an Auston Matthews shift from game 1 of that series and conclude the same thing.

Thing is it wasn't just one shift, thankfully we have Andersen to make up for his Yip's. It was an up and down playoffs for him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Watch that Video again and watch Hunwick with remembering that we were playing a man on man D zone system and watch how many times Hunwick stayed with his man and then left him or left his man to engage one that was already marked. Your opinion will change when understanding what we were attempting to do. Not saying that Gardiner was perfect but we likely clear the puck if Hunwick does not freelance. Not to mention Brown who was lost.

Who was the last Leaf to touch the puck?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Watch that Video again and watch Hunwick with remembering that we were playing a man on man D zone system and watch how many times Hunwick stayed with his man and then left him or left his man to engage one that was already marked. Your opinion will change when understanding what we were attempting to do. Not saying that Gardiner was perfect but we likely clear the puck if Hunwick does not freelance. Not to mention Brown who was lost.

lol ... Here is the shift split up into two 40 seconds clips, where is Hunwick leaving his man to engage players already marked? lol

Jake is wondering the entire shift and then gives the puck away because Ovie is about to hit him...

Jake blows the first rotation and follows Hunwick into the corner in the dump in...

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Who was the last Leaf to touch the puck?
And where was Brown to help to relieve pressure by being an out let or at a bare minimum make it in to a 50/50 puck? Or how about Hunwick offering him a passing option as a pose to planting flowers in front of the net when Jake got the puck? Watch the Video Hunwick missed his rotation in a position of support.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
lol ... Here is the shift split up into two 40 seconds clips, where is Hunwick leaving his man to engage players already marked? lol

Jake is wondering the entire shift and then gives the puck away because Ovie is about to hit him...

Jake blows the first rotation and follows Hunwick into the corner in the dump in...

Right when the puck entered the zone Gardiner had his man and Hunwick left the net open when he skated to pressure puck leaving his man. Hunwick was at fault as Gardiner made a good read off of Hunwicks poor decision. You saying it is Gardiner who missed his rotations is simply wrong.

How about when when Hunwick left his man when his man went behind the next leaving Gardiner to pick him up.

Then when Jake got the Puck Hunwick planted himself in front of the net when he should have offered Jake a passing option. Jake even looked for this option and it was not there.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Right when the puck entered the zone Gardiner had his man and Hunwick left the net open when he skated to pressure puck leaving his man. Hunwick was at fault as Gardiner made a good read off of Hunwicks poor decision. You saying it is Gardiner who missed his rotations is simply wrong.

How about when when Hunwick left his man when his man went behind the next leaving Gardiner to pick him up.

Then when Jake got the Puck Hunwick planted himself in front of the net when he should have offered Jake a passing option. Jake even looked for this option and it was not there.

lol ... are you trolling, im out :laugh:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I'm waiting to see if he does his usual 2nd half Orr impression before I agree he's done in a Leaf uniform.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
lol ... are you trolling, im out :laugh:

I don't understand your point.

Jake is with his man, Hunwick basically says I have better position. Jake is going to take over in front and support but Brown is there instead of taking the trailer that slipped in along the wall. What is Brown doing exactly?

What are you trying to say by saying anyone is even trolling about that play?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't understand your point.

Jake is with his man, Hunwick basically says I have better position. Jake is going to take over in front and support but Brown is there instead of taking the trailer that slipped in along the wall. What is Brown doing exactly?

What are you trying to say by saying anyone is even trolling about that play?

its ok, the discussion is over ;)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. Last night, Jake, made a beautiful should leveraged check on Kessel that put Kessel on his ass. I don't know if I have ever seen Jake knocked a player down before.
Like that Phil spoke to Jake at the whistle, smiling, wondering "Who is that guy?"

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. Last night, Jake, made a beautiful should leveraged check on Kessel that put Kessel on his ass. I don't know if I have ever seen Jake knocked a player down before.
Like that Phil spoke to Jake at the whistle, smiling, wondering "Who is that guy?"

Maybe Jake had a rare bloody steak before the game instead of his Quinoa Kale Salad... real men eat red meat .. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Jake should look at his own video and apply what he does best to his game...

Jake should...
utilize the short pass
carry the puck more often
avoid stretch passes
never try to force a play when you have time
work on more set plays with Z that gives more time
use his body more often

Seems very simplistic but if you think about it, his actual problems are so simple its not even funny.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So the odds Jake is gone before the 2019-20 season? I'd say the odd's are very high, he is too costly for what he brings. Shattenkirk version 2.0.

There is simply no spots open for a Dwinger with occasional case of the Yip's.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So the odds Jake is gone before the 2019-20 season? I'd say the odd's are very high, he is too costly for what he brings. Shattenkirk version 2.0.

There is simply no spots open for a Dwinger with occasional case of the Yip's.

Probably and if he has a hot run this year in the PO, it's probably good to trade him to start next season. Should have done the same with JVR this season. Using that comparison though, it seems they want to win and so we may just own rental him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Probably and if he has a hot run this year in the PO, it's probably good to trade him to start next season. Should have done the same with JVR this season. Using that comparison though, it seems they want to win and so we may just own rental him.

Yeah keeping JVR past the trade deadline is good short term and bad long term. Shanny and Lou have repeated that they have a plan that changes daily ;) , I'm more invested in what is best long term. I'm not so invested in this years team for a few reasons, one is they have yet to play a consistent stretch of games where they dictate play, they have been living and winning on outstanding goal tending too many games this year. The second reason is this team will shed a lot of players between today and when they are contenders , I find it hard to get invested in players when they wont be here in 1, 2, 3 years. Third reason is they are buttery soft, I like a lunch pail Larry type players, hard forecheck, swarm attacking players and keep the lanes clear. Not seeing my brand of hockey. IMO this team is playing at about 65% of their potential, there is a team wide malaise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah keeping JVR past the trade deadline is good short term and bad long term. Shanny and Lou have repeated that they have a plan that changes daily ;) , I'm more invested in what is best long term. I'm not so invested in this years team for a few reasons, one is they have yet to play a consistent stretch of games where they dictate play, they have been living and winning on outstanding goal tending too many games this year. The second reason is this team will shed a lot of players between today and when they are contenders , I find it hard to get invested in players when they wont be here in 1, 2, 3 years. Third reason is they are buttery soft, I like a lunch pail Larry type players, hard forecheck, swarm attacking players and keep the lanes clear. Not seeing my brand of hockey. IMO this team is playing at about 65% of their potential, there is a team wide malaise.

No arguments here. I agree and share the same general outlook and opinion.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jake needs to come back and play a completely new game. The type of play he is providing us is some of the worst I have seen. He is playing awful period. The frequency of mistakes far beyond acceptable.

Not happy with Jake at all.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I've been a Jake supporter but dang...he is certainly playing beastly right now.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The story with Gardiner has been apparent for a few years. If you want him to lead the team he can do it but give him a quality stabilizing partner to anchor his creativity. He is showing again since Rielly's injury that he is a very valuable piece of the puzzle here if handled and partnered well.

The Leafs challenge going forward other than getting a true stud #1 d-man in a trade is to find another quality stabilizing vet like Hainsey to play with Gards. That pushes a Zaitsev down to the 3rd pairing to play with a guy like Dermott who as a rookie provides the stabilizing quality we need in another vet. Borgman and Carrick are quality depth d-men but not likely ever more than that.

Give Gardiner a chance guys - in a proper pairing he's a very valuable piece.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The story with Gardiner has been apparent for a few years. If you want him to lead the team he can do it but give him a quality stabilizing partner to anchor his creativity. He is showing again since Rielly's injury that he is a very valuable piece of the puzzle here if handled and partnered well.

The Leafs challenge going forward other than getting a true stud #1 d-man in a trade is to find another quality stabilizing vet like Hainsey to play with Gards. That pushes a Zaitsev down to the 3rd pairing to play with a guy like Dermott who as a rookie provides the stabilizing quality we need in another vet. Borgman and Carrick are quality depth d-men but not likely ever more than that.

Give Gardiner a chance guys - in a proper pairing he's a very valuable piece.
It's not a partner issue, he's played well with Franson, Carrick, Zaitsev and now Hainsey. All very different players of varying reliability.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: