Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
SCFoF6H.jpg

The Original is full and so we continue here!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Defensive pairings for the rest of the playoffs:

Gardiner - Rielly
Gardiner - Carrick
Gardiner - Marchenko

Gardiner plays the full 60 minutes (plus OT if necessary).

Mar 26, 2010
I have always liked Gardiner. Smooth skater and skilled.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Playing as the #1 and excelling. Jakes a beast. Been my MVP so far in the playoffs for the Leafs.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Gardiner plays best when he plays a lot of minutes. I think he could handle 30 minutes a night most games.

I also think Gardiner plays a lot better when he is free to play his own style of game. When Polak goes down (and no Zaitsev), my guess is that Babcock is telling Gardiner and Rielly that they're gonna have to play a ton of minutes and we also need to score goals and win... and therefore, do what you have to do to make stuff happen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Playing as the #1 and excelling. Jakes a beast. Been my MVP so far in the playoffs for the Leafs.

My MVP as well. Morgan has been great too! Andersen takes it though. I mean there is a good chance we are 2-0 had he just dropped and stayed down game 1.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Are yo saying we have a top pair and a #1 dman on the second pair as well?

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i knew coming into the playoffs, if leafs were to do anything he would have to be our best dman and through two games he has been, although im surprised rielly has played as well as he has.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wouldn't mind Franson coming back to the Leafs next replacing Polak on the third pair. Hes not that bad and would be an improvement over Polak.

Absolutely fine with Franson. He hits and has a shot. Was always a pretty good option for the top 4 if you don't have a legit one. He isn't a T4 really but he can handle the job if need be and not make your team look embarrassing.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Franson isn't the same anymore, he was a product of Gardiner in 2013

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Jake looks like he's finally playing up to his potential and it's beautiful. As others have pointed out it seems now that when he's able to free up his playstyle a bit more to allow for a more free flowing game making things happen, rather than being reactive, he flourishes. Hopefully he doesn't tire too quickly with those minutes, his skating allows him to rack em up without getting tired though so that's a plus.

Having someone like Franson with his RH shot/size and PP QB'ing poise would be great right now.

Lainethescourgeofgod*

Mar 31, 2017
I recall the bums earlier in the season demanding a trade. "Package him for something decent in return"

Hope he stays with the team for a long while.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I recall the bums earlier in the season demanding a trade. "Package him for something decent in return"

Hope he stays with the team for a long while.

Just browse the previous thread. After every mistake Jake had people were calling to trade him and this was late into the season. People are finally realizing how good Gardiner is because ever play is hyper magnified. A small zone exit in game 50 isn't appreciated but in the playoffs people realize how important they are. Gardiners been great the whole season and it the eye test detractors are finally realizing this.

To be honest I was disappointed with Babcocks usage of Gardiner earlier in the season when I felt he deserved higher minutes. Luckily thanks to Rielly's injury Gardiner started playing 20+mins and higher QOC and hasn't stopped.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Jake is awesome, but has a brainfart every game. Sometimes it costs him, sometimes it doesn't. If he ever eliminates those, he is a definite top 2 pairing. Regardless, what he brings outweighs those errors.

If you ask the forwards, who they want on the D when they are on the ice, it will be Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad