Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jake had a half way decent game last night and seems to be sorting it out. We can only hope to have both Rielly and Jake playing at their honest bests into the POs. I feel this team could be quite dangerous with four functioning and competent D. That's even with the absence of a top 10 defender in the world.

What does Babcock see in Polak though. Carrick is so much better.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Jake had a half way decent game last night and seems to be sorting it out. We can only hope to have both Rielly and Jake playing at their honest bests into the POs. I feel this team could be quite dangerous with four functioning and competent D. That's even with the absence of a top 10 defender in the world.

What does Babcock see in Polak though. Carrick is so much better.
That fact he was smacking MT around makes me happy. Outbattled him in-front the net a few times.

I feel like Gardiner hates giving up possesson of the puck so when he is faced with the option to clear it off the boards (like Rielly and Hainsey have done to great effect) or make a risky pass / try to skate himself free he always picks the later.

When he is on his game and able to make those passes / rushes consistently he looks amazing. When he is off his game and those passes or rushes result in turnovers he looks awful. Seems to be all a confidence thing

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That fact he was smacking MT around makes me happy. Outbattled him in-front the net a few times.

I feel like Gardiner hates giving up possesson of the puck so when he is faced with the option to clear it off the boards (like Rielly and Hainsey have done to great effect) or make a risky pass / try to skate himself free he always picks the later.

When he is on his game and able to make those passes / rushes consistently he looks amazing. When he is off his game and those passes or rushes result in turnovers he looks awful. Seems to be all a confidence thing
more like a low iq thing ,

he doesn't seem able to learn what the best play to make is , everyone makes mistakes and gets beat but with Gards it's doing things that leave you scratching your head like wtf was he thinking

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

he doesn't seem able to learn what the best play to make is , everyone makes mistakes and gets beat but with Gards it's doing things that leave you scratching your head like wtf was he thinking

The low IQ argument is the lowest hanging fruit argument. I really wish you and others would stop using it because it doesn't really describe whats going on at all. How can he have simply raised his IQ for the whole last half of last season and into the POs? Is IQ on a fader? Does it dither? You see how erroneous this explanation is?

He is inconsistent would be the appropriate way to describe what Jake is. Low IQ would be Polak as he consistently plays a game where he takes penalties and ices the puck as he finds himself in self created jams.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The low IQ argument is the lowest hanging fruit argument. I really wish you and others would stop using it because it doesn't really describe whats going on at all. How can he have simply raised his IQ for the whole last half of last season and into the POs? Is IQ on a fader? Does it dither? You see how erroneous this explanation is?

He is inconsistent would be the appropriate way to describe what Jake is. Low IQ would be Polak as he consistently plays a game where he takes penalties and ices the puck as he finds himself in self created jams.
and why do you believe he's still so inconsistent ?

even when he's playing well he still does things that leave you believing he has a low hockey iq , it seems his good play has to do with usage and sheltering him more than anything else

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
and why do you believe he's still so inconsistent ?

even when he's playing well he still does things that leave you believing he has a low hockey iq , it seems his good play has to do with usage and sheltering him more than anything else

Last year he was moved up to take on top competition. He has in the past elevated his game near the ends of seasons and even helped guys like Dion look better. He makes errors, he certainly has inconsistent starts for sure to his seasons. How can anyone explain his hockey IQ being elevated for such long stretches or during PO competition?

He just isn't a low IQ player. Consistency is his problem and I don't mean because he makes a mistake. You can watch Doughty, E.K or any top defender make mistakes like Jake all year long if you just start watching other teams games with a focus on them. Jake has some pretty bad starts to his years and if you look at the date of the original Jake thread calling him a beast from last year, it took until January.

First 30 Jake games is like watching a chain failure but after that he seems to get it together somehow. Why this is? I have no idea.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Last year he was moved up to take on top competition. He has in the past elevated his game near the ends of seasons and even helped guys like Dion look better. He makes errors, he certainly has inconsistent starts for sure to his seasons. How can anyone explain his hockey IQ being elevated for such long stretches or during PO competition?

He just isn't a low IQ player. Consistency is his problem and I don't mean because he makes a mistake. You can watch Doughty, E.K or any top defender make mistakes like Jake all year long if you just start watching other teams games with a focus on them. Jake has some pretty bad starts to his years and if you look at the date of the original Jake thread calling him a beast from last year, it took until January.

First 30 Jake games is like watching a chain failure but after that he seems to get it together somehow. Why this is? I have no idea.

The more intense other teams play, the better Gardiner does. It gives him less time and space to think and forces him to play purely on instinct.

His instincts are great and he has the skillset to execute on them. He's either slow or bad at thinking a play through however. Most of his visible mistakes come against a forecheck where he's already had the puck under control for a few seconds and looked for passing lanes/set plays. If that same forechecker comes at him when he just gets the puck, he's a few spin moves away from being up the ice on an odd-man rush.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Its not low IQ. Watch him vs the Bruins in the playoffs. Watch him vs Washington in the playoffs. Gardiner has the highest IQ of any Dman, on the team when is he is 100% dialed in. He is un-predicable as a puck carrier and the D cant read what he is going to do next, and they panic and break down. Problem is, he lacks constant focus, it appears he is daydreaming of other things and disengaged in the play. Make no mistake a dialed in Gardiner shows very good hockey IQ. Connor Carrick has the lowest IQ for Dmen on this team, poor instincts under pressure that are impossible to remove.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Its not low IQ. Watch him vs the Bruins in the playoffs. Watch him vs Washington in the playoffs. Gardiner has the highest IQ of any Dman, on the team when is he is 100% dialed in. He is un-predicable as a puck carrier and the D cant read what he is going to do next, and they panic and break down. Problem is, he lacks constant focus, it appears he is daydreaming of other things and disengaged in the play. Make no mistake a dialed in Gardiner shows very good hockey IQ. Connor Carrick has the lowest IQ for Dmen on this team, poor instincts under pressure that are impossible to remove.

This is how Jake plays defense lol, he is lost/clueless... Isolate him on the video...Ovie scared the living shit out of him :laugh: never mind bringing up players either lol

Sep 18, 2009
I wonder if Leafs are smart enough to trade Gardiner
Addition by subtraction
Call up Dermott
Defense fixed
Kinda

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Whenever he touches the puck I say his name like Matt Damon in Team America

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't understand how unproven anything fixes any perceived problems.
Gardiner is not the issue. Yes he makes mistakes but the fact we lack a right shot D man who can think and make reads is an issue. Like Hunwick the last few year he played to much and Polak as well. Zaitsev needs to be moved Down to 3rd pair as this would see an immediate improvement in our D pairings and see Gardiner become the solid 2nd pair D man that he is.

I see us making a move for a D man and changes in our Pairings. Many on here think it would be Gardiner moving down when it will be his partner.

After Christmas I can see minutes that Rielly plays increasing and you may see him play some more minutes on the right side as he did in the playoffs last year. You can see that even now Rielly is playing the right side more and more depending on the speed of the winger he is facing.

Let’s hope that we get a right shot D man under our Christmas tree this year.

I love our chances this year when the playoffs come. Our roster will have at least 3 different players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner is not the issue. Yes he makes mistakes but the fact we lack a right shot D man who can think and make reads is an issue. Like Hunwick the last few year he played to much and Polak as well. Zaitsev needs to be moved Down to 3rd pair as this would see an immediate improvement in our D pairings and see Gardiner become the solid 2nd pair D man that he is.

I see us making a move for a D man and changes in our Pairings. Many on here think it would be Gardiner moving down when it will be his partner.

After Christmas I can see minutes that Rielly plays increasing and you may see him play some more minutes on the right side as he did in the playoffs last year. You can see that even now Rielly is playing the right side more and more depending on the speed of the winger he is facing.

Let’s hope that we get a right shot D man under our Christmas tree this year.

I love our chances this year when the playoffs come. Our roster will have at least 3 different players.

Z doesn't get his fair share of criticism that is for sure. Jake has been a whole level of sloppy on his own though if I am being honest. He has also been better the past couple games. You may be right about Z moving down and it would make the most sense.

You're probably right. I don't think we are getting anything for Christmas though.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would be interested in seeing what San Jose want for Braun.

A top 6 of:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Braun
Borgman-Zaitsev

Looks a lot more balanced and pretty decent to be honest

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Gardiner's best performances in a Leaf jersey, have been in the 2013 and the 2017 playoffs.

When the game is fast, and he's playing off of impulse, he can be very good.

When he has more time to think, that's when he seems to get himself into trouble.

It's crazy how a guy with that much skill and ability, can have so many headscratching moments.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner's best performances in a Leaf jersey, have been in the 2013 and the 2017 playoffs.

When he has more time to think, that's when he seems to get himself into trouble.

It's crazy how a guy with that much skill and ability, can have so many headscratching moments.

Some people function better under pressure where they just have to rely mostly on making snap decisions or basically using their instincts. It's not all that uncommon really. It suggests he is actually really highly intelligent.

Genius plagued by indecision. How common is that ;)

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I'm over Jake Gardiner. Talented but doesn't learn from his mistakes and too laid back,

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Some see the Jake that you say likes a fast pace, others see the Jake we see in the video a few post above yours. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Some see the Jake that you say likes a fast pace, others see the Jake we see in the video a few post above yours. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If we are basing a player's quality on one shift, sure.

I mean, I could show you an Auston Matthews shift from game 1 of that series and conclude the same thing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If we are basing a player's quality on one shift, sure.

I mean, I could show you an Auston Matthews shift from game 1 of that series and conclude the same thing.
Watch that Video again and watch Hunwick with remembering that we were playing a man on man D zone system and watch how many times Hunwick stayed with his man and then left him or left his man to engage one that was already marked. Your opinion will change when understanding what we were attempting to do. Not saying that Gardiner was perfect but we likely clear the puck if Hunwick does not freelance. Not to mention Brown who was lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad