Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It's not a partner issue, he's played well with Franson, Carrick, Zaitsev and now Hainsey. All very different players of varying reliability.

Rielly is playing so well with Hainsey as his partner this year and then Gardiner starts playing the best hockey of the year partnered with Hainsey. Gardiner has never played with a stabilizing veteran partner until right now.

Reactions: iSophagus

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Rielly is playing so well with Hainsey as his partner this year and then Gardiner starts playing the best hockey of the year partnered with Hainsey. Gardiner has never played with a stabilizing veteran partner until right now.
I'm fine with giving him a good partner, it certainly won't hurt, but he's shown a number of times he can play at a high level without one.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Gardiner is consistently inconsistent.

When he’s on he’s a game changer (good)
When he’s off he’s a game changer (bad)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm waiting to see if he does his usual 2nd half Orr impression before I agree he's done in a Leaf uniform.

Ya, he's pretty much back to his Orr impression. That was one heck of a game by Jake, no question there... when he is on, he can play an elite game. That pass to Nylander was something else. It's a real shame, that we don't get that version of Jake all the time.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I see him play like this, as well as he does in post-season and just get frustrated. Why can't he bring this every night? If he played like this every night, we wouldn't need a #1 d-man. When he is on, he is on.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Looked elite and dominant the whole game. I was more surprised at how well he was defensively. Watch at how denied a lot of zone entries and his active stick blocks a lot of shots and pokes them loose. Incredible game by him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was terrible for awhile at the start of the season, but has been great recently, really regaining his form from last season. I wish he was more consistent, but when he’s playing well, he’s a very good player, a legit 3D. Definitely have to give the man props for turning his season around. Hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season and playoffs!

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
For perspective, he just passed JVR and Kadri in points. Only Matthews, Nylander and Marner ahead of him, although Rielly missed a few games and still has the slightly higher PPG average.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Imagine if Gardiner was as good as he is capable of on a consistent basis.
Man, that would solve a lot of our problems.
Too bad this is reality :squint:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Im curious if down the road when Jake retires the narrative will be "wow when he was on his game he was dominant" or "if he was consistent he would have been something special".

He might be the most 50/50 player in terms of on or off in the league and by a decent stretch too.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We already know.
Both.

Coaches like things they can control.
Jake is not controllable.

Exactly, if Babcock had an option to give someone Jake's minutes, like Dermott, he would, but you cant bench Jake without hurting his trade value.

When I watch Dermott I see a skater as good as Jake, a good passer close to Jakes abilities, a guy who is not scared to get physical (Jake is a soft as melted butter) and a guy who can recover from his mistakes (which Jake struggles with).

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Im curious if down the road when Jake retires the narrative will be "wow when he was on his game he was dominant" or "if he was consistent he would have been something special".

He might be the most 50/50 player in terms of on or off in the league and by a decent stretch too.

If he was consistent (good) he would be mentioned in the same category as Karlson and Subban.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he was consistent (good) he would be mentioned in the same category as Karlson and Subban.

He is good, he racks up points every time Coach unleashes him and they R&G it. It's not anything new, to you because you don't get it maybe. Nothing new though.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He is good, he racks up points every time Coach unleashes him and they R&G it. It's not anything new, to you because you don't get it maybe. Nothing new though.

I don't get that he is the most inconsistent talented defenceman in the league?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The team is so much better when Gardiner's head is in the game instead of his ass.

That pass last night was incredible. If he keeps this form going into the playoffs, we'll be juuuuuuuust fine.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't get that he is the most inconsistent talented defenceman in the league?

Look at his usage and the teams usage. They matter. This team could run and gun all season and probably still make the PO but we will be paying Jake and Matthews massive next contracts. We stopped winning 6-5 because the coach put a stop to it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Look at his usage and the teams usage. They matter. This team could run and gun all season and probably still make the PO but we will be paying Jake and Matthews massive next contracts. We stopped winning 6-5 because the coach put a stop to it.

And his usage will tell me what?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And his usage will tell me what?

Who do you think governs Jake. They play differently when told and if they refuse they lose their minutes. Coaches tell the kids how to play, if Babcock says open it up and get into a track-meet, that's what they do. When good teams started clamping down on us he used it as a signal to focus on team D and they did. No goals for, no goals against for an entire section of season.

Now they are going to refresh their R&G, then Babcock will throttle back, maybe they will mix it up by period or situation. The kids know the systems in play here and it seems he wants them to be versatile in the event we run into trap teams etc.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
yet, then, when he was bad, he was "controller keep losing connection" bad the whole game.
Haha, may be the Groundhog Day is his on switch:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->