Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he's got 19 pts in 71 games in the NHL, over 82 games that's 22 pts, so if he can get a little better then maybe he can be a guy that puts up 25-35 pt range for us.

His best shot to be a point producer is wing with other relatively offensive players, imo.

I liked Evan's Danault Gallagher.

I like advorak a lot less than Danault, but perhaps Evan's Dvorak Gallagher. At least Evan's brings some speed.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Evans slowly starting to be a difference-maker out there. His line was huge in tonight's win. If only Armia and Lehkonen could hit the net once in a while... :facepalm:
I want to get him away from guys like armia and lehkonen…

he plays well with them but he’s got more in the tank and guys like armia and lehkonen are what they are, he needs to be with younger guys who are offensively talented, and have a lot of drive to play creatively.. armia is creativish and lehkonen is a grinder if I’ve ever seen one.. Gallagher like with next to zero offensive creativity

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Evans- 4+2 in 17 with +\- 0
Danault -3+6 in 19 with -1.
Considering Evans is on the 3rd line and pretty much zero pp time producing this, is awesome as we are paying a quarter of the salary for equally hard working checking center. Face offs? He was 63.8% last night ( 50.2% for the season). This is a SOLID signing and Jake Evans is an underrated asset to the team. Go Habs Go!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Said it multiple times last year when Danault wasn't extended and played the year as a pending UFA, that the one the organization sees as replacing Danault at a fraction of the price was Evans. Maybe down the road, Poehling will take that spot. But at this moment, Evans was more in a position to assume the "Danault role."

Not in terms of offence (because at the same age, Danault had 50+ points, although it helped he was getting about 18 mins of ice time and playing with more offensive players). But in terms of face-offs and defensive responsibilities, Evans was the guy that was to take Danault's place.

Danault made it known he was looking to be employed more offensively and didn't want to be pigeonholed as a 3C. They don't have that with Evans.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Ever since being put with Lehk/Gally that line has been very solid. If we actually do go into a rebuild, that whole line is good to keep around given they all work their asses off and their work ethic would hopefully rub off on younger guys.

Lehkonen/Evans are both relatively young and are on reasonable contracts. Ideally Gallagher's contract is moved, but I just can't see anyone taking him so I can't see him going anywhere.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it's unfair and not wise to make the comparison with Danault...different players and I don't want him to replace Danault or be the "next Danault".

He just needs to be himself and find his niche as a player, which he's doing.

I think he's got more offense than most give him credit for and I think the Habs did a solid job locking him down to a very affordable deal before the season began.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He has 6 pts on the season, but has has 3 pts in the last two games.

His ice time has increased, as well, playing over 15-16 min the last 4 games.

As @Trash Man mentioned, ever since they put Evans with Lehkonen and Gallagher, it's been working. The last few games together, they've been the hardest working and most consistent line.

Evans has 4 pts (2G, 2A) in his last 7 GP.
Gallagher has 5 pts (2G, 3A) in his last 7 GP.
Lehkonen has 6 pts (1G, 5A) in his last 7 GP.

With the way the season is going, we all pretty much turn to the prospects and young players to see positives. Evans has definitely been one of those bright spots.

He has 4 goals on the season, and is on pace for 18.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-11-28_19-57-43.png

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I couldn't find a player discussion thread for Jake Evans.

I'm a big fan of Evans. 6'0 right-handed centre who's quick, great defensively, solid at face-offs, and scores the occasional highlight-reel goal.

I think he's going to be our long-term 3C behind Suzuki and hopefully Shane Wright :).

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I couldn't find a player discussion thread for Jake Evans.

I'm a big fan of Evans. 6'0 right-handed centre who's quick, great defensively, solid at face-offs, and scores the occasional highlight-reel goal.

I think he's going to be our long-term 3C behind Suzuki and hopefully Shane Wright :).

Nice that he's finding chemistry with Pitlick and anderson. That line has an identity: fast and energetic. Good 3rd line.

Hope their chemistry can last. We'll see...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What's the deal with Evans on the wing? I thought DD was on crack but now MSL is using him there also...

Is there something we don't know?

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
What's the deal with Evans on the wing? I thought DD was on crack but now MSL is using him there also...

Apart from the fact he's barely been able to justify being the 4th line center over randos at age 25 I dunno. Dime a dozen player I wouldn't blink if he was traded for a bag of pucks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Apart from the fact he's barely been able to justify being the 4th line center over randos at age 25 I dunno. Dime a dozen player I wouldn't blink if he was traded for a bag of pucks.

It's cheap and probable to predict that with a guy like Evans. But every once in a while someone like Danault rises from the cracks! Evans has game but a late bloomer. I think he will be a useful bottom 6 player for us and don't underestimate age 25-30 years. A lot of players rise in that age range. Doubt he rises like Danault did but I think he could be a good 3rd liner and his maturity is not completed yet

6'-0", 176 lbs. I think he should focus on adding muscle and getting to around 190 lbs.

Reactions: Sagikev and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Even as nd is very versatile and can okay wing.

But yeah with our center depth, you'd think he'd be back st C.

Is Dvorak back. Speaking of Dvorak, I consider him as good as gone with Hughes focus on speed. But if we had to keep Dvorak because no one wants him, I'd put Evan's at C and Dvo on the wing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I missed a lot of games this year but glad to see Evans producing some decent numbers.

last year,

47-3-10-13

this year,

50-7-11-18

I've said it in the past but if you can get even a 4th liner out of a 7th round pick that's a win imo, but with Evans he's always shown improvement so i'm interested to see if he can continue to progress next year.

Reactions: 26Mats and Sagikev

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
19 points in his last 41 games. His 1.7m contract for 3 years starting next year could be pretty good

Reactions: 26Mats

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Under MSL, he had 17 points in 35 games, was +9 and 52% in the faceoff dot. Those numbers are even more impressive when you factor in he doesn't play on the PP and was stuck with a random assortment of wingers who lacked offensive talent.

Extending him at a cheap price for 3 years was one of the few solid contract decisions MB made on his way out. Given it was his first full season in the NHL, I am interested to see if Evans can continue to improve from his play to end the season.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes