Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
jake-evans-2021-45.jpg

DC6E7EC3-601E-4420-A28F5DAA6FB435B7_source.jpg

Alan Turing

Am I the only one, or do they look similar?

Reactions: Eegs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hope he's just working out some kinks and has himself a great season... this feels like a bit of a make/break year for him as far as cementing himself as a quality bottom 6 option vs potential waiver/demotion fodder that won't be a regular NHLer by the end of his current deal.

Reactions: Tuggy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In the 6 games Mitchell Stephens has played, and thus Evans has been in the top 9 playing with Monahan, Evans has 3 points in 6 games.

Not bad production.

So does Anderson. Monahan has 4 points, but 3 of them were on the pp.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Gotta say Evans is underrated. Guy forced his way out of the AHL as a 7th rounder and hasn't looked back since. None of our hyped forward prospects have lit up the AHL to his extent, and we only see him as a fourth liner. Best +/- on the team, adapts to any role he's given. Turning into a beast defensively, produces when he moves up the lineup. Few players get put in a strictly defensive role from youth hockey, as the most likely to make the NHL players are the ones putting up hundreds of points as kids, thus in most cases, defense is a skill developed in the NHL. We've seen Eller, Danault, and now Evans go from little awareness to great defensive players just from being exposed to it.

Gotta wonder if Evans gets moved with an extra low salary hit on his deal to a team like Tampa. They have Glendening drowning in that role at the moment. They're in danger of missing the playoffs. Perfect team to rip off. East is super tight, a good year to sell.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Gotta say Evans is underrated. Guy forced his way out of the AHL as a 7th rounder and hasn't looked back since. None of our hyped forward prospects have lit up the AHL to his extent, and we only see him as a fourth liner. Best +/- on the team, adapts to any role he's given. Turning into a beast defensively, produces when he moves up the lineup. Few players get put in a strictly defensive role from youth hockey, as the most likely to make the NHL players are the ones putting up hundreds of points as kids, thus in most cases, defense is a skill developed in the NHL. We've seen Eller, Danault, and now Evans go from little awareness to great defensive players just from being exposed to it.

Gotta wonder if Evans gets moved with an extra low salary hit on his deal to a team like Tampa. They have Glendening drowning in that role at the moment. They're in danger of missing the playoffs. Perfect team to rip off. East is super tight, a good year to sell.

I agree. Evans and his contract will be quite sought after for a team that is under a cap crunch and needs a dependable bottom 6 C. Plus he was great in our cup run.

Reactions: Tyson and 417

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Evans is fine and always has been. He can eat minutes, take faceoffs and kill penalties. He's a "set-it-and-forget-it" type of 4C.

Reactions: GrandBison

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Him and RHP make up a very good duo on the 4th line. I'm happy with them there. Young enough to be part of the team, both work hard, both are good defensively, good on the PK and they are talented enough to provide 20-30 points.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Jake is one point away (28) from matching his career best season (29) in 2021-22.

Next year is his final contract year at 1.7M. Good value for a depth role player

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Him and RHP make up a very good duo on the 4th line. I'm happy with them there. Young enough to be part of the team, both work hard, both are good defensively, good on the PK and they are talented enough to provide 20-30 points.
Put a physical player with them like Carrier or Tuch and it would be a nice fit yes

Reactions: Mrb1p

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Jake is one point away (28) from matching his career best season (29) in 2021-22.

Next year is his final contract year at 1.7M. Good value for a depth role player
With his steady play this year, Evans has evolved into something more than just a mere depth player. He is easily our top defensive center and is our top penalty killer. His skating raises the overall speed median of our team. In the cap environment all teams work in, Evans provides excellent value. We will have to pay more than $1.7 million to retain him at the end of his current contract. If we aren't willing to pay Evans more, there will be no shortage of other teams that will.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One of the few veterans on this team that I could see getting his contract extended when it runs out. He's been great defensively, chipping in offensively and has been a big reason why the PK has been so much better the last couple of months.

Can always use a versatile guy like him to move up and down the lineup, plus if guys like Beck/Xhekaj earn jobs as our bottom six centres in the future Evans can also be effective on the wing.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Put a physical player with them like Carrier or Tuch and it would be a nice fit yes

Could be Anderson while we're stuck with his contract:

RHP - Evan's- Anderson as the 4th line.

I've been waiting all year to see Anderson with RHP, but have had to miss the last two games.

Reactions: Vachon23

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Honestly, he is the perfect 4th liner. It's just too bad he will be past his prime by the time we are ready to compete.

If you can got something good for him (2nd rounder), he should be traded.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
They're will be more competition for C ice time next season with healthy Dvorak and Dach. Will be interesting to see what HuGo choose to do with Evans for 2025-26 as Beck, Mesar, Kapanen might be ready to make the jump by then

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Honestly, he is the perfect 4th liner. It's just too bad he will be past his prime by the time we are ready to compete.

If you can got something good for him (2nd rounder), he should be traded.
I disagree. I like his faceoffs ability, but for me a 4th liner has to bring physicality, which Evans definitely doesn't.

Nice offensive output this year, but that's mostly because of injuries and the team being so weak. On a good team he doesn't get the same ice time and opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad