Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I missed a lot of games this year but glad to see Evans producing some decent numbers.

last year,

47-3-10-13

this year,

50-7-11-18

I've said it in the past but if you can get even a 4th liner out of a 7th round pick that's a win imo, but with Evans he's always shown improvement so i'm interested to see if he can continue to progress next year.
Under MSL, he had 17 points in 35 games, was +9 and 52% in the faceoff dot. Those numbers are even more impressive when you factor in he doesn't play on the PP and was stuck with a random assortment of wingers who lacked offensive talent.

Extending him at a cheap price for 3 years was one of the few solid contract decisions MB made on his way out. Given it was his first full season in the NHL, I am interested to see if Evans can continue to improve from his play to end the season.

Good to see he was close to a 40 point pace over a full season under MSL.

With pretty much every player, we can throw out their season totals because so many of those games were under the DD era.

Will be interesting to see how certain players like Evan's, Dvorak, Poehling, Armia, Gallagher, Petry etc... do over a full season under MSL.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Many french media guys wanted to trade him at TDL. Crazy
He's a very solid player, but even on injury history alone I would trade him for a similar package.

He's growing into a fantastic #3 C though. And I hope for his sake, the injuries stop.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

And, he's played some of his best hockey on the wing, such as in the playoffs with the line: Evans-Danault-Gallagher

If we get another center, such as Suzuki-Dubois/Dvorak-Dach, no reason Evan's can't play top 9 on the wing - especially after the overpaid vets are cleared ou: Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, I would say Anderson too. Evan's can make plays,with offensive players.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Jake has started a bit slowly this season.
I am expecting much more than 1 assist after 12 games. He has a decent skill set.
Good as time as any for a review. And this isn't just him, as many are looking like cold diahrea in a dixie cup, but I kinda expected that he would have more than 2 points in 24 games. Might help if armia wasn't with a single...but How does our team have such little support from our vets and bottom 6. I thought our D squad was going to be the issue.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Besides the useless vets, I find Evans to be the most disappointing player so far this season. I really believed he had untapped offensive potential but he's shown nothing this year. 1-9-10 in 41 games, that's brutal.

Reactions: rik schau

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Besides the useless vets, I find Evans to be the most disappointing player so far this season. I really believed he had untapped offensive potential but he's shown nothing this year. 1-9-10 in 41 games, that's brutal.
Was much better last season some how. Beck should be able to replace him as soon as next season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Was much better last season some how. Beck should be able to replace him as soon as next season.
As much as I appreciate how hard Jake Evans has worked from being a 7th rounder to becoming an NHL player, Habs need to improve on players like Evans.

Better suited for 4th Line RW perhaps

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm still waiting to see him in the top 9 with two good offensive players. The only good offensive players we have are Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Slaf and Dvo. By my count he has yet to play with two of those players at a time for even one shift, let alone the requiste amount of games to build chemistry.

Let's get more talent and then see if he can't be a 40 - 50 point COMPLEMENTARY offensive player. (yes, he'll never be a line driver, but for 1.7M what did you expect?)

Gabriel Sagala

Sep 8, 2019
I'm still waiting to see him in the top 9 with two good offensive players. The only good offensive players we have are Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Slaf and Dvo. By my count he has yet to play with two of those players at a time for even one shift, let alone the requiste amount of games to build chemistry.

Let's get more talent and then see if he can't be a 40 - 50 point COMPLEMENTARY offensive player. (yes, he'll never be a line driver, but for 1.7M what did you expect?)
40-50 pts for a 3.5 C liner

Can I know your expectation for a 2 C and for a 1 C ?

that's a lot of points for this kind of player / role IMO

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I mean he's been getting 4th line minutes usually with some true deadweight and producing for 20 points. That's far from brutal, 20 points is pretty standard for 4th line players. Although I do understand the disappointment because there was hope of him being 3rd liner who could even step into the top-6 for limited time like Byron.

One thing that's worth noting in respect to offence is his start to the season was so dry, He had 1 point in the first 19 games, but that also means in the 22 games that followed he has 9 points which is quite good production from the bottom-6 and more in line with expectations coming into the season. He's still got a good shot at finishing the year with decent #s.

And it's worth noting Evans was never a guy who would produce much via individual plays, he will always be somewhat reliant on his linemates scoring. So given that most of his minutes were spent alongside Drouin (0 goals), Dadonov (1 goal), Pitlick (1 goal), Pezzetta (2 goals), Armia (3 goals), there just wasn't much scoring for him to actually pick up points. Like just looking at Armia for a second, the guy finally scores after sitting on 0 goals for so long and Evans has an assist on each of those 3 goals.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
40-50 pts for a 3.5 C liner

Can I know your expectation for a 2 C and for a 1 C ?

that's a lot of points for this kind of player / role IMO

Well if he's playing with two of Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Slaf, and Dvo, he's not in the role of a 3.5c. In fact he'd probably be playing wing if he played with two of those players.

So, no, I don't think he can score 40 - 50 points in the role of 3.5c. And, I don't think our current bottom six wingers are conducive to any 3.5c in the league putting up good offensive numbers. Look at Dvo's numbers. They're well below his career numbers - because he's playing with crap players.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I had high expectations for him with how he finished last year under MSL, however he's had opportunities to move up in the lineup this year and didn't take advantage of them.

I do however admire that he is one of the few who still shows up every game and looks like he gives a shit.

Gabriel Sagala

Sep 8, 2019
Well if he's playing with two of Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Slaf, and Dvo, he's not in the role of a 3.5c. In fact he'd probably be playing wing if he played with two of those players.

So, no, I don't think he can score 40 - 50 points in the role of 3.5c. And, I don't think our current bottom six wingers are conducive to any 3.5c in the league putting up good offensive numbers. Look at Dvo's numbers. They're well below his career numbers - because he's playing with crap players.
Oh ok, didn't realise it was the expectation on top 6, my bad

Reactions: 26Mats

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
As much as I appreciate how hard Jake Evans has worked from being a 7th rounder to becoming an NHL player, Habs need to improve on players like Evans.

Better suited for 4th Line RW perhaps
Last season version of Evans was fine,don't know what happened to him this year.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad