Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
They should just put someone else on the 3rd line center and put Evans on the 4th line.
Give him PK time and move on. He's signed 1.7m not 5.1m.

Though I don't expect Evans to live up to his contract, I still think that they should give him more than two games.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He's not a 3 c and it's evident
I disagree, he could very well continue to develop into a pretty good 3rd line center. I would not go more than that but he can play the defensive side and the offence could come with the right chemistry.

He never had an offensive talent even in the junior. It's safe to say he won't finish with 20 goals and 25 assists.

Huh? He never played major junior. He played in the OJHL as a kid and scored at just over a point per game while averaging 0.82/ppg in the NCAA. I don't think he will be a top end scorer by any means, especially goals but overall he could reach 35 to 40 points with the right wingers.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I disagree, he could very well continue to develop into a pretty good 3rd line center. I would not go more than that but he can play the defensive side and the offence could come with the right chemistry.

The development part has its limits. Not a lot of NHL seasons...but already 25 years old. I do think he should and could take a leap this year. But there's not 5 years left for development in his case.

Reactions: Vachon23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do people get mad at management (which is warranted btw) for lack of development with certain players...yet have no patience when players are actually developing (see Jake Evans)?

Reactions: le_sean

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The development part has its limits. Not a lot of NHL seasons...but already 25 years old. I do think he should and could take a leap this year. But there's not 5 years left for development in his case.

True for whatever reason he played the whole 4 years of NCAA which of course why he has less AHL and NHL seasons.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Why do people get mad at management (which is warranted btw) for lack of development with certain players...yet have no patience when players are actually developing (see Jake Evans)?

Went from 7th rounder to Notre Dame’s best player to Laval’s best player and people are saying he’s a bum that just stopped developing because of two games in which he looked fine.

Reactions: Sagikev and 417

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He never had an offensive talent even in the junior. It's safe to say he won't finish with 20 goals and 25 assists.

I know, but now that the Habs signed him, and felt that he would replace Kotkaniemi, they might as well give him a fair shake.

Regardless, there's none else.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Too early, but yes, I've never seen him as anything more than a good #4C if he continues to develop.

We'll see. It's not like we have any better options at the moment.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Well obviously, as you know, I'm way less about developing, than some of us here....But there is a world of a difference between how you develop a 18 year old kid and a 25 year old one. Like a world. And stats aren't on Jake's side. 7th rounder that played 4 years of College? While some did follow that path....is it less than 1% who happened to succeed and be a key player in the league?

Personnally, I wouldn't care if the goal of my team would be clear as day. We rebuild? Fine. Geez, play him on th 2nd line. RAck the 1st rounders. Truly rebuild through the draft. But this team has a 10M$ goalie in it. Aging d-men racking salaries too. Quite few goal scorers racking money as well. The time is now. How can you mix the time is now with let's be patient and let's develop 5 to 7 guys? Doing that will, again, make us a middle of the pack team. Rinse and repeat.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Went from 7th rounder to Notre Dame’s best player to Laval’s best player and people are saying he’s a bum that just stopped developing because of two games in which he looked fine.

Strangely, there's a guy like that with cinderella stories that became the farce and the joke of this board....From a non-drafted player, to a ECHL star, to a AHL star, to a 60 point centerman in tihe NHL. But the only thing people remembers is that he was tiny, he sucked defensively, he was Therrien's pet and was getting way too much icetime.

So in essence, the route you take to get what you are should be applauded. But nothing will change the fact that you need results. My point isn't about the 2 games. Tyler Bertuzzi is not a 328-goal player. Point is IF he doesn't bring the points....and can't help the PK...what's the point in having him in the lineup?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well obviously, as you know, I'm way less about developing, than some of us here....But there is a world of a difference between how you develop a 18 year old kid and a 25 year old one.
Danault broke out essentially at 25yrs old...same age as Evans is now.

I'm not suggesting that Evans is going to be as good as Danault, I don't think he will...but there's nothing that suggests he won't be able to fill that 3C role. It doesn't have to be TODAY...he just needs to continue making strides and gaining experience in the NHL.

Like a world. And stats aren't on Jake's side. 7th rounder that played 4 years of College? While some did follow that path....is it less than 1% who happened to succeed and be a key player in the league?
Well that may be...but Jake Evans is going to be a key player for this team.

Personnally, I wouldn't care if the goal of my team would be clear as day. We rebuild? Fine. Geez, play him on th 2nd line. RAck the 1st rounders. Truly rebuild through the draft. But this team has a 10M$ goalie in it. Aging d-men racking salaries too. Quite few goal scorers racking money as well. The time is now. How can you mix the time is now with let's be patient and let's develop 5 to 7 guys? Doing that will, again, make us a middle of the pack team. Rinse and repeat.
There's no other choice...and there's no telling what this team could be.

You can argue it's a playoff team...you can argue it's a playoff bubble team or you can argue it's a bottom 5-7 team.

Let's just let the season play out and see where the chips fall.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

I'm not suggesting that Evans is going to be as good as Danault, I don't think he will...but there's nothing that suggests he won't be able to fill that 3C role. It doesn't have to be TODAY...he just needs to continue making strides and gaining experience in the NHL.

You can argue it's a playoff team...you can argue it's a playoff bubble team or you can argue it's a bottom 5-7 team.

The issue is that I don't see the offensive ability in Evans. Danault still had decent hands and fairly good vision as a passer.

Evans has really good wheels, but I don't see what other aspect of his game that indicates he will develop an offensive streak.

I'd love to be wrong, and don't mind them trying, but I don't see the offense.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

While Danault was a 1st rounder. Everybody had seen what he could have brought. It was just a question of doing it. While Evans didn't fall that far because he had the tangibles and intangibles Danault had. Danault had that talent. He then had to bring it to NHL level. Evans had to build his own talent first. And develop it after.

Well I'll take your own let's just let the season play out and see where the chips fall before ALREADY knowing he'd be a key player for this team. Right now, let,s not care about the points...but be a PK monster. He's the 2nd most used PK player.

There is no other choice because that,s what the team elected to do. There's unfortunately or fortunately no other choice because we went to the Cup Finals mirage last year. A loss in 5 and this summer might have very well be completely different. And maybe for the better as much as I'M not a bergie fan.

At the start of the season, not after those 2 games, I said there were a huge bubble playoff team. Not making it would be way less surprising than making it. Carey Price alone was able to make this team better than they should have been. Now...maybe we'll see exactly what it is.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
One thing is sure....I started to already read how people miss Gustaffson watching Wideman...or how they miss Alzner watching Savard....geez, I don't know how much we'll miss Danault, but based on those analysis, we might very well call him a hall of famer at the end of the year...lol

Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
So no one is saying that Jake Evans is better than Danault anymore? That seemed to be a thing during the cup run and over the summer.

Edit: obviously I was reading the wrong items...

He's not overpaid. He may or may not have offense and third line ability.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Strangely, there's a guy like that with cinderella stories that became the farce and the joke of this board....From a non-drafted player, to a ECHL star, to a AHL star, to a 60 point centerman in tihe NHL. But the only thing people remembers is that he was tiny, he sucked defensively, he was Therrien's pet and was getting way too much icetime.

So in essence, the route you take to get what you are should be applauded. But nothing will change the fact that you need results. My point isn't about the 2 games. Tyler Bertuzzi is not a 328-goal player. Point is IF he doesn't bring the points....and can't help the PK...what's the point in having him in the lineup?

Evans was on pace for a 22 point season as a rookie in an extremely limited role offensively with no real TOI. So I don’t know where it’s coming from that he’s incapable of getting points. We’re again judging a player on two games.

Advanced stats say Danault was a far worse PKer than Evans. How is that the case considering he was so good defensively at EV? PK is all about system. The players are doing what they are being told to do and it just doesn’t work. They also had bad goaltending last night.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The issue is that I don't see the offensive ability in Evans. Danault still had decent hands and fairly good vision as a passer.

Evans has really good wheels, but I don't see what other aspect of his game that indicates he will develop an offensive streak.

I'd love to be wrong, and don't mind them trying, but I don't see the offense.[/QUOTE]
I certainly don't think he's got high end offense but I think he's got underrated hands and shot, he's also got a great motor.

I've always been rooting for him.

Only worry I have is his durability, he really sells out for every puck and doesn't always protect himself accordingly.

But I think he's got 25-30pt potential and it's hard to ask for more from a 3rd C these days.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
While Danault was a 1st rounder. Everybody had seen what he could have brought. It was just a question of doing it. While Evans didn't fall that far because he had the tangibles and intangibles Danault had. Danault had that talent. He then had to bring it to NHL level. Evans had to build his own talent first. And develop it after.
Yet Jake Evans was a more productive player in the AHL.

I don't think the talent gap is that big between both players. Jake needs to continue gaining experience, I see him topping out as a Chris Kelly'ish type of player.

Well I'll take your own let's just let the season play out and see where the chips fall before ALREADY knowing he'd be a key player for this team. Right now, let,s not care about the points...but be a PK monster. He's the 2nd most used PK player.
I just meant that for better or worse...he's it right now, there's no other potential options on this roster.

It's sink or swim.

There is no other choice because that,s what the team elected to do. There's unfortunately or fortunately no other choice because we went to the Cup Finals mirage last year. A loss in 5 and this summer might have very well be completely different. And maybe for the better as much as I'M not a bergie fan.
Well it was also Danault's choice here let's be fair...I don't necessarily have a problem with it, the Habs had a price for Danault and a role for him moving forward, both of which didn't fall in line with his career aspirations as this point.

It's just the way it goes...

Smile because it happened :)

At the start of the season, not after those 2 games, I said there were a huge bubble playoff team. Not making it would be way less surprising than making it. Carey Price alone was able to make this team better than they should have been. Now...maybe we'll see exactly what it is.
I'm not drawing any conclusions from this team for another dozen games or so...too many variables and moving parts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His goal tonight is why some of us think he has offensive potential. This isn't the first time he's scored a goal like that.

Put him on the wing with two offensive players and he may be able to produce. But I don't think it would be there for him at center. At center he's a 4c, and a good top 9 injury replacement. On the wing, he can play on an offensive line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad