Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
You can probably attribute it to the struggle of so many vets up front.
Evans is still bringing alot to the table with his defensive responsibilities though.
Yes they have been horrid,but last year was similar.This season though,more often than not,he had Pezzeta as a line mate. Both should be easily replaced as soon as next season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yes they have been horrid,but last year was similar.This season though,more often than not,he had Pezzeta as a line mate. Both should be easily replaced as soon as next season.
I talk out of both sides of my mouth when it comes to Jake Evans.
Yes he can be easily replaced is one thought. The other is that he has developed into a solid and reliable 4th line Center that can eat minutes on the PK and is also already reliable enough to be used late in games to try and hold leads. Every team needs this type of player because they don't break the bank.
Oh the conundrum....

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Yes he can be easily replaced is one thought. The other is that he has developed into a solid and reliable 4th line Center that can eat minutes on the PK and is also already reliable enough to be used late in games to try and hold leads. Every team needs this type of player because they don't break the bank.
Oh the conundrum....
For sure,but on a contending,you kind of want more, I know I would.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh the conundrum....

We are going to have to keep Evans cause we really don't have NHL ready centers in the pipeline. I expected more from Evans this season but he's been more of the same. It's not good or bad and his cap hit is good. If we trade him, we will have to sign someone to replace him.

I don't see the point of trading Evans for a 3rd rounder and then trying to sign someone to replace him for the same cap hit?

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
You can probably attribute it to the struggle of so many vets up front.
Evans is still bringing alot to the table with his defensive responsibilities though.
Oh ya he's bringing a lot defensively? That's why we're bottom 5. Give me a break. He sucks offensively and defensively. There's nothing good about him.

• Haha
Reactions: Destopcorner

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
We are going to have to keep Evans cause we really don't have NHL ready centers in the pipeline. I expected more from Evans this season but he's been more of the same. It's not good or bad and his cap hit is good. If we trade him, we will have to sign someone to replace him.

I don't see the point of trading Evans for a 3rd rounder and then trying to sign someone to replace him for the same cap hit?
Beck should be fine for next season and Dach should move to center and don't forget about what could happen at the draft and maybe even PLD and they still have Dvorak.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Beck should be fine for next season and Dach should move to center and don't forget about what could happen at the draft and maybe even PLD and they still have Dvorak.

Personally, I don't see Beck on a higher growth path than Suzuki. I very much value Beck but I am not pegging him as a center solution for us for another 2 years at least.

I like Dach as a puck possession winger who can play center as insurance in case of injuries. If we get one more injury at center this year, we are in bigger trouble.

Ideally, we have Suzuki, Dubois, and one of Monahan/Dovrak with Evans. Then when Monahan and Dvorak expire, Beck may be ready. Timing would fall in line well.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Personally, I don't see Beck on a higher growth path than Suzuki. I very much value Beck but I am not pegging him as a center solution for us for another 2 years at least.

I like Dach as a puck possession winger who can play center as insurance in case of injuries. If we get one more injury at center this year, we are in bigger trouble.

Ideally, we have Suzuki, Dubois, and one of Monahan/Dovrak with Evans. Then when Monahan and Dvorak expire, Beck may be ready. Timing would fall in line well.
I wasn't suggesting that Beck has a higher ceiling than Suzuki,but coming in at 4th line minutes,he should be able to do that. KK did fine when sheltered with Lekonen and Armia and he played more than 4th line minutes.

As for Dach, to each their own.

Heck,can always see how Larry feels about coming back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wasn't suggesting that Beck has a higher ceiling than Suzuki,but coming in at 4th line minutes,he should be able to do that. KK did fine when sheltered with Lekonen and Armia and he played more than 4th line minutes.

As for Dach, to each their own.

Heck,can always see how Larry feels about coming back.

I prefer Beck to play his CHL season at age 19 like Suzuki. Suzuki started in the NHL on the 4th line at wing for his age 20 season and then moved up the line-up as the season went along. He played on Domi's wing and then stole his job.

I think Beck will take longer than Suzuki, not shorter. I prefer him to play CHL at age 19 and WJC cause he is likely a shoe in. Then he plays center in the AHL for his age 20 season with a possible few NHL games mixed in. Then we go from there for his age 21 season

I'd keep Evans for the depth center role.

Oh ya he's bringing a lot defensively? That's why we're bottom 5. Give me a break. He sucks offensively and defensively. There's nothing good about him.

Nothing to dwell about. He's OK in the 4th line role. If we trade him, we have to replace him and if we trade him, we won't get anything higher than a 3rd rounder. I just don't see the point.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I prefer Beck to play his CHL season at age 19 like Suzuki. Suzuki started in the NHL on the 4th line at wing for his age 20 season and then moved up the line-up as the season went along. He played on Domi's wing and then stole his job.

I think Beck will take longer than Suzuki, not shorter.
I don't watch enough but from what I remember,Beck now is a much better skater than Suzuki was. Only time will tell what unfolds,as long as there is a vast improvement next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't watch enough but from what I remember,Beck now is a much better skater than Suzuki was. Only time will tell what unfolds,as long as there is a vast improvement next season.

It's wishful thinking to push or expect Beck's development track to be better than Suzuki. I value Beck and I like him a lot but I'm not rushing him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I agree with this, but I'm also in favor of the tank. We see how much removing Monahan helps the tank. We're now on a trajectory to get one of Bedard, Fantelli, Carleson, or Mishkov. That would be huge. And, if we move Monahan, we should get another top 5 pick next year.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's wishful thinking to push or expect Beck's development track to be better than Suzuki. I value Beck and I like him a lot but I'm not rushing him.
You realize that that's not what I'm saying right? just that he should be able to handle 4th line minutes,but have to wait and see next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with this, but I'm also in favor of the tank. We see how much removing Monahan helps the tank. We're now on a trajectory to get one of Bedard, Fantelli, Carleson, or Mishkov. That would be huge. And, if we move Monahan, we should get another top 5 pick next year.

I don't think Gorton/Hughes plans are to tank again next year but maybe it happens again.

We will see where both the Panthers pick and the Habs pick ends up and we will also see if we trade for Dubois.

We have a better shot at Michkov vs the others. It's possible we are not able to draft any of those 4.

You realize that that's not what I'm saying right? just that he should be able to handle 4th line minutes,but have to wait and see next season.

I know but I don't want to rush him to the NHL at age 19 so he can handle 4th line minutes. That's what I call rushing a prospect. Let him play out his age 19 CHL season bud

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I don't think Gorton/Hughes plans are to tank again next year but maybe it happens again.

We will see where both the Panthers pick and the Habs pick ends up and we will also see if we trade for Dubois.

We have a better shot at Michkov vs the others. It's possible we are not able to draft any of those 4.

I know but I don't want to rush him to the NHL at age 19 so he can handle 4th line minutes. That's what I call rushing a prospect. Let him play out his age 19 CHL season bud
Most players work their way up the lineup,if they deem that they can handle it,no worries.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most players work their way up the lineup,if they deem that they can handle it,no worries.

Not many start in the NHL before the age of 20. You're trying to rush him cause you like him. It's not good development management. He's not a grade A, he is a B+ trending well. Let him develop properly and force his way on our roster vs penciling him in. This is what most teams do with an asset like this.

Guys like Heineman and Farrell have a good shot at making the Habs next year. Who knows with Ylonen and Mysak and Roy. Beck is going to leap from them all at age 19 next year? I doubt it

Last edited:

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Not many start in the NHL before the age of 20. You're trying to rush him cause you like him. It's not good development management. He's not a grade A, he is a B+ trending well. Let him develop properly and force his way on our roster vs penciling him in. This is what most teams to with an asset like this.
You have to see how he or anyone performs before claiming it's rushing. Is Slaf rushed?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have to see how he or anyone performs before claiming it's rushing. Is Slaf rushed?

Yes, you have to see how they perform but until then, you don't pencil them in as a NHL player at age 19.

Very low % he ends up on a faster track vs Suzuki. It's wishful thinking. Possible, but not probable.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Mishkov could go #2, I've seen in some circles people starting to talk again about how incredible he will be. Afterall, last year Nemec went #2..

Trading Monahan is a huge blow to our Hope's of being competitive next year - unless HuGo are confident they'll be able to land a 2c in the offseason trade or ufa markets when they look at the landscape.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Time will tell

Over the years, I have learned to avoid pumping up prospects because I did it before. It's best to be conservative and focus on stock piling as many of them as you can. You don't rush them and let them force their way up.

Beck is a very good B+ type trending well. That's as far as go with him today

Mishkov could go #2, I've seen in some circles people starting to talk again about how incredible he will be. Afterall, last year Nemec went #2..

Trading Monahan is a huge blow to our Hope's of being competitive next year - unless HuGo are confident they'll be able to land a 2c in the offseason trade or ufa markets when they look at the landscape.

Michkov will slip for two reasons. His size/weight and the KHL contract/Russian factor. I say 4-7 range is where he goes but he might be taken 4th or 5th and we pick 6th. Difficult to guess right. Easy decision to take him if we have the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick and he is on the board. Comes into the NHL at age 21 and develops in the KHL. He is 159lbs this season I believe. Needs to put on more muscle

I have no idea how we do next year and a lot depends on what we do at this deadline, on draft day, and in UFA. I don't think Gorton/Hughes have plans to tank again next year but it might be faith they can't avoid.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Over the years, I have learned to avoid pumping up prospects because I did it before. It's best to be conservative and focus on stock piling as many of them as you can. You don't rush them and let them force their way up.

Beck is a very good B+ type trending well. That's as far as go with him today

Michkov will slip for two reasons. His size/weight and the KHL contract/Russian factor. I say 4-7 range is where he goes but he might be taken 4th or 5th and we pick 6th. Difficult to guess right. Easy decision to take him if we have the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick and he is on the board. Comes into the NHL at age 21 and develops in the KHL. He is 159lbs this season I believe. Needs to put on more muscle

I have no idea how we do next year and a lot depends on what we do at this deadline, on draft day, and in UFA. I don't think Gorton/Hughes have plans to tank again next year but it might be faith they can't avoid.
It's interesting because Hughes said in an interview there is no time line and things change based on opportunities that present themselves. He said he didnt anticipate getting a player like Monahan, and that changes the picture. But, in that interview, he didn't say whether that means Monahan accelerates the time frame for being competitive or gives us more futures for the rebuild, as in the 1st we already got plus whatever we get if he's moves at the TDL...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Thought Evans had his best game of the year last match and played very well the game before that too. Only player with spark too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad