Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like they had a nightmare with the Brian Holloway situation. I remember Pie and Holloway on the back of the Herald on Christmas Day 20 years ago as an unusual family thing,little did he know.

Agree very sad - many of those Big Bad Bruins had some very unfortunate times

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I'm listening to the Safety Blitz while walking my dog and Rodney Harrison just went off on analytics people against actually watching the game - Harrison said their is value but his premise was 'watch the tape'

We know DeBrusk is as tough as any player in the league after the details of his injury in the CHL came out

It's really all about skating/pace and playing 200 feet

Sounds like he has improved the 3 zone game and his skating appears fine

I thought he looked green in the preseason games but that was a long time and many games ago

I'm pretty sure I told you that he got hit in the nuts last year? How many more details do you need?:laugh:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

DeBrusk plays the left wing and is considered to be an intelligent two-way forward who makes good plays both with and without the puck. He has a strong open-ice speed burst that enables him to find lanes and get open consistently. To top it off, he battles for loose pucks and possesses some creativity with a decent shot.

At this point, the Bruins only have two left wingers, Brad Marchand and Frank Vatrano, with secure spots on the roster. DeBrusk will most likely be competing with Matt Beleskey, Tim Schaller and other hopeful prospects for a roster spot.

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-wave-of-potential-bruins-forwards/

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

DeBrusk plays the left wing and is considered to be an intelligent two-way forward who makes good plays both with and without the puck. He has a strong open-ice speed burst that enables him to find lanes and get open consistently. To top it off, he battles for loose pucks and possesses some creativity with a decent shot.

At this point, the Bruins only have two left wingers, Brad Marchand and Frank Vatrano, with secure spots on the roster. DeBrusk will most likely be competing with Matt Beleskey, Tim Schaller and other hopeful prospects for a roster spot.

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-wave-of-potential-bruins-forwards/

A little off topic from that article, but I'm a fan of Vatrano and see his goal scoring potential, but is his spot actually secured next season?

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A little off topic from that article, but I'm a fan of Vatrano and see his goal scoring potential, but is his spot actually secured next season?

I doubt that any spots are actually secured for next season, outside of: Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci, Backes, mayyybe Nash and Acciari.

Vatrano will be competing with DeBrusk, JFK, Kuraly, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Czarnik, Heinen, Blidh, Gabrielle, Fitzgerald, Koppanen, Cave, hopefully Bjork, and whoever is also signed/resigned/left of Spooner, Hayes, Beleskey, Stafford, Schaller, Moore, etc...

Probably 5-6 spots up for grabs.

On D, secured are: Krug, Chara, Carlo, McAvoy... plus whoever is left of K.Miller, McQuaid, C.Miller, Morrow. Not much will be open there if everyone stays around. If we lose a couple, then maybe O'Gara, Zboril, Grzelcyk, Cross, Lauzon, Johansson will have shot.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

there`s not a chance they have penciled him in for a spot next year. In all honesty, not sure he`ll be on the team next year if a deal is out there this summer that makes sense for the team in it`s goal to get deeper but means losing Vatrano.

He had a tough year coming out of camp with an injury, that`s tough, never really caught up to speed, have to love his shot but he`s not a guy I look at as being a sure thing for a lineup spot

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He needs to put himself in the spots to get that shot off. Also accepting passes to shoot more. I see on more shot for a spot. Many kids lurking.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He needs to put himself in the spots to get that shot off. Also accepting passes to shoot more. I see on more shot for a spot. Many kids lurking.

he better work hard over the summer, he`s still learning the NHL game, I "think" he`s played essentially a total of one full season in the big`s and has put up almost 20 goals so good start but as you said, he won`t be handed a rosters spot simply for showing up at camp

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Nice article on Debrusk in the Globe.

I liked this bit:

At his best, said Ferguson, DeBrusk show a penchant for breaking away from checkers and preventing them from catching up to regain the puck. He also willingly closed down shooting lanes and dropped his gloves when called for — a growing rarity in today’s game. That combo of new-age skill and old-school grit could serve him well these next couple of weeks. Training camp feistiness and fisticuffs have a way of catching a coach’s eye.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I've been so worried that DeBrusk was being rushed into a spot this year and he would put up "meh" numbers, resulting in lower confidence and future production. You can see his confidence swell out there right now and you can't ask for a better player than Krejci for a finishing winger in the NHL.

I wanted to see him spend another year in the AHL and double his scoring output but if he can play like this then I was dead wrong .... and loving every minute of it.

Reactions: the blank

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I've been so worried that DeBrusk was being rushed into a spot this year and he would put up "meh" numbers, resulting in lower confidence and future production. You can see his confidence swell out there right now and you can't ask for a better player than Krejci for a finishing winger in the NHL.

I wanted to see him spend another year in the AHL and double his scoring output but if he can play like this then I was dead wrong .... and loving every minute of it.

kids will ebb and flow... id expect more growing pains but i see true long term success here. the talent is self evident always but now we are seeing smarts and work ethic too

mix in the confidence factor and he deserves this opportunity.

i didnt think theyd do two rookies in top 6 but debrusk and bjork are deserving of their spot to open this season

Reactions: patty59

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Kid works hard and always had to being smaller then most all his life. The hands he showed on the goal are what he can do. The deft little tip up on the checkers stick so he could pick it up was excellent. That is not something you can teach, being in the right spot and muscle memory to move to the side to catch the corner was pure skill and tenacity that he brings, plus he has NHL genes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kid works hard and always had to being smaller then most all his life. The hands he showed on the goal are what he can do. The deft little tip up on the checkers stick so he could pick it up was excellent. That is not something you can teach, being in the right spot and muscle memory to move to the side to catch the corner was pure skill and tenacity that he brings, plus he has NHL genes.
Great assessment - went to game and sit behind net he scored and he shows exactly what you described

I am rooting for him on many levels

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Debrusk Krejci Bjork looked like they have been playing for a long time

If this clicks plus we all know marchand bergeron pasta will take of business

Wow

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Really liked what he looked like tonight. One telling moment was when he went into the boards to battle for the puck and came out with it. Jack even sounded surprised that he won it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

First NHL goal.

As nice a first goal as that was, I think his next rush was even prettier. The one where Krejci hit him with speed coming across the blue line, DeBrusk put the puck under the D's stick, showed a little burst of speed to get a step on the D and then used his shoulder to power by. Then snapped a shot top corner that Rinne gloved. Awesome combination of skills on that rush, smarts, speed, power, hands, poise...

I want to take a closer look at his shot. I haven't seen it enough and I wonder if that's an area he can improve. Marchand's shot has really developed over the years and he could be a good mentor.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Colt, gotta give you props. We don’t always agree on our player assessments, but you are one of the few guys who is willing to admit if if you think you made a mistake.

Love JD’s hands in tight, and as you said, playing with DK, he should get plenty of those chances.

Unrelated, but I remember watching his Dad play. I don’t remember him being that LARGE.

Reactions: 00BW and Colt.45Orr

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I was down on him coming out of preseason. Didn’t really see what others were apparently seeing.

Really liked what I saw tonight. Great game for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad