Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
With all the other prospects in the B's system I feel like DeBrusk gets forgotten about lol.

Not anymore

I'm a baseball guy first and analytics are vital when assessing a player

It has its place in hockey but it would be the smallest slice of pie

DeBrusk was devalued by the HF Bruins analytical community

However, fans like me and Joe who understand the place of analytics but watched him play for Providence knew he is a legit prospect and shouldn't be discounted after 10 games in the AHL while still listed as a teenager on his birth certificate

Same goes for Heinen

The Bruins will hit on one if not both of these as quality top 6-9

My one stat I love though is DeBrusk near 2:1 assist to goal ratio while leading league in shots for all rookies

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You have to watch DeBrusk in person, stats don't tell the story. He has an NHL game. Protects puck well, makes the smart simple play, doesn't panic or turn puck over, has very underrated hands. I predict we see him on 3rd line LW very soon. Time will tell if he can become a top-6 offensive contributor

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You have to watch DeBrusk in person, stats don't tell the story. He has an NHL game. Protects puck well, makes the smart simple play, doesn't panic or turn puck over, has very underrated hands. I predict we see him on 3rd line LW very soon. Time will tell if he can become a top-6 offensive contributor

I'm listening to the Safety Blitz while walking my dog and Rodney Harrison just went off on analytics people against actually watching the game - Harrison said their is value but his premise was 'watch the tape'

We know DeBrusk is as tough as any player in the league after the details of his injury in the CHL came out

It's really all about skating/pace and playing 200 feet

Sounds like he has improved the 3 zone game and his skating appears fine

I thought he looked green in the preseason games but that was a long time and many games ago

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm listening to the Safety Blitz while walking my dog and Rodney Harrison just went off on analytics people against actually watching the game - Harrison said their is value but his premise was 'watch the tape'

We know DeBrusk is as tough as any player in the league after the details of his injury in the CHL came out

It's really all about skating/pace and playing 200 feet

Sounds like he has improved the 3 zone game and his skating appears fine

I thought he looked green in the preseason games but that was a long time and many games ago

At the time they traded roster players away and were compiling all these picks, I was a little more than skeptical. Fast forward to now, and I'm all in on the youth movement! Cannot wait for training camp this year to see some of these guys. This is a very exciting time in the team's history.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
I've only had time to get to 12 P-Bruins games this year, I've loved what I've seen from debrusk. Exactly what the third line needs. Good vision, skating, great passing!
I need to be sold on Heinen.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

That's what I thought when I saw him in juniors a few times. Just seemed to get it. I don't catch Providence - so am glad to read that take on him and that he's passing the eye-test as I generally trust that from people who know more than looking at stats.
With the three picks - people saw Senyshyn's speed, flash and goals and Zboril's lack of production but I personally thought that DeBrusk and Zboril would have an easier transition to the NHL because they played an 'NHL style' - if that makes sense.

Hoping they get a kinda Michael Ryder impact out of DeBrusk. Not the 30 goals but hopefully more consistency. Senyshyn - I hope they get a Chuck Kobasew clone. While Zboril becomes a poor man's version of Jay-Bo.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
That's what I thought when I saw him in juniors a few times. Just seemed to get it. I don't catch Providence - so am glad to read that take on him and that he's passing the eye-test as I generally trust that from people who know more than looking at stats.
With the three picks - people saw Senyshyn's speed, flash and goals and Zboril's lack of production but I personally thought that DeBrusk and Zboril would have an easier transition to the NHL because they played an 'NHL style' - if that makes sense.

Hoping they get a kinda Michael Ryder impact out of DeBrusk. Not the 30 goals but hopefully more consistency. Senyshyn - I hope they get a Chuck Kobasew clone. While Zboril becomes a poor man's version of Jay-Bo.
I think a better comparison of zboril is Ed Jovanovski. I'm fine with that.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Not anymore

However, fans like me and Joe who understand the place of analytics but watched him play for Providence knew he is a legit prospect and shouldn't be discounted after 10 games in the AHL while still listed as a teenager on his birth certificate

Same goes for Heinen

My one stat I love though is DeBrusk near 2:1 assist to goal ratio while leading league in shots for all rookies

If you're a baseball guy first and you're all over hockey,when do you eat?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Talking knowledge

I been playing an APBA baseball league with friends since high school.

Our World Series and draft is tomorrow and I'm actually reading up on Trevor Story, Orlando Arcia, and Dansby Swanson with my first round pick as the 98.5 Hockey Show plays in the background

I love hockey but I was pretty much forced into it. My folks had Bruins season tickets and they dragged me to games as a kid- luckily for me they were front row loge and Bobby Orr was just starting out

But as you can see from many of my insane posts over the year I'm just an emotional fan and enjoying this board learning every day

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bob Beers just said when he talks to (NHL) people the first name mentioned is Jake DeBrusk.

Beers thinks he's Krejci's LW next year

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not anymore

Same goes for Heinen

Agreed.

The few times I've seen him play he showed vision and the ability to deliver the pass in the short window. Not really many (any?) Bruins wingers with that quality.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Talking knowledge

I been playing an APBA baseball league with friends since high school.

Our World Series and draft is tomorrow and I'm actually reading up on Trevor Story, Orlando Arcia, and Dansby Swanson with my first round pick as the 98.5 Hockey Show plays in the background

I love hockey but I was pretty much forced into it. My folks had Bruins season tickets and they dragged me to games as a kid- luckily for me they were front row loge and Bobby Orr was just starting out

But as you can see from many of my insane posts over the year I'm just an emotional fan and enjoying this board learning every day

You certainly have a passion about hockey that far exceeds mine. My hockey coaches as a peewee/ bantam were telling my parents and the neighborhood that I would be playing for the Bruins one day. The truth was that I was an excellent skater right out of the chute and eventually was an excellent passer and had a very good shot,but I wasn't very good at hockey. Fancied myself the next Pie McKenzie. But my real talent was baseball,could hit anything and had opposing coaches tell me that there wasn't anything they didn't think I could catch. I was Petey before Petey. But........Drugs and alcohol put me in a detention center for 18 months when I was 16 1/2. I had a passion to play both sports,but not your level of passion!!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You certainly have a passion about hockey that far exceeds mine. My hockey coaches as a peewee/ bantam were telling my parents and the neighborhood that I would be playing for the Bruins one day. The truth was that I was an excellent skater right out of the chute and eventually was an excellent passer and had a very good shot,but I wasn't very good at hockey. Fancied myself the next Pie McKenzie. But my real talent was baseball,could hit anything and had opposing coaches tell me that there wasn't anything they didn't think I could catch. I was Petey before Petey. But........Drugs and alcohol put me in a detention center for 18 months when I was 16 1/2. I had a passion to play both sports,but not your level of passion!!

Wow, you must have been something to see!

My son's peewee coach got all the parents together after the first practice and told us all none of our kids had the NHL in their future.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wow, you must have been something to see!

My son's peewee coach got all the parents together after the first practice and told us all none of our kids had the NHL in their future.

My coaches had limited perspective. My nephews still bring it up,"we thought you were going to play for the Bruins" blah-blah-blah. In High School,I played with O'Dwyer for a year and I could outskate him,but I couldn't outhockey him,not even close. I remember seeing Donato when he was 6 or 7 playing in a Parkway game in Hyde Park and thinking "OMG,this is the next Bobby Orr!" So much for limited perspectives!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I hope you put that in the rear view mirror

My family was so tight with McKenIes we used to spend Christmas Eve at their house and they ate over on Thanksgiving- does that explain why I am so passionate lol. Loved those McKenzie gals

Truth be told when I was getting out of school I had opportunities to maybe get into hockey thru my folks connections and hockey personnel that knew me growing up. I didn't take up the opportunity because they weren't with Boston I was 21, 22 and didn't want to move away from my dog as well as GF and family

I got some great stories on all this and i was fortunate because of my family

When I say I grew up with the Bruins I mean grew up with the Bruins

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

My family was so tight with McKenIes we used to spend Christmas Eve at their house and they ate over on Thanksgiving- does that explain why I am so passionate lol. Loved those McKenzie gals

Truth be told when I was getting out of school I had opportunities to maybe get into hockey thru my folks connections and hockey personnel that knew me growing up. I didn't take up the opportunity because they weren't with Boston I was 21, 22 and didn't want to move away from my dog as well as GF and family

My parents were also STHs since 1966 (How lucky) and we gave them up in 2006,but can't remember ever meeting anyone when I was younger. I eventually met Orr, Park,O'Reilly,Jonathan,Kluzak,Hodge and a few others. I've read your stories and it would have been a dream come true. I truly don't have your level of hockey passion for anything,well maybe carnal knowledge!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Looks like they had a nightmare with the Brian Holloway situation. I remember Pie and Holloway on the back of the Herald on Christmas Day 20 years ago as an unusual family thing,little did he know.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Text from Dan one night at 10:53 pm on a Thursday night...."Conforto worth a pick up? Stinks that Syndergaard has a bicep issue...is Matz soft tossing yet?....also I'm going over the Cardinals starting pitching, are you familiar with any of those kids?"

Hahah Dan is the ****.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Text from Dan one night at 10:53 pm on a Thursday night...."Conforto worth a pick up? Stinks that Syndergaard has a bicep issue...is Matz soft tossing yet?....also I'm going over the Cardinals starting pitching, are you familiar with any of those kids?"

Hahah Dan is the ****.

Holy OCD,batman!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Holy OCD,batman!

1. Well I broke my leg 6 weeks ago and couldn't go to gym, walk dog, go to Bruins games so it put me infront of tv watching sports m

2. My APBA draft has both Matz & Conforto in it and I know Lou is hardcore Mets fan and knew what was going on :laugh:

Kind of a perfect storm

Also I really watch minimal basketball or soccer or college sports other then occasional big game or Celtics

Pretty much Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots and since I have Bruins tickets and belong here it's easy to follow

Last night I went to Italian American Club with buds and ascewed NFL draft so I'm only moderately pathetic

Good news is Wednesday I can go back to lifting cardio yoga doing stuff away from TV;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad