Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
DKH, post: 136441727, member: 427"]Interesting to watch Jake DeBrusk and Max Domi play and think of their dads style

Just like the game itself.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's 6'0 but he plays a lot bigger, and I assume that will only improve with age... He's incredible along the boards.

A bigger guy who's physical and great along the boards and can finish... Krejci has been dancing with joy since game 1. Its been forever since he's had a really good winger who fits his style and DeBrusk fits the bill 100%. Its early in his career and he might just be riding high, but it's not like he's just using his skill and scoring, he's going to the dirty areas and fighting along the boards. You're pretty hard pressed to find a rookie who can do that.

I'm still pitching a pants tent from his fake-shot assist to Bjork last night...

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
It's been a nice surprise to see him look at home in the NHL this early - maybe he's the kind of player who rises to a certain level when it is a necessity, and only then. I don't mean that he didn't look like a player in the AHL (from my limited viewings), but some guys just need to be put in a real situation to be the best that they can be.

Give that frame another year or two to truly fill out and he'll be able to grind the front of the net with authority.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I just got back from playing my own game this morning and of course as we're getting dressed pre-game we talk about the Saturday games - and (although I chimed in - wasn't me to start it) these guys started talking about how much they like this kid, about his dad having a teary moment and how good they think he's going to be. These are grown men that are mostly Canuck fans that have been playing hockey their whole lives and understand the game. The three guys that were talking about him saw him in juniors also and came away with the same impression I did - that he simply 'gets' the game.
Really happy the Bruins have him.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Full credit to Debrusk, he figured it out last year in Providence. I started this post and he was invisible back then but he has done the work needed to be where he is now. I love his enthusiasm as well. He is always smiling and it seems like he loves what he is doing.

I am thinking the same can be said of Zboril and Senyshyn by the end of the year. I think they will be somewhat lost for half a year and then hopefully figure it out just like Jake did. Fun to watch these kids develop.

Would be great to see Cehlarik, JFK, Senyshyn, Lauzon, Zboril make the team Next year. And then we could see Frederic, Donato, Lindgren go through the same process.

I am sure this will be the last year we see Vatrano, Beleskey, Spooner with the big team. I am sensing Donny is already working the phones in regards to these 3 guys.

Good for Heinen too, He seems to be making a difference.

Reactions: Wack Edwards

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I hadn't ever watched this guy play until the preseason this year. I'm glad to see him make an impact so far. Hopefully he can keep it up! Krejci needs a buddy who can help him elevate that's line's play, and even if Debrusk isn't Horton or Lucic, anybody who can play the pace Krejci plays at is not a bad thing

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's amazing how opinions on players can change after seeing them play instead of just reading stat sheets.

I never understood how some people would come away unimpressed by reading his stat sheets. I purely just stat-watched on Debrusk and came away impressed.

In his year in the AHL, he was 2nd in team scoring and 8th in AHL LEAGUE shots on goal with 213 shots (2.92 shots per game!) . For a prospect who was drafted for his ability to generate shots, creating almost 3 shots per game and 49 points is MORE than you should be expecting from a 20-year old rookie.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Barzal, Connor and Konecny would have set this team up for the next decade, it's that simple. Still could have grabbed Carlo and Lauzon. Krejci in a couple years moved to free up space and grab a dman. Polar opposite of the so called experts on here, I will be shocked if either Debrusk or Senyshyn have any impact in the NHL. Bump the thread in the future if I'm wrong, guaranteed I won't be. But long live Sweeney. Great Hamilton trade, great Rinaldo signing and great reaches with 3 consecutive firsts. The Hamilton trade could have been forgiven with the no brainer picks. Can't wait to see the Bruins poster experts wrong again and another knight excuse. Fact is Barzal is a dominant player. Konecny was 1st overall in the ohl draft for a reason and Connor was dominant in his league. You watch Debrusk play, you rarely notice him. Senyshyn has potential but stud players play on top lines regardless of team depth. Kid lacks hockey sense. Benoit Pouliot.

Hope this keyboard prophet is still a former bruins fan.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
It's pretty hilarious reading through the early pages of this thread and seeing Debrusk getting trashed for looking bad in a scrimmage and how we should have taken Barzal, Konecny, and Connor. Not seeing many of those posters now that hes got twice as much points as those 3 guys combined.:laugh:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
It's pretty hilarious reading through the early pages of this thread and seeing Debrusk getting trashed for looking bad in a scrimmage and how we should have taken Barzal, Konecny, and Connor. Not seeing many of those posters now that hes got twice as much points as those 3 guys combined.:laugh:

I would still take Barzal over DeBrusk in a heartbeat but my argument against the picks was against Senyshyn.... if you feel that you have so many 1st round picks that you can make a swing-for-the-fences gamble on a high-end talent, then why not go for the one that fell into your lap rather than reaching deep into the 2nd?

I'd take Barzal over DeBrusk BUT would take DeBrusk over Senyshyn so we would have ended up with both (and they would have complimented each other very well too).

Wanting Barzal had/has more to do with Barzal having a higher offensive ceiling than DeBrusk who has a safer floor. DeBrusk has impressed me at times and his skating has really improved. Neither of his parents are thin people, so there should be a chance to pack 15pds on over the next few years which is really needed in his style of game.

On a side note: DeBrusk is 7 months older than Barzal --not insignificant when comparing guys from the same draft "year". It also allowed DeBrusk an extra year (in preparing for this year) to go play pro while Barzal was too young for the AHL and had to spin his tires for another year in the WHL just toying with the competition when he would have been way better off playing against men.

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
I would like to see an all-rookie line with a top 4 D pairing. Pairing them with top line players makes everyone worse. Put Belesky with Krejci and Pasta. Put Vatrano with Bergy and Mach. the third line of Debrusk, Bjork, (fill in the blank) so they are playing with equal talent and experience. 4th line of grinders and checkers with guys like Sopponer for special teams.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would still take Barzal over DeBrusk in a heartbeat but my argument against the picks was against Senyshyn.... if you feel that you have so many 1st round picks that you can make a swing-for-the-fences gamble on a high-end talent, then why not go for the one that fell into your lap rather than reaching deep into the 2nd?

I'd take Barzal over DeBrusk BUT would take DeBrusk over Senyshyn so we would have ended up with both (and they would have complimented each other very well too).

Wanting Barzal had/has more to do with Barzal having a higher offensive ceiling than DeBrusk who has a safer floor. DeBrusk has impressed me at times and his skating has really improved. Neither of his parents are thin people, so there should be a chance to pack 15pds on over the next few years which is really needed in his style of game.

On a side note: DeBrusk is 7 months older than Barzal --not insignificant when comparing guys from the same draft "year". It also allowed DeBrusk an extra year (in preparing for this year) to go play pro while Barzal was too young for the AHL and had to spin his tires for another year in the WHL just toying with the competition when he would have been way better off playing against men.

Senyshyn has the size/speed combo that Barzal will never have. Perhaps the B’s (with their multiple picks) viewed DeBrusk as a “safe” pick, and Senyshyn was their “swing for the fences” pick, with higher offensive upside than Barzal??

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The amount of people who called all 3 of those picks busts literally a week after the draft was hilarious, especially now....

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Senyshyn has the size/speed combo that Barzal will never have. Perhaps the B’s (with their multiple picks) viewed DeBrusk as a “safe” pick, and Senyshyn was their “swing for the fences” pick, with higher offensive upside than Barzal??

I've said this since day 1 and completely agree. Zboril was a need and appropriately ranked, liked that pick a lot when it happened. Debrusk seemed like a very high floor guy who could step into the lineup pretty soon..didn't love the pick but you have to think his character/grit/high loor/ability to at LEAST provide secondary scoring was attractive to them. Senyshyn was a swing for the fences pick IMO. Has the skillset to be a legitimate top 6 goal scorer or completely bust.

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I don't think we know if the 3 picks will be busts are not yet at all.

I think Sweeney missed a monumental chance to trade down if he wanted some of these names. But where all these players shake out now is a discussion for 3-4 years from now most likely.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

You're argument is just as poor to be honest. Small sample sizes all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad