Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Watched a little of the game last night between Canada and the Czechs.. Debrusk was no where to be found... Saw him also live on the last day of the Bruins prospect camp, was no where to be found on the ice as well... Anyone concerned we blew this one?? I see some Hamill in this pick as well....

Last edited by a moderator:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Watched a little of the game last night between Canada and the Czechs.. Debrusk was no where to be found... Saw him also live on the last day of the Bruins prospect camp, was no where to be found on the ice as well... Anyone concerned we blew this one?? I see some Hamill in this pick as well....

2 months post draft and a bust already? That was quick!

Reactions: wintersej

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Relax man. New teammates. Summer. Partying. Just got drafted. Give the kid a break.

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX

thats because he didn't play. Canada changed the lineup from the previous game. Debrusk along with many others did not play last night against the Czechs.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
thats because he didn't play. Canada changed the lineup from the previous game. Debrusk along with many others did not play last night against the Czechs.

Debrusk did play.. wore number 29.. you didn't notice him cause he was no where to be found..

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

He certainly played and he was --at best-- invisible... and that is from a Bruins fan who was looking for him, rewinding his shifts etc. He got moved off the top line after a few shifts and then was with Barzal who , when skating up the ice together, looks to be about 2x as fast. I was actually going to do a write-up on it.

Far too soon to call him a bust, but he is going to take a long time to turn out methinks and the *upside* of Ryder seems accurate and unexciting.

Reactions: bearcountry17

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
He certainly played and he was --at best-- invisible... and that is from a Bruins fan who was looking for him, rewinding his shifts etc. He got moved off the top line after a few shifts and then was with Barzal who , when skating up the ice together, looks to be about 2x as fast. I was actually going to do a write-up on it.

Far too soon to call him a bust, but he is going to take a long time to turn out methinks and the *upside* of Ryder seems accurate and unexciting.

I noticed that too and Zboril did not have a good game either... was looking forward to watch Vladar... But he didn't play....

daleand

Aug 2, 2005
Trail,BC
I posted this on the prospect blog. Last night I watched the World Junior Summer Showcase on TSN. Jake DeBrusk played for Team Canada and I thought he was barely noticeable throughout the game. He looked tentative and nervous and always seemed to arrive where he wanted to be, just a fraction too late, almost like Loui Eriksson did in the first half of last season. I was surprised how tall DeBrusk is and if he fills out his frame will be a good size to contend with. The skating was adequate compared to the other players but he just wasn't making anything happen or be involved. One of the commentators mentioned how nervous some of the players get the first time they don the Maple Leaf. I've been involved in evaluating and coaching elite teams in the past and always told the players, don't blend in, if you have a specific skill make sure you show it. I hope he gets another chance to show what he can do these next 2 games. Incidentally he played alot with Matt Barzal who didn't show any better. On the other hand, Jakub Zboril, oozes future pro hockey player. Starting with the size, a solid frame, power play quarterback,good skater, physical and solid in his end ( although he looked weak giving up the puck to Konecny on Team Canada's seventh goal). I can see a Darnell Nurse type of player with Zboril, I think he is going to be a good one and could even challenge for a spot on the B's in 2016. They should let him mature in junior and play in the WJC this season and see where he fits in next year.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I posted this on the prospect blog. Last night I watched the World Junior Summer Showcase on TSN. Jake DeBrusk played for Team Canada and I thought he was barely noticeable throughout the game. He looked tentative and nervous and always seemed to arrive where he wanted to be, just a fraction too late, almost like Loui Eriksson did in the first half of last season. I was surprised how tall DeBrusk is and if he fills out his frame will be a good size to contend with. The skating was adequate compared to the other players but he just wasn't making anything happen or be involved. One of the commentators mentioned how nervous some of the players get the first time they don the Maple Leaf. I've been involved in evaluating and coaching elite teams in the past and always told the players, don't blend in, if you have a specific skill make sure you show it. I hope he gets another chance to show what he can do these next 2 games. Incidentally he played alot with Matt Barzal who didn't show any better. On the other hand, Jakub Zboril, oozes future pro hockey player. Starting with the size, a solid frame, power play quarterback,good skater, physical and solid in his end ( although he looked weak giving up the puck to Konecny on Team Canada's seventh goal). I can see a Darnell Nurse type of player with Zboril, I think he is going to be a good one and could even challenge for a spot on the B's in 2016. They should let him mature in junior and play in the WJC this season and see where he fits in next year.

I think Zboril is a good pick but I didn't think he had a good game... buy when your losing as much as they were I am sure there is a little let up..

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

But didn't he score a sick behind the back shootout goal? :sarcasm:

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
He wasn't even invited? I'm not one to jump the gun so I'll reserve judgement as these kids were JUST drafted...but can someone in the know tell me if they've changed their opinion on the Bruins passing over some talented kids with their 3 picks?

The draft was shot gun theory. If you shoot you're bound to hit something. Was one of the best and deepest drafts in a while and the Bruins went off the board to "outsmart" everyone. The only people they outsmarted was themselves. Of course these players deserve time to develop but it's going to be like 2002 when the Bruins got Staurt (serviceable player) and missed out on Parise Getzlaf and Richards.

Sure they filled the cupboards with prospects and that's nice but I will still ***** and complain that they botched these picks while I hope to hell they somehow become serviceable players.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He wasn't even invited? I'm not one to jump the gun so I'll reserve judgement as these kids were JUST drafted...but can someone in the know tell me if they've changed their opinion on the Bruins passing over some talented kids with their 3 picks?

Seguin wasn't invited to the WJC his draft year... And he was more or less a lock for the top-2.

Bergeron sucks some games, doesn't mean he sucks. He practically disappeared for the 2nd half of the Montreal series. Just because in the one game you've seen of him he wasn't all over the ice doesn't mean he sucks. Give the kid time.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Even for HF boards this is unbelievable.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Is Jake better than the three prospects on the board at the time? It's looking like no, but overall, I think it's a good pick. The Bruins just don't like franchise stars, for whatever reason. If it's payroll fear, or diva fear, I don't know. I do know I'm tired of never seeing our players leading scoring charts or having a superstar we can count on. I want to be excited when I go to a game.

And this is all going to come back to bite them, especially in the shoot out or the three on three. You need elite talent.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The Bruins just don't like franchise stars, for whatever reason.
I don't buy that.

I think the Bruins are happy to commit big money to the right kinds of players. And in their minds, the right kinds of players show up on both ends of the ice, and they can be relied on to produce in the playoffs.

And THAT, more than anything else, is why I think guys like Thornton, Kessel, and Seguin aren't here.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lot of the players were drafted last year and here for the first time. Canada likes more of a 19 year old team anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->