Value of: Jacob Trouba's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If he takes a 1 year deal. He could just do it again right? Even if you take the 2 the other team could sign him to an extension......

Winnipeg had to choose either a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal. Cant do both. They likely chose a 1 year deal. And yes there is a chance they go to arbitration next year if he gets the one year deal

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
in my opinion the only one being hurt by all this is Mr. Trouba.

how will other gm's view him with his actions the last 2 years?

sat out for 15 games and now he is taking a team that went to the WCF to arbitration.

he is proving he is not a team player.

Winnipeg will miss him, but we were allright when he was injured.

with that in mind, perhaps chevy takes a 2 year arbitration and trade him to Ottawa, for unprotected 1st round picks.

see how he likes it there

Nov 24, 2006

sat out for 15 games and now he is taking a team that went to the WCF to arbitration.

with that in mind, perhaps chevy takes a 2 year arbitration and trade him to Ottawa, for unprotected 1st round picks.

Winnipeg needs a top 4 defenceman back if Trouba is traded. They cant wait for what future first round picks can bring at this point.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

There was a time where I was terrified of losing him.

Now, I say either sign a contract or GTFO.

The last thing I want us to do is bend a knee to his contract demands.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Winnipeg needs a top 4 defenceman back if Trouba is traded. They cant wait for what future first round picks can bring at this point.

as I said we did pretty well when he was out of the lineup.

a good defenceman back would be ideal.

even though I do not believe whast I posted about Ottawa will happen...….

but on occasion when people are being a dick, sometimes what goes around comes around can be a very good thing in future negotiations

Reactions: Georgetown Al

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets could use Trouba for 2 runs at the Cup. I don't know. I am only a recent graduate of the Long Island school of management.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Winnipeg had to choose between either a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal. Cant do both. They likely chose a 1 year deal. And yes there is a chance they go to arbitration next year if he gets the one year deal

I agree but what I guess I am saying is why take the 1 year deal if they get a good price?

If he wants out he wants out. He will just go to arb again

If you can get him for 2 x 5 that’s better than 1x 5 and 1x 7 for example. More teams could fit him in and then work on an extension rather than straight RFA contract.

If I am trading for him I would rather have 1 x 5 and then an extension rather than dealing with an RFA

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I agree but what I guess I am saying is why take the 1 year deal if they get a good price?

If he wants out he wants out. He will just go to arb again

If you can get him for 2 x 5 that’s better than 1x 5 and 1x 7 for example. More teams could fit him in and then work on an extension rather than straight RFA contract.

If I am trading for him I would rather have 1 x 5 and then an extension rather than dealing with an RFA

and after all that has gone on between Trouba and the jets, exactly why would we do him any favors making it easier for him to leave?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
None of this explains why we shouldn't just trade him if everything you are saying is true.

You're saying that he's this big risk and that he needs to prove himself.....then why would we not just trade him? Take the 1 year option and trade him to someone and say hey he's still under control after this contract.

That's a hell of a lot better than either letting him walk for free or trading him at a much lower value because teams will know he can walk.

Because you get a 2-year window at a decent price, with the potential to extend if he can string together some healthy seasons but without the big commitment to an injury risk. That's the whole point.

I don't understand the obsession with avoiding letting players walk in UFA at all costs. There are worse things. The Kings wanted to avoid losing the band-aid Gaborik at all costs - how'd that work out?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stated this multi times, Chevy will do one of the following:

- Trouba will be sign for 4+ years with the Jets.

- Chevy will sign a one year deal if a long term deal is not possible. If this happens Trouba becomes available via trade and will be gone by next summer at the latest.

Chevy will not give Trouba the luxury of a two year deal straight to ufa hurting his trade value significantly.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

- Chevy will sign a one year deal if a long term deal is not possible. If this happens Trouba becomes available via trade and will be gone by next summer at the latest.

Chevy will not give Trouba the luxury of a two year deal straight to ufa hurting his trade value significantly.

But why does that hurt his value? 2 years
Of value is fine. If he takes 1 year then they just go to arb again. You either trade him as RFA, or with a 1 year higher hit.

Unless they trade him now.... but then the other team is trading for the same situation....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
and after all that has gone on between Trouba and the jets, exactly why would we do him any favors making it easier for him to leave?
same reason NSH gave Jones for Johansen given all that has happened between RyJo vs CBJ, GMs will make a move to make their team better.

Reactions: wintersej

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
More value in a trade?

or how about one year and look to trade him.

or one year and he gets hurt and we no longer have to pay him.

Trouba has no influence in what will happen, other than making other gm's question if he is the type of player they want on their team

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Top 4 doesn’t cut it We’d need a legitimate top pair right handed D-man.
That's not true. You may ideally want that and the Jets as well, but fair value could be had in several different ways.

It's about ( hopefully ) making your team better overall and in this case managing a player that hasn't decided to make it a priority to be with your team long term.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Because you get a 2-year window at a decent price, with the potential to extend if he can string together some healthy seasons but without the big commitment to an injury risk. That's the whole point.

I don't understand the obsession with avoiding letting players walk in UFA at all costs. There are worse things. The Kings wanted to avoid losing the band-aid Gaborik at all costs - how'd that work out?

If he's not going to sign with us at this point then there's nothing that 2 years will change.

The concept of using Trouba as either an internal asset, or as an asset to bring value back being better than losing him for absolutely nothing should be blatantly simple to see.

The Gaborik situation is completely different. He was right into UFA and much older. Apples and oranges.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
This is all on Trouba thinking he is better than what he really is…
I blame Overhart. He thinks he's a riverboat gambler that can always scam more $s out of his clients team.
His record consists of getting the extra $s but his client loses because it usually results in him being shuffled off to a bottom feeder.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Not gonna lie, living here in Winnipeg I can't believe the Jets mgmt let it get to this with one of their best young players .

If Trouba does not want to sign for a fair long term contract on a top 5 team in the league there is very little Jets management can do about it. Unless Trouba signs a long term contract in the next 48 hours a 1 or 2 year arb deal will be signed. Then it will be up to the Jets to decided if they want Trouba for one more season as the Jets window to win it all is probably next season while Laine is still on his ECL deal and Wheeler being vastly underpaid under his current contract. Unless a trade can be done this summer with a comparable Trouba type D coming back it is hard to see the Jets win any trade now because while the Jets might get some great prospects for Trouba the best player in the Trade will be going the other way.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
That would be TERRIBLE asset management. Sign him for 1 year and he if still wants out, trade him for assets. Sign him for 2 years and then you're not only negotiating along side every other team in the league, you get nothing if he walks.

If Trouba does not sign longer term during this 48 hour window sign him for two years and either trade him this summer or next. Why sign a one year deal just to go through all this again next summer. Jets can no longer get fair value back for Trouba so trade him for the best deal you can get or play him one more year then trade a player that has one year left so teams know what his cost is.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If Trouba does not sign longer term during this 48 hour window sign him for two years and either trade him this summer or next. Why sign a one year deal just to go through all this again next summer. Jets can no longer get fair value back for Trouba so trade him for the best deal you can get or play him one more year then trade a player that has one year left so teams know what his cost is.

The Jets have already chosen to go for one year in arbitration.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

His trade value for the Jets is already diminished if he does not sign long term. 1 or 2 year contract will not change this fact.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He would do his 2 years and hit ufa as a 26 year old rhd who can play 23 plus minutes a game.

Per cba a team controls his rights for 7 years then he’s ufa. If he opts to just do his 7 years and hit ufa that is his right. No different than Panarin who came in older his only needs to do 4 years because he turns 27 and his ufa due to 4 years of service and his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino