Value of: Jacob Trouba's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
That's not true. You may ideally want that and the Jets as well, but fair value could be had in several different ways.
I don’t care about "fair value" unless it makes the team better. Casting both Buff and Myers in roles they can no longer fill makes the Jets worse now and much worse 2 years from now.
It's about ( hopefully ) making your team better overall and in this case managing a player that hasn't decided to make it a priority to be with your team long term.
Again I don’t care about "managing a player" unless it makes the team better. If Trouba is no longer with the team the Jets need another top pair RHD, full stop. "Fair value" does not fill that hole, and may ultimately cost more in assets and cap space than simply paying a little extra for Trouba.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
His trade value for the Jets is already diminished if he does not sign long term. 1 or 2 year contract will not change this fact.
Yeah, we heard how Kane's value was diminished too.
I know you want it to be true so your team can pick Trouba up at a bargain basement price if he is traded.
Just realize it is only your fantasy. Chevy will get top value for him if he has to move him.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I don’t care about "fair value" unless it makes the team better. Casting both Buff and Myers in roles they can no longer fill makes the Jets worse now and much worse 2 years from now.

Again I don’t care about "managing a player" unless it makes the team better. If Trouba is no longer with the team the Jets need another top pair RHD, full stop. "Fair value" does not fill that hole, and may ultimately cost more in assets and cap space than simply paying a little extra for Trouba.
I care about fair value AND making the team better, plus you have the situation of having to eventually deal with Trouba, like it or not.

Teams have won the Cup with less talented defencemen than the Jets currently have. Fact.

You don't know what dollar amount it would take to make Trouba commit long term, it may not be '' a little extra". If it isn't and he wants an unrealistic number that impacts you negatively immediately and for the future.

Adding talent at another position both strengthens you and allows you options, that is managing your roster. Nothing to preclude you from moving an asset from an area of strength for one that isn't as strong.

You may not do it but that of course does not at all make it the correct way to approach the Trouba situation. So in essence you are saying if no team offers a top pairing RHD for Trouba before he becomes a UFA and walks for nothing you let that happen. Sure, full stop on that.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
If Trouba does not sign longer term during this 48 hour window sign him for two years and either trade him this summer or next. Why sign a one year deal just to go through all this again next summer. Jets can no longer get fair value back for Trouba so trade him for the best deal you can get or play him one more year then trade a player that has one year left so teams know what his cost is.

You sign him to a 1 year contract because a player who's an RFA and free to negotiate with their new team is a thousand times more valuable than a player who is free to walk away when their short contract is done.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'd be interested in a Montour Trouba swap. Any interest from the WPG side?
I'd be interested in a Montour Trouba swap. Any interest from the WPG side?

No Trouba is a better point scorer who plays more D-zone minutes, significantly less PP minutes, significantly more PK minutes and is the same age with 4 years more of experience. Montour is really good and all but there’s gonna have to be a plus to that trade on Anaheim’s side.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You sign him to a 1 year contract because a player who's an RFA and free to negotiate with their new team is a thousand times more valuable than a player who is free to walk away when their short contract is done.
Jets already opted for 1 year for the reasons you indicated.

1 year dea lets the new team work out a new deal for him starting Jan 1. Otherwise they have to wait until July 1. Opens the doors to the smaller markets like Carolina who were hesitant to get in on duchene cause he could walk once his deal was up. If your team isn’t a consistent winner, you don’t want to chance that they don’t want to sit and wait a couple more years for your team to get to that level.

Realistically they can bring all 3 of their rhd D back for this season. But Myers is due to be ufa in 2019 and if trouba is only on his arbitration award likely he’ll just do arbitration and take off as a ufa in 2020. So the jets would have to ink Myers long term anyways.

Mar 26, 2010
Man, Trouba is looking to stick it to Winnipeg! Does he even want to be there at this point. Usually when a player makes an outrageous demand of this nature, they want out.

Reactions: Devonator

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Teams have won the Cup with less talented defencemen than the Jets currently have. Fact.
1 team. With Malkin and Crosby on it. That was getting ultra-hot goaltending. And, they still had to have a crap ton of good luck.
You don't know what dollar amount it would take to make Trouba commit long term, it may not be '' a little extra". If it isn't and he wants an unrealistic number that impacts you negatively immediately and for the future.
The Jets have enough cap space to spend 13-14 million to get Trouba and Morrissey signed long term. Based on the rumored ask from Trouba’s side I think they can do that. My expectation is that they could get them for 6+ years at $7.5 million and 5.5 million respectively.
Adding talent at another position both strengthens you and allows you options, that is managing your roster. Nothing to preclude you from moving an asset from an area of strength for one that isn't as strong.
The Jets don’t need anything else. They may want a #2C that shows better chemistry with Laine and Ehlers than Little does, but they don’t need it. What they need is a top D pairing that lets Buff and Myers to slot into the lineup where they were last year, and that means they need someone to play in the exact spot Trouba fills.
So in essence you are saying if no team offers a top pairing RHD for Trouba before he becomes a UFA and walks for nothing you let that happen.
Yes. This should be obvious.
People get way too fixated on the whole "losing assets because a player left for nothing" thing. You do not loose assets like this because UFA years are not assets and never have been. A fairly priced UFA year is exactly as much of an asset as the money to sign them to that contract would be. Sometimes you get lucky and get a player on a good deal for UFA years and while that is an asset, you can’t expect players to undervalue themselves just so the team can have extra assets.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
So we continue to wait. :popcorn:

Odds are both sides have a pretty good read on what the arbitrator will decide so there is another window to negotiate. If it looks like it'll be closer to the Jets starting point & come in @ 5ish it's a perfect opportunity to offer the longer term @ 6ish. If it looks like 6.5 x 1 that means going longer to buy out UFA years becomes too much as it would @ least nudge PK Subban $s.
If the 2nd case Chevy could take it for the 1 year & play him. Re-open negotiations asap & if he doesn't re-up by the TDL let it be known he's available as soon as the season ends. That's unless a good offer comes along with a replacement/semi-replacement+ before training camp.

If things got messy in there (& with Overhart that's likely) start exploring trades as soon as the ink is dry on that 1 year. 1 year @ a fixed cost with another of RFA will bring the serious bidders out of the woodwork. Put the ball in Trouba's court by telling him without a reasonable extention he's likely to lose his best chance @ a championship as it'll be the bottom feeders that have the assets from recent drafts & the cap space to afford him. It'd come down to if his relationship with his agent is placed above winning.
Even if the Jets keep him for a playoff run & win imagine the look on his face when the day after he's told he won't be in the parade as he's been traded to 1 of the bottom 6 finishers.

I hope this works out for the best but put my worst case scenarios in the above part concerning Overhart. That guy gives me the creeps. :ha::eek:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
No Trouba is a better point scorer who plays more D-zone minutes, significantly less PP minutes, significantly more PK minutes and is the same age with 4 years more of experience. Montour is really good and all but there’s gonna have to be a plus to that trade on Anaheim’s side.
Sorry, should have been a bit more clear, id assume there would be balancing in the deal. Just those 2 players as a basis .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So we continue to wait. :popcorn:

Odds are both sides have a pretty good read on what the arbitrator will decide so there is another window to negotiate. If it looks like it'll be closer to the Jets starting point & come in @ 5ish it's a perfect opportunity to offer the longer term @ 6ish. If it looks like 6.5 x 1 that means going longer to buy out UFA years becomes too much as it would @ least nudge PK Subban $s.
If the 2nd case Chevy could take it for the 1 year & play him. Re-open negotiations asap & if he doesn't re-up by the TDL let it be known he's available as soon as the season ends. That's unless a good offer comes along with a replacement/semi-replacement+ before training camp.

If things got messy in there (& with Overhart that's likely) start exploring trades as soon as the ink is dry on that 1 year. 1 year @ a fixed cost with another of RFA will bring the serious bidders out of the woodwork. Put the ball in Trouba's court by telling him without a reasonable extention he's likely to lose his best chance @ a championship as it'll be the bottom feeders that have the assets from recent drafts & the cap space to afford him. It'd come down to if his relationship with his agent is placed above winning.
Even if the Jets keep him for a playoff run & win imagine the look on his face when the day after he's told he won't be in the parade as he's been traded to 1 of the bottom 6 finishers.

I hope this works out for the best but put my worst case scenarios in the above part concerning Overhart. That guy gives me the creeps. :ha::eek:
I doubt that scares trouba. At this point he knows that the jets are in a win now mode. So they need to make a hockey deal. At worst, nothing changes as any team wanting him will by now have a rough gage of what it will take to lock him up for 6-8 years.

Even bottom feeders won’t give up good assets if they are not confident he will sign with them.

If trouba wants to either hit a jackpot with Winnipeg now or just hit ufa at 26 in 2020 it’s his call. Risk to waiting. Ekblad suffered 3 concussions before the end of his elc. He’s certainly happy he signed for 8 years after his 2nd season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does Winnipeg have good RD depth? I am kind of surprised that Chevy keeps lowballing Trouba given his importance for them, Buffs age and so forth...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Does Winnipeg have good RD depth? I am kind of surprised that Chevy keeps lowballing Trouba given his importance for them, Buffs age and so forth...
you don't think Chevy would love to give Trouba a fair long-term deal? The contracts he's given out over the years have been quite fair to the player, I don't think he would deviate from that for his 1RHD. Trouba's stats and importance to the team are well recognized. Seems to me his agent is playing games, whether it is to make Chevy sweat or get Trouba out of WPG remains to be seen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
you don't think Chevy would love to give Trouba a fair long-term deal? The contracts he's given out over the years have been quite fair to the player, I don't think he would deviate from that for his 1RHD. Trouba's stats and importance to the team are well recognized. Seems to me his agent is playing games, whether it is to make Chevy sweat or get Trouba out of WPG remains to be seen.

The top Ds in this league are coming in at 10-11m nowadays. No top Ds ever reach it to July 1.

Sure there is a risk, but it’s a good bet that Trouba gets 8m per as a UFA in 20/21. The cap is going up a lot these days, a lot of teams have cap space. Few players out there, you got to overpay for someone. If he has a good year, he gets even more than that.

Let’s say Trouba gets 5.75m on average the coming two years, and then 8.5m as a UFA in 20-21 the coming 6 years, that is 11.5m + 51m = 62.5m total or 7.81m per the coming 8 years on average.

Is Chevy offering Trouba 7.5m per on 8 years? 7m per? If Trouba’s ask is 8m, he is signing for less than that.

In addition, Chevy really strong armed Trouba into an underpaid contract covering the last two seasons. Trouba is surely feeling that he already has left a lot of money on the table due to playing for Winnipeg. If Trouba is signing for 7.5m per and 8 years he is probably leaving even more money on the table.

To answer your question, I am betting that Chevy is offering Trouba around 6.5-7m per, that is low ball to me considering the above.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can the Jets and Trouba still sign a contract before the ruling comes out?
Yes. The next 40 odd hours will determine whether trouba is a jet past June 30, w2020

If he’s playing in his arbitration award he’ll just do t again next year and hit ufa at 26. Only 1 year left so why not?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, we heard how Kane's value was diminished too.
I know you want it to be true so your team can pick Trouba up at a bargain basement price if he is traded.
Just realize it is only your fantasy. Chevy will get top value for him if he has to move him.

How many times have you posted a more or less copy of this post?

Trouba could settle with Winnipeg tonight for all we know, but he also might not.

Please stop trying to shut down all Trouba talk. In the past five years, 124 players have applied for arbitration and just five rulings have been made. If a ruling is made on Trouba you can’t keep acting like everything is fine and dandy. We all knows the options at hand.

If Trouba is traded — if — any team getting him (i) must be sure to resign him to not only get a rental, (ii) must be prepare to pay him very close to UFA money to keep him. Right?

Under these conditions nobody is giving up a mega package for Trouba, just like nobody is doing it for Karlsson.

*Then you can argue that Trouba loves Winnipeg and will resign there. Sure he could, we are talking if not.

*Then you can argue that Chevy will keep him and let him walk as a UFA rather than not trading him for anything less than a mega return. Sure he could, we are talking about the scenario if he doesn’t want to lose him for nothing.

You don’t have to like it, but all these threads are turned into such a mess by so many posters seemingly wanting to protect their asset or whatever. Like, what we are talking about is ridiculous, it has zero impact. It’s banter. ;)

For any outsider, Trouba not resigning with Winnipeg and Chevy not wanting to lose him for nothing aren’t absurd scenarios. From my POV, 9/10 situations like this are solved. But we are still discussing all of them, it’s not just Trouba. If I had to bet, I would bet on JT being a Jet in 2021. But he may also not be...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes. The next 40 odd hours will determine whether trouba is a jet past June 30, w2020

If he’s playing in his arbitration award he’ll just do t again next year and hit ufa at 26. Only 1 year left so why not?

Technically he could just accept his qualifying offer as well(assuming he is happy with his arbitration award)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Trouba is traded — if — any team getting him (i) must be sure to resign him to not only get a rental, (ii) must be prepare to pay him very close to UFA money to keep him. Right?

Under these conditions nobody is giving up a mega package for Trouba, just like nobody is doing it for Karlsson.

I would speculate it might actually be easier to get Trouba to sign then Karlsson. Karlsson has already had his big money payday and is only 1 year away from deciding for himself what he wants to do with his career, Trouba still has to get his "retirement" contract and is 2 years away from UFA status

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Man, Trouba is looking to stick it to Winnipeg! Does he even want to be there at this point. Usually when a player makes an outrageous demand of this nature, they want out.
Well he has made it clear before that he wanted out....I have to figure he still feels the same way....though it is odd....you would think playing for a very strong Jets team that that would be enough to lure him to stay with the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille