Value of: Jacob Trouba's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Let's say hypothetically Trouba doesn't want to re-sign with the Jets for whatever they're willing to offer. At that point, it would be smart for the Jets to trade his rights and hope for something in return.

What do you think it would cost to acquire Trouba's rights from the Jets?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Let's say hypothetically Trouba doesn't want to re-sign with the Jets for whatever they're willing to offer. At that point, it would be smart for the Jets to trade his rights and hope for something in return.

Probably far more than most teams want to pay. Young, top pairing RHD are very rare, so teams would need to give up something that really hurts to give up.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Probably far more than most teams want to pay. Young, top pairing RHD are very rare, so teams would need to give up something that really hurts to give up.
For rights? I don’t think you understand how trading for rights works lol

Can you tell me the last time a team traded something “that hurts” for rights?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

No, at that point it would be smart to go through arbitration.

Reactions: wankstifier

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

UFA rights are worth nothing but RFA rights still let you control the player. At that point though a sign and trade just seems more streamlined.

Reactions: Jets88

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Perhaps you don't understand how rights work. Teams trade for a player's rights in order to sign him to play for their team. In other words they are trading for the player. So, it would be something that hurts.

When was the last time a young, top pairing RHD's rights were traded?

Reactions: Jets88

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Obviously Toby doesn't understand the difference between UFA rights and RFA rights. Even if (hypothetically) Trouba won't sign long term the tactic should be to keep him for this upcoming season and then re-evaluate. He elected arbitration so he will have a contract for the upcoming season 100%. They'll be no holdout or offersheet or anything like that.

Maybe trade him next offseason with one year of control left. See if he's changed his mind. As a last resort trade him for a package that includes a RHD prospect that has broken into the league or is about to break into the league with top pair potential as the main piece of the return. i.e. trade him to Detroit for Hronek ++ or to Tampa Bay for Foote ++ or Trouba+ to Florida for Ekblad. Whatever deal makes sense at the time.

Unless we're getting an overpay right now it makes more sense for the Jets to play out the string and kick the can down the road a year. There's no reason to panic and do anything right now. If he won't sign long term and if we got a proper return, pulling the trigger this offseason could make sense.

Reactions: ps241

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Trouba filed for arbitration. He’s under contract next year regardless of whether he signs long term or not.

Reactions: ps241

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If he's not willing to sign long term, we wont be getting full value back for him, that's for sure. But it would only get worse with only one year left until UFA.

Jets would be looking at taking back

a good but not blue chip prospect
A 1st or two 2nds
A mediocre veteran

Something like that anyway. Even Karlsson isn't getting Ottawa Heiskanen

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I don't think you understand what RFA is.

Look at what Dougie Hamilton got when BOS dealt him to CGY.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017

UFA rights are worth nothing but RFA rights still let you control the player. At that point though a sign and trade just seems more streamlined.

Perhaps you don't understand how rights work. Teams trade for a player's rights in order to sign him to play for their team. In other words they are trading for the player. So, it would be something that hurts.

When was the last time a young, top pairing RHD's rights were traded?

Trouba is a rfa. His rights has pretty similar value as a signed Trouba would

Clearly this guy doesn't get the difference between RFA/UFA rights. Make sure you do some research on the matter before you get all snappy with your response. RFA rights are basically equal to the player, value wise. Possibly even more in the right situation, because the team acquiring the player can negotiate a deal themselves

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If he's not willing to sign long term, we wont be getting full value back for him, that's for sure. But it would only get worse with only one year left until UFA.

Jets would be looking at taking back

a good but not blue chip prospect
A 1st or two 2nds
A mediocre veteran

Something like that anyway. Even Karlsson isn't getting Ottawa Heiskanen
So let's say he won't sign long term and Chicago wanted to trade for Trouba, would Forsling + Anisimov + a 2019 1st do the job?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Ignoring the guy who doesn't understand RFA, can a Jets fan give me an idea of what it would hypothetically cost the Islanders should he wish to leave Winnipeg?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

RFA rights mean he is controlled by the team acquiring him.... literally two weeks ago the rights to Hanifin and Lindholm were traded for Dougie Hamilton+

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
So let's say he won't sign long term and Chicago wanted to trade for Trouba, would Forsling + Anisimov + a 2019 1st do the job?

This is terrible and not remotely close. Chicago doesn't have the pieces to get it done.

Boston trades carlo
Backes
1st
Forsbacka-karlsson

How’s that?

I like Carlo as a starting point. I'm not familiar with Backes' contract or how much he's declined to know if that's a cap dump or not. Also have no idea who the last guy is.

But Carlo + 1st is a very good starting point IMO.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Does anyone have an idea of what the Jets offered to Trouba on their qualifying offer sheet? Was it the minimum 100% of 2017-18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad