Jack Johnson leaves Michigan and is a KING!!!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well yeah we know they arent going to win, just like montreal will not win the cup this year even if they make the playoffs.

Why? Montreal has the capability to get hot and beat any team. So does Carolina. Montreal has won 6 of 7 and Carolina has gone 5-1-1 in their last 7. They both can make some noise if they carry that play into the playoffs.

I guess it makes sense for LA to have a superstar, but like you said winning cures all.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The yield has been nothing. No way to argue that point. The Kings haven't won or lost a game this entire year based on the contribution as a result of this trade.

All that Gleason & Belanger does for the Kings is maybe bump them up 2 or 3 draft positions & out of the top 4. That's a postive yield right there IMO.

I like Gleason's game, and I think that it was very important for CAR to be competitive this year coming off the Cup win, so I understand the trade from Rutherford's POV. I don't agree with the deal, and think it was a panic deal, but I understand it.

And for anyone who says that JJ should of come out earlier, I'm calling BS. The number of defenseman that are physically ready to compete at a high level at 18 or 19 is really small. JJ staying in college is also good from the team POV, because now he won't become a UFA until 27 YO instead of 25 or 26.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
WOW. Expected him to spend at least one more year in Michigan.

Think you should know the facts before making a stupid comment like this. Carolina wasn't impatient. They were smart by going out there and getting something for him. JJ was NEVER going to play in Carolina. He made that very clear when he turned the team down last year. JR and Lavi invited him to join the team during their playoff run and he turned it down. I'm sorry, but any kid would have jumped at the chance to do this. So he might have been sitting in the pressbox, but getting to practice with the team and get an experience of a lifetime, and you turn it down. He wasn't even happy when Carolina drafted him.

I'm actually glad we got rid of him when we did. Too much baggage with his daddy making all his decisions. So instead of holding on to him for 4 years and then loosing him when he re-enters the draft, we got a defenseman who is playing NOW, Tim Gleason.

I'd take Gleason any day over JJ.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
But isn't Rutherford's job ALSO to propose trades?
The Orpik name was just thrown as an example, but it just tells you how it was.
Yes you'd take Gleason over Orpik, but adding Christensen instead of Belanger is what makes the deal much more interesting.

I think JR put Johnson on the block by trying for two or three high end prospects (Staal brothers) before settling for the LA package.
I'm sure he would have been able to get more by trying to get a package deal involving a forward and a Dman (just like LA) but in better quality. Which is why I brought up Christensen.

I think JR (that I respect a lot BTW) just hit the panick button a little early here and didn't look at all his options (obviously, that's just me supposing, I have zero proof of this).

JR didn't want Orpik. JR has wanted Gleason for many years. When he offered JJ to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal it was just about a done deal until Pittsburgh decided they wanted Andrew Ladd also. Well that's a no brainer and the deal was off.

I didn't hear anything about JR going after Marc Staal. But I do know that Gleason has been very high on JRs radar. He had a chance to get a guy he really liked and went for it. I respect him for that. Gleason has been a perfect fit for this team. He and Wallin are our top pairing and have been going up against other teams top lines.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Hey if by some fluke chance Carolina wins the lottery in 2009, will you trade the rights to John Tavares to Los Angeles for Lauri Tukonen and Richard Petiot?

LA will figure it out soon enough. JJ doesn't speak for himself, he has his daddy do all the talking. All contract talks will have to go through Daddy first.

When I say I'll take Gleason over JJ anyday goes beyond what they can do on the ice. I'd rather have Gleason who wants to be in Carolina than a kid who is just going to whine and ***** cause he's on a team he doesn't want to be on. Plus, his daddy is a pain in the ass.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
LA will figure it out soon enough. JJ doesn't speak for himself, he has his daddy do all the talking. All contract talks will have to go through Daddy first.

When I say I'll take Gleason over JJ anyday goes beyond what they can do on the ice. I'd rather have Gleason who wants to be in Carolina than a kid who is just going to whine and ***** cause he's on a team he doesn't want to be on. Plus, his daddy is a pain in the ass.

So you know for a fact that JJ never wanted to play for the Canes? He always said that he was committed to Michegan for 2 years. The Canes didn't respect that, hounded him to sign, and when they didn't get there way they dealt him. Kings gain, Canes loss.
Why the hell did this turn into a Canes vs. JJ thread anyways?

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006

Why wouldn't Johnson want to play for Carolina? Is this a matter of public record, idle speculation, or do you know something everyone else does not?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why wouldn't Johnson want to play for Carolina? Is this a matter of public record, idle speculation, or do you know something everyone else does not?

Johnson never said he didn't want to play for Carolina. He didn't feel he was ready and wanted to stay another year in school.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Think you should know the facts before making a stupid comment like this. Carolina wasn't impatient. They were smart by going out there and getting something for him. JJ was NEVER going to play in Carolina. He made that very clear when he turned the team down last year. JR and Lavi invited him to join the team during their playoff run and he turned it down. I'm sorry, but any kid would have jumped at the chance to do this.

Well, Johnson didn't jump at that chance, so yes, not every kid would have.

So he might have been sitting in the pressbox, but getting to practice with the team and get an experience of a lifetime, and you turn it down.

Experience of a lifetime? We're talking about practice. He's going to practice with a team for the rest of his career.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
So you know for a fact that JJ never wanted to play for the Canes? He always said that he was committed to Michegan for 2 years. The Canes didn't respect that, hounded him to sign, and when they didn't get there way they dealt him. Kings gain, Canes loss.

He made it very clear he didn't want to play for the canes last year. He didn't, no wait, his daddy didn't officially come out and say it, but you can read between the lines. Interupt the way you want, but these points has me saying NO he would never wear the sightless eye:

1) drafted by the canes and canes were told he wanted to play all 4 years at Michigan and help them win an NCAA championship

2) JR and Lavi invited him to join the team last year during their playoff run. He turned them down. Why? School was out. How could you not want to join the team. Its an experience of a lifetime. Daddy's reason for him not joining the team: 'Jack committed to 4 years and wants to help his team win the NCAA Championship.'

Personally I've never believed the 4 year excuse. Daddy wasn't happy that his son was drafted by the Canes. If the canes never traded his rights away, the kid would have stayed in school for the 4 years and re-entered the draft. In which case would be worse. Atleast we got something for him.

Unless you live here in Raleigh, you don't know everything and what drama this kid has made for this organization. JR, Lavi, and PK had multiple meetings with JJ and his dad for months. From what i've heard regarding those meetings, JJ was never going to sign with the organization. So if this part is true, then yeah, JR was smart in trading his rights away otherwise we would have gotten nothing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

On Draft Day when Johnson was asked if he would sign right away with Carolina if they wanted to tender him an offer and he said he would. After the first set of negotiations, it turned into "two years at least. I want to win a Championship".

Word is that some of the wrong hands were in the talks and it served as a warning sign for Carolina management and they pulled the trigger.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Experience of a lifetime? We're talking about practice. He's going to practice with a team for the rest of his career.

Carolina offered him with the contract the promise that he would at least dress for the playoffs. At least, that's what word was passed down through the organization. They wanted it to be a Rob Blake or Rod Brind'Amour type deal where they jumped straight from college hockey to playoff hockey, but JJ balked.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

When everyone started going on and on about how much the Canes were losers and how much it sucked to be Carolina. Last I checked, the Canes were the reigning champs and have a good chance at making the playoffs (even winning the division).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good lord.

How is that a wrong descision? Right now (and most likely next year as well) it's the right pick.

Long term? Yeah I'll likely give the edge to JJ, and probably a big one at that if he hits his potential, but that's not to say that Gleason is a piece of junk to begin with. Gleason's a barely 24 year old defenseman playing quite well on the Canes top pairing and his offensive game is just starting to come into its own. On top of that, Gleason still could easily help the Canes to another division title, they're still only 4 back of Atlanta with a game in hand and a game left against them. Who knows how this trade will look in 4 years, but the assumption that it's a laughable return for the Canes at this point and on par with the Thornton trade is even more laughable. Johnson has done nothing at the NHL level yet, unlike Thornton who was already a franchise player at the time.

HFBoards, where potential outweighs results every time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Johnson made a commitment and promise to Red Berenson that he will be in Michigan for two years. Carolina new this. He publicly stated this multiple times. Carolina couldn't convince him to leave school early, so they panicked to get help now and overlooked the future of the franchise. Gleason is a good #3-4 type defenseman, but he won't be an impact defenseman like Johnson and it is possible for Carolina to miss the playoffs. How does that help the Hurricanes?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Carolina offered him with the contract the promise that he would at least dress for the playoffs. At least, that's what word was passed down through the organization. They wanted it to be a Rob Blake or Rod Brind'Amour type deal where they jumped straight from college hockey to playoff hockey, but JJ balked.

That's not what the poster said. He said he'd watch Carolina play from the press box get the experience of a lifetime by practicing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Johnson made a commitment and promise to Red Berenson that he will be in Michigan for two years. Carolina new this. He publicly stated this multiple times. Carolina couldn't convince him to leave school early, so they panicked to get help now and overlooked the future of the franchise. Gleason is a good #3-4 type defenseman, but he won't be an impact defenseman like Johnson and it is possible for Carolina to miss the playoffs. How does that help the Hurricanes?

When was this commitment made? Before or after draft day. On draft day during an interview, which I may be able to dig up given the time, he stated that he would sign a contract at the moment should Carolina want to bring him in the fold. At the time, Carolina thought it best for his development to let him play a year of college hockey before bringing him on board the way they did with David Tanabe. When Carolina had the good fortune they had last season, they decided that it was worth the risk to bring Johnson on board for the playoffs and he balked. That's when the two year commitment and I stress, at least, started to crop up.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
That's not what the poster said. He said he'd watch Carolina play from the press box get the experience of a lifetime by practicing.

Well I disagree with that notion when presented in that way. Though, it would be a rather interesting experience even to practice with a team that went on to win the Stanley Cup. Of course, he had no way of knowing at the time how the time would do in the Playoffs so it's a moot point. I understood the decision for him at the time, but still took it a little hard. I held out hope that he wanted to play here, but that was the first sign that things had turned for the worst. You just don't see prospects like Johnson traded usually. That's why the return on him many people question, because there isn't a great deal to base the return on.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
There is far too much sniping going on in this thread. Everyone needs to go back to their respective corners and take a deep breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad