Jack Johnson leaves Michigan and is a KING!!!

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I don't see how you can label JJ's fighting skills as bad. He fought two of the toughest fighters for their size in the NHL. Doan (in typical fashion) had his gloves off waiting after his cheap shot and landed a right to JJ's cheek before Jacks even got his left glove off.

He had good balance and showed a good ability to take a punch without the use of a face cage. That's all you want in a kids first fight.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I don't see how you can label JJ's fighting skills as bad. He fought two of the toughest fighters for their size in the NHL. Doan (in typical fashion) had his gloves off waiting after his cheap shot and landed a right to JJ's cheek before Jacks even got his left glove off.

He had good balance and showed a good ability to take a punch without the use of a face cage. That's all you want in a kids first fight.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If you think that Doan and Carcillo aren't tough guys, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Doan I would argue against being a "tough guy". This fight was his only fight of the year. Last year, he had five fighting majors against the following players:

Vishnevski
Murray
Volchenkov
Mitchell
Laperriere

I would contend, however, that Johnson didn't get a fair shot to do much of anything with how quick the whole "fight" happened. It was more like the gloves were dropped by both and Doan got to him so quickly that Johnson didn't get much of a chance to throw.

Carcillo is only 5'11 191. He's a willing fighter, but not exactly a tough guy either. He does however have experience that Johnson does not have. He has been involved in quite a few tilts. Aside from Johnson, he has fought Mark Rycroft, Danny Richmond, and Krys Barch. None of the premier light heavyweights in that list either. In fact, that list of fighters is VERY soft, but he does have experience which Johnson does not.

I'm not sure why disecting his fights has anything to do with his play, anyways. He's not going to be a fighter at this level for a number of reasons. Least of all being the fact that he has yet to develop the upper body strength to handle the tougher customers in the league. Not that he's a wuss, but he's only 20 years old.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Johnson will be a fighter. He is super confident, arrogant and mean. I've been fighting and training since 8 years old and can tell you those 3 things is all you need. It's easier on the ice becasue you dont have to think.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Johnson will be a fighter. He is super confident, arrogant and mean. I've been fighting and training since 8 years old and can tell you those 3 things is all you need. It's easier on the ice becasue you dont have to think.

The reason I doubt he'll be a fighter is that if he's the type of player that some anticipate he develops into, he'll be too valuable to drop them. Players like Iginla that you know can throw usually don't drop the gloves because they're too valuable for their team to lose for five minutes when the opposition is usually some goon.

Add to that the fact that he doesn't have a lot of fighting experience because he went the NCAA and USDP route and you have a recipe for a player that isn't going to be known for his pugulistic skills. He's not going to be given the freedom to learn on the job at the potential expense of getting a concussion or breaking his hand. Learning to fight in the NHL is never a good idea and especially with a player that is touted like Johnson.

That isn't to say that he won't ever fight again, but I would imagine the Kings would attempt to discourage starting fights. Just doesn't really serve a purpose towards his development with the direction that hockey is going.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
The reason I doubt he'll be a fighter is that if he's the type of player that some anticipate he develops into, he'll be too valuable to drop them. Players like Iginla that you know can throw usually don't drop the gloves because they're too valuable for their team to lose for five minutes when the opposition is usually some goon.

Add to that the fact that he doesn't have a lot of fighting experience because he went the NCAA and USDP route and you have a recipe for a player that isn't going to be known for his pugulistic skills. He's not going to be given the freedom to learn on the job at the potential expense of getting a concussion or breaking his hand. Learning to fight in the NHL is never a good idea and especially with a player that is touted like Johnson.

That isn't to say that he won't ever fight again, but I would imagine the Kings would attempt to discourage starting fights. Just doesn't really serve a purpose towards his development with the direction that hockey is going.

That makes sense. I was more considering his ability rather than the fact that he likely wouldn't have the chance to drop much.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006

Agreed.

Randall Graves*

Doans always been a cheapshotter...is JJ going to play for Manchester or is he finished?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Go get'em Jack........like I said, it will be a short career!!! He has played his whole life with a cage on......being cocky and/or confident is what happens when you play with a cage! You don't understand the difference between being a good fighter and not being a good fighter. I don't doubt that JJ doesn't mind dropping the mitts, but I am telling you he is in way over his head! He is going to get knocked out quickly if he keeps it up......but you keep hyping up how tough he is, yet he has played in leagues where there is no fighting, but alot of stickwork and talking tough. Like I said, go get'em JJ!

Kopistar

Jan 28, 2007
I'm telling you, this thread is filled with posts from Jealous Canes fans, or people from Canada who actually think JJ made contact with Downie.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
So Johnson is going to have a short career because he was the dominate male in NCAA and he wore a required cage?

Interesting.

Some of you guys act like its JJ JOB to fight. Like CF was saying, it is going to be frowned upon when JJ drops the gloves because LA can't afford losing him for 5 minutes fighting some scrub. Plus the chance of breaking a hand or a concussion is also a very real possibility. No Lindros please :teach:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
now im not saying Ryan will be the next Daigle, but Daigle in a worse situation scored more points in about the same amount of games in the same league, and appearntly playing styles are the same. This is what hes basing it on.

Daigle's playing style was nothing like Ryan's. Daigle was a perimeter player who relied almost solely on his speed and skill. Ryan is slower and less skilled than Daigle was, but he is more of a physical presence and plays better in traffic. Ryan is also bigger than Daigle was.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Personally, if I were a Kings fan, I wouldn't want JJ fighting much at all. If he becomes as good as he supposed to, he would be too valuable to be risking injury fighting or to sit in the box for majors that someone else with less skill could take.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Personally, if I were a Kings fan, I wouldn't want JJ fighting much at all. If he becomes as good as he supposed to, he would be too valuable to be risking injury fighting or to sit in the box for majors that someone else with less skill could take.

Lost in all this is the fact that Johnson was merely sticking up for his teammates. Who cares if he's the worst fighter in the history of the NHL? I'm sure his teammates appreciate the fact that as a green rookie he took on a thug like Carcillo and an established vet like Doan. Yeah, he got mopped, but he kept grinnin! :yo:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Lost in all this is the fact that Johnson was merely sticking up for his teammates. Who cares if he's the worst fighter in the history of the NHL? I'm sure his teammates appreciate the fact that as a green rookie he took on a thug like Carcillo and an established vet like Doan. Yeah, he got mopped, but he kept grinnin! :yo:

He was smiling even with a rapidly swelling cheek and eye. That tells me he can take a beating without a cage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad