Speculation: Jack Eichel cont'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Question: What happens if Jack just gets the ADR surgery himself? I’d assume that voids his remaining contract, he’s free to sign where he likes- I guess I don’t see why he wouldn’t just do that? Am I missing something? Sure, he’d likely lose a big chunk of change, but how many tens of millions do you need if you get a surgery that f***s up your quality of life? If he’s really confident in it and is really concerned about fusion- seems the only route for him at this point. What am I missing? How could the Sabres stop him?
The Sabres couldn't stop him but, if the surgery goes wrong, and when you are talking about someone's spine, something could always go wrong, Eichel would be out $50M.

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The Sabres couldn't stop him but, if the surgery goes wrong, and when you are talking about someone's spine, something could always go wrong, Eichel would be out $50M.

Gotcha- it’d be a bold move, I still don’t like Pegula, but eh- that kinda changes things for me slightly. If the problem really is that insurance won’t cover it, and if Jack really is confident he’d be fine- he gets the surgery he wants and he gets outta Buffalo, win-win. I assume he’d have to take a pay cut with a new team at first, but eh- health above wealth, I think he’d prove himself elite again and could just redo that sorta contract for a more functional franchise.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gotcha- it’d be a bold move, I still don’t like Pegula, but eh- that kinda changes things for me slightly. If the problem really is that insurance won’t cover it, and if Jack really is confident he’d be fine- he gets the surgery he wants and he gets outta Buffalo, win-win. I assume he’d have to take a pay cut with a new team at first, but eh- health above wealth, I think he’d prove himself elite again and could just redo that sorta contract for a more functional franchise.
Fair enough.

If it was me, I'd go home and sit on the couch, without a care in the world, as I collect my $10M/yr for the next 5 years.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Fair enough.

If it was me, I'd go home and sit on the couch, without a care in the world, as I collect my $10M/yr for the next 5 years.

Same here, probably, but I also feel like it’d depend on the odds of another team allowing the ADR. I can’t say I blame Jack for his current course, but if this is just gonna fester and hurt his future value.. I’d respect the hell outta him if he made the move that allowed him to determine his own future, even if it means risking a boatload of money in the short term.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Same here, probably, but I also feel like it’d depend on the odds of another team allowing the ADR. I can’t say I blame Jack for his current course, but if this is just gonna fester and hurt his future value.. I’d respect the hell outta him if he made the move that allowed him to determine his own future, even if it means risking a boatload of money in the short term.
He's not doing himself any favours. Every step Team Eichel has taken has been a bad one.

Your healthy is the most important thing in life. He likely has $20M+ in the bank but it's no fun spending it from a wheel chair. If I was Jack, I'd collect my salary until the Sabres suspended me and then I'd retire.

But, then again, I'm a lazy S.O.B.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Question: What happens if Jack just gets the ADR surgery himself? I’d assume that voids his remaining contract, he’s free to sign where he likes- I guess I don’t see why he wouldn’t just do that? Am I missing something? Sure, he’d likely lose a big chunk of change, but how many tens of millions do you need if you get a surgery that f***s up your quality of life? If he’s really confident in it and is really concerned about fusion- seems the only route for him at this point. What am I missing? How could the Sabres stop him?

If I was a professional athlete with a bad neck I wouldn't want to give away any guaranteed money

Last edited:

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Marner for Eichel does now make a lot of sense.

Eichel has a $10m salary, whilst Marner from next year has an $8m salary vs an $11m cap hit. Buffalo probably didn't fancy retaining $2m for another 4 and a half years but they might be willing to retain on Marner for 3 and a half years at a lower $ amount than the cap.

Marner at $8.5m would have a lot of takers from those already with a first line.

The Leafs could play Tavares on the wing, have two legit goalscorers in Matthews and Eichel, with a bit more desire to win, whilst Buffalo would get a good haul for Marner.

It makes sense, so it won't happen.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Fact: I'm still waiting for a source that says insurance won't cover the contract... please post your source.

Fact: Please post the names of NHL players who have had cervical fusion surgery, other than Dorsett and Letang. Since this is 0 surgeries is "experimental and unproven", then 2 surgeries with 1 ending a players career can't be considered the safe route. So go ahead and tell me the 20 or 30 other NHL players who have gone on to have long careers after fusion.

Fact: I posed this summer that maybe the problem with the surgery is insurance. Everyone missed the MAYBE out of that and instead it morphed into a “fact”. Apparently I’m more credible with speculation than Eklund is :laugh:

Fact: Grant Marshall (not the TikTok kid, apparently) had fusion surgery in 1990, while playing for the Ottawa 67s, after breaking his neck against the Sudbury Wolves. He ended up playing until 2008, won 2 Cups, and was known to drop the gloves a lot. So that’s 3 neck fusion surgeries, with 2 being successful.

There’s not gonna be many, because most hockey injuries are either the back or to the brain. It’s actually kind of surprising there isn’t more neck injuries.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Marner for Eichel does now make a lot of sense.

Eichel has a $10m salary, whilst Marner from next year has an $8m salary vs an $11m cap hit. Buffalo probably didn't fancy retaining $2m for another 4 and a half years but they might be willing to retain on Marner for 3 and a half years at a lower $ amount than the cap.

Marner at $8.5m would have a lot of takers from those already with a first line.

The Leafs could play Tavares on the wing, have two legit goalscorers in Matthews and Eichel, with a bit more desire to win, whilst Buffalo would get a good haul for Marner.

It makes sense, so it won't happen.

It really only makes sense for the Leafs.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The Sabres are not giving up any rights to Eichel if he has his own surgery, outside the collective agreement. What is the basis for believing this would happen?

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'll echo what others have said, Marner for Eichel makes zero sense for Buffalo. They don't need another soft, listless, overpaid winger on the team. Right now the strength of the organization and it's pipeline is on the wings. They'll want futures back, mainly prospects and picks that will fit or that they can hand pick to form their own core.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Mayo alone won't cut for me. Not enough mustard in this deal.
Add Vlassic from SJ as a side deal. That deal would be more than half-sour.

From the bottom of my heart I apologize for my utter lack of self-control. I'll try to do better in the future.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Buffalo gets
Nick schmaltz
Dysin Mayo
2021 2nd

AZ
Eichel
2021 3rd

Schmaltz comes in and steps in at center and Mayo is a D piece. Thoughts? Win win for both tanks.
My favorite part is the Buffalo add of a 3rd. Real good stuff right there.

Edit: oh, also that the picks are from a draft that happened 3 months ago.

Reactions: Zach716

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Who wants to trade for Eichel when they know that they won't be able to use him for at least 4-5 months anyway.

Tampa could get away with it, but don't have the assets that Buffalo wants.

Rangers needs help now, not in March.

Florida?

NJ are 1-2 seasons away from being a serious challenger, so perhaps them, since they do have many good young players.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad