Speculation: Jack Eichel cont'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
You forgot option 3: do nothing and keep waiting. There's 0 chance Eichel wins that grievance. That's why he's only filing it now instead of ~6 months ago when he first could have. The Sabres haven't violated the CBA, he's got no wrong-doing to point to.

That's my point though, they have been doing option 3 and it hasn't been working. This grievance only puts more pressure on them and it makes things worse even if the grievance gets shot down.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's my point though, they have been doing option 3 and it hasn't been working. This grievance only puts more pressure on them and it makes things worse even if the grievance gets shot down.

Impossible to say whether option 3 is working when we don't know what teams are offering for Eichel. It sounds like the offers are all shit, though, and I don't think you'll find a single Sabres fan who'd rather "rip the bandaid off" to another ROR trade than keep waiting for someone to ante up something that starts to approach reasonable value. The grievance doesn't do anything to Buffalo, really. It's a losing battle for Eichel, and, as soon as it's done, he'll have played every card in his hand.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I don't believe the grievance will affect Adams' approach at all.

The passing of time and interest from other GMs is the big issue. Adams saw patience pay off in the Risto trade. He is hoping it will pay off in this case.

The challenge we have as fans is that we have no idea what the level of interest has been and what serious offers have been made to date. It is conceivable that no offers have been made to date that would make any sense for the Sabres other than just moving on from the player. But, Adams has never felt that moving Eichel just to move him was acceptable.

Last edited:

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Impossible to say whether option 3 is working when we don't know what teams are offering for Eichel. It sounds like the offers are all shit, though, and I don't think you'll find a single Sabres fan who'd rather "rip the bandaid off" to another ROR trade than keep waiting for someone to ante up something that starts to approach reasonable value. The grievance doesn't do anything to Buffalo, really. It's a losing battle for Eichel, and, as soon as it's done, he'll have played every card in his hand.

And what if no one offers "reasonable value"? Wait until next year after paying Eichel 10 million dollars and now has 4 years left on his contract and still waiting to have surgery.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't believe the grievance will affect Adams' approach at all.

The passing of time and interest from other GMs is the big issue. Adams saw patience pay off in the Risto trade. He is hoping it will pay off in this case.

The challenge we have as fans is that we have no idea what the level of interest has been and what serious offers have been made to date. It is conceivable that no offers have been made to date that would make any sense for the Sabres other than just moving on from the player. But, Adams has never felt that moving Eichel just to move him was acceptable.

If they go the grievance route, I think its for two reasons:

A) They feel they can they can argue that the CBA isn't meant to prevent a player from getting the a reasonable course of treatment, which they intend to prove ADR is.
B) Basically, by keeping the media attention on the situation, basically make every day that they don't trade Eichel a huge pain in the ass until a deal is done and Eichel can get treatment.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

A) They feel they can they can argue that the CBA isn't meant to prevent a player from getting the a reasonable course of treatment, which they intend to prove ADR is.
B) Basically, by keeping the media attention on the situation, basically make every day that they don't trade Eichel a huge pain in the ass until a deal is done and Eichel can get treatment.

I think A is a longshot and I don't think Adams cares about B since Eichel isn't around the team.

They weathered the Eichel questions at the start of camp and the decent start has changed the narrative around the team itself. I think the only way the Eichel thing dragging out and the media has any affect on things is if local media starts asking the players regularly if they are frustrated that they haven't traded Eichel for NHLers to help this team this season.

Kind of like how things went during the Peca holdout.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I think A) misses the issue a bit though. The CBA isn't preventing him from getting treatment. He can get whatever treatment he wants, just if he does he can be found in breach of contract and have his contract terminated.

A lot of people are acting like the Sabres have strapped him to a chair and won't let him live his life. The argument isn't about letting him have the surgery or not, it's about whether or not he is still owed the protection of his contract and the CBA if he does get the surgery. He can go tomorrow, pay out of pocket, and get the surgery.

Reactions: Daz28

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
At this point I think its safe to say the Sabers know what CGY is willing to offer. They are either a) not impressed with the package, trying to leverage a higher quality deal or b) looking for a third team to take on a contract or help facilitate some cap gymnastics.

Blockbuster trades of this magnitude, especially given the asterisks on the main piece, are tough to do in a cap world. I hope it gets done before they give up.

Reactions: Fatass

Ledge And Dairy

At this point I think its safe to say the Sabers know what CGY is willing to offer. They are either a) not impressed with the package, trying to leverage a higher quality deal or b) looking for a third team to take on a contract or help facilitate some cap gymnastics.

Blockbuster trades of this magnitude, especially given the asterisks on the main piece, are tough to do in a cap world. I hope it gets done before they give up.
Brisson being in charge is nice though since he orchestrated the Duchene 3-way deal

Reactions: Ainsy01

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

And what is Calgary ready to offer?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
And what is Calgary ready to offer?

I think the offer is based on the 4 first-round asset asking price that was stated by buffalo, something like: Monahan, one of Valimaki/Kylington, Connor Zary and a first with some conditions based on Jacks health.

I would think the Sabers are trying to include Tkachyk/Mangiapane somewhere in the deal, that may be a sticking point.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think the offer is based on the 4 first-round asset asking price that was stated by buffalo, something like: Monahan, one of Valimaki/Kylington, Connor Zary and a first with some conditions based on Jacks health.

I would think the Sabers are trying to include Tkachyk/Mangiapane somewhere in the deal, that may be a sticking point.
Well, it’s not too impressive now. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the price of Monahan in the market is quite low right now. We don't need Valimaki/Kyllington because of the position, does Kyllington have any serious value? I like Zary, but he is unlikely to be rated as an elite prospect. It turns out that half of the assets in the deal are suitable, and half are not, IMO.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Well, it’s not too impressive now. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the price of Monahan in the market is quite low right now. We don't need Valimaki/Kyllington because of the position, does Kyllington have any serious value? I like Zary, but he is unlikely to be rated as an elite prospect. It turns out that half of the assets in the deal are suitable, and half are not, IMO.

Yup, agreed. It might be a "thats the best we can do" scenario.

An option is changing out Pelletier and or an additional first round pick in place of Valimaki/Kylington.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yup, agreed. It might be a "thats the best we can do" scenario.

An option is changing out Pelletier and or an additional first round pick in place of Valimaki/Kylington.
That would be much better, although I wonder what can get for Monahan in the market right now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That would be much better, although I wonder what can get for Monahan in the market right now.

What I've heard, from someone who's been right in the past, as well as someone else who's talked about it online:

Buffalo's ask is:
2022 First round Pick, 2022 Second Round Pick, Sean Monahan, Connor Zary & one of Dillon Dube or Andrew Mangiapane.

Calgary is likely, though just speculation trying:
2022 First round (protected), 2022 Second round Pick, Sean Monahan, Connor Zary/Jakob Pelletier and one of Juuso Valimaki or Oliver Kylington.

From what I understand, Calgary is currently the one closest to getting this done. I doubt Buffalo wants the grievance filed on Eichel's end.

I also heard that originally Matthew Tkachuk was involved in this discussion, but has since mended bridges with the club; with Sutter and Treliving personally reaching out to him.

Reactions: Ainsy01 and Kahvi

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What I've heard, from someone who's been right in the past, as well as someone else who's talked about it online:

Buffalo's ask is:
2022 First round Pick, 2022 Second Round Pick, Sean Monahan, Connor Zary & one of Dillon Dube or Andrew Mangiapane.

Calgary is likely, though just speculation trying:
2022 First round (protected), 2022 Second round Pick, Sean Monahan, Connor Zary/Jakob Pelletier and one of Juuso Valimaki or Oliver Kylington.

From what I understand, Calgary is currently the one closest to getting this done. I doubt Buffalo wants the grievance filed on Eichel's end.

I also heard that originally Matthew Tkachuk was involved in this discussion, but has since mended bridges with the club; with Sutter and Treliving personally reaching out to him.
Well that's not bad, but I basically asked you a Flames fan what do you think you can get for Monahan in the market right now? 2nd? 1st? Some kind prospect + 2nd/1st?

Flames: Eichel

Sabres: Zary + Dube/Mangiapane/Pelletier + 1st

Third team: Monahan and return for Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad