Jack Edwards needs to be stopped.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
oh man. lol.

I thought he was a NATIONAL broadcaster.

Then I would totally understand the problem with his broadcasting on that particular video clip.

But he's REGIONAL?

Just like Joe Bowen.. IT'S WHAT THEY DO.

What do you mean Jack Edwards "Needs To Be Stopped" lol...

then so does Joe Bowen, and that Buffalo Sabres guy and so on.. come on, OP, you know better than that.

Did you watch the video of him from the recent game in Toronto? If so, do you not think it was way over the top?

Edwards isn’t being criticized for being a Homer, he’s being criticized because he’s a lunatic who can’t control his emotions while doing his job.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Did you watch the video of him from the recent game in Toronto? If so, do you not think it was way over the top?

Edwards isn’t being criticized for being a Homer, he’s being criticized because he’s a lunatic who can’t control his emotions while doing his job.
But he caters to Bruins fans. He is THEIR PBP guy. And if he was your teams PBP guy you'd love him too!

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
To answer your first two questions: According to the Society of Professional Journalism one of the most important obligations for journalism in general is "To act independently", and without conflict of interest... Commentating for a team that you have a clear conflict of interest with shatters the whole idea of avoiding COI.

It's kind of a basic of sports journalism that you're not supposed to proclaim yourself a fan of your particular team and that you're meant to remain impartial. When a sports commentator proclaims (or makes it obvious) that they're a fan of one team or another it makes them lose a degree of credibility.

I EXPECT them to be biased as well, because they ARE. But that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Honestly, I'd prefer every commentator in the league to be from out-of-market with zero connection to their team.

we need to hold journalists accountable.

BladesBruins.jpg

look at this piece of shit, he isnt even trying to hide his bias. no credibility whatsoever

Reactions: Legionnaire

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
But he caters to Bruins fans. He is THEIR PBP guy. And if he was your teams PBP guy you'd love him too!

No, I wouldn’t actually. Not when he’s acting like a jackass amd shouting over a bad call. Criticize the call if you want, but shouting is not something I happen to enjoy listening to.

Every local guy is a homer to some extent, they don’t all yell and act unprofessional though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So you don't expect the Bruins to play any more playoff games past the first round?
Yes I think they quit because the ghost of Jim Dorey appears to each player telling them the 51 year curse has been lifted and the Leafs will have that parade the Hockey News said they can

The same Hockey News that preseason picked Boston to finish out of the playoffs

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I understand he’s supposed to have some bias, but he has a tendency to go overboard, he comes off like a drunk guy blindly defending his team at times. The fact that he calls out the toughness of hockey players while looking like a chess coach is also comical.
He guy from the nerd from teen movies that hangs around the jocks kissing their asses and hoping they will accept him, but they never do.

He more biased than a helicopter parent. Marchand could spear someone so hard the stick went into the other player's stomach and got tangled in the intestines, and Jack would be screaming for a holding the stick penalty.

"Marchand with a good hockey play to the stomach, that dirtbag had it coming from Marchand. He's using his intestines to tangle Marchand's stick. He's down. THAT A DIVE!!! THAT's A DIVE. He's thrown himself to the ice, HE'S FORCING MARCHAND TO DRAG HIM AROUND. It is dispicable, TRULY DISPICABLE. IN ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS! SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP IN, NOW! Marchand can't be expected to play like this. The NHL is going to have to step and suspend THAT COWARD for his acts against MARCHAND. This is a disgrace! "

Last edited:
Reactions: shinchanyo

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Joe Bowen's been similarly incredulous at non-calls against the Leafs as well.

Goes both ways, folks, they cater to their target audience, and both can be wildly biased at times.

Edwards just gets noticed more because Bowen isn't on TV.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
No, I wouldn’t actually. Not when he’s acting like a jackass amd shouting over a bad call. Criticize the call if you want, but shouting is not something I happen to enjoy listening to.

Every local guy is a homer to some extent, they don’t all yell and act unprofessional though.

I remember a fair number of Sens fans hating Potvin as our guy because he was just so damn biased that it was too much to stomach.

Basilius

Dec 18, 2010
Massachusetts
As a Bruins fan, my biggest problem with Jack Edwards is how happy and excited he sounds when the other team scores. I have no problem with giving credit where credit is due, but I don't like how happy he sounds when the other team scores. It feels very traitorous. He's certainly no Fred Cusick.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Edwards is a joke if you're a fan of good, classy announcers. If you can get down in the muck and enjoy an embarrassing homer (which we are all partly open to doing) then there's a lot of carny level fun to be had with his buffoonish character.

One of my biggest laughs was a highlight of him announcing and laughing maniacally at Flyers fans who "Want a call...for a hit from BEHIND!! BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Classic so bad it's good/not laughing with you, laughing at you type of deal.

Rick J in buffalo infuriates me though.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As a Bruins fan, my biggest problem with Jack Edwards is how happy and excited he sounds when the other team scores. I have no problem with giving credit where credit is due, but I don't like how happy he sounds when the other team scores. It feels very traitorous. He's certainly no Fred Cusick.

Cusick reacted to goals against like the other team stole his wife then shot his dog.

. . . As he should.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Joe Bowen's been similarly incredulous at non-calls against the Leafs as well.

Goes both ways, folks, they cater to their target audience, and both can be wildly biased at times.

Edwards just gets noticed more because Bowen isn't on TV.

True, but I think the reason Edwards gets noticed more is because he's more of a dick about it.

Marchand is owed a free one, just remember that guys!

While Kadri going around clubbing heads isn't by any means a good thing, it's pretty funny that he doesn't see Marchand doing the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad