Jack Edwards needs to be stopped.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Can't stand this dude. He's gotta be one of the dumbest and most biased media people in the hockey business. It seems that every time he opens his mouth he's either saying something incredibly homer-ish, or just plain stupid. This time was a bit of both...

Edit: It was also Marchand who took out Johnsson too (i'm not gunna buy that it was an accident, Marchy knew that Toronto was about to go 2 on 1). I agree that it should have been blown dead earlier, but commentators are supposed to remain as impartial as possible, and Edwards is blatantly unable to do that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't stand this dude. He's gotta be one of the dumbest and most biased media people in the hockey business. It seems that every time he opens his mouth he's either saying something incredibly homer-ish, or just plain stupid. This time was a bit of both...

Edit: It was also Marchand who took out Johnsson too (i'm not gunna buy that it was an accident). I agree that it should have been blown dead earlier, but commentators are supposed to remain as impartial as possible, and Edwards is blatantly unable to do that.
He's dumb? But you're smart.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So... A PBP announcer for the Bruins, on the Bruins network, acts like a homer and people are upset... why?

If anything, threads like this are what need to be stopped.
Because this is FARRR from the first time that he's done this, and the subject matter, and his inability to maintain his composure should be unacceptable in that field of work... I mean, the guy is beside himself here, everytime he says something stupid I think it can't get worse, then he goes and tops himself again with something like this.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Edit: It was also Marchand who took out Johnsson too (i'm not gunna buy that it was an accident, Marchy knew that Toronto was about to go 2 on 1). I agree that it should have been blown dead earlier, but commentators are supposed to remain as impartial as possible, and Edwards is blatantly unable to do that.

According to who? According to what rule? I fully expect PBP guys who are calling games on their local channels to be biased. It is when games are televised nationally that commentators need to reign it in.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Because this is FARRR from the first time that he's done this, and the subject matter, and his inability to maintain his composure should be unacceptable in that field of work... I mean, the guy is beside himself here, everytime he says something stupid I think it can't get worse, then he goes and tops himself again with something like this.

Who cares if it is the first time he has done something like this. Change the channel. Watch it/stream it on a different network. Or did you not watch it live and are just getting worked up over a youtube clip?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't disagree with what he said, but it could have been said differently.

Then again playoffs, Bruins' PBP guy, I don't really have a major issue with it.

If PBP guys show no emotion they are called out for it. People talk about how boring the broadcast is. When they get really into it, we get threads like this. There is no winning.

If this was on NBC I could somewhat understand it. But it wasn't. It was on NESN.

Also, having had NHL Center Ice on and off since 05-06 and having heard every single commentary crew in the league, Edwards isn't even close to being the worst. He and Brickley actually do a better job than most crews.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If PBP guys show no emotion they are called out for it. People talk about how boring the broadcast is. When they get really into it, we get threads like this. There is no winning.

If this was on NBC I could somewhat understand it. But it wasn't. It was on NESN.

Also, having had NHL Center Ice on and off since 05-06 and having heard every single commentary crew in the league, Edwards isn't even close to being the worst. He and Brickley actually do a better job than most crews.
who are bigger homers then?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Yeah, you can see Marchand use his right hand to pull Johnsson down.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I guess Jack Edwards expects players to be unconscious if a ref blows his whistle WHILE THE BRUINS ARE ON THE POWERPLAY ?!!

In all seriousness, he is the Bruins announcer he is supposed to be a homer.

All team announcers are homerish to one degree or another......WHILE THE BRUINS ARE ON THE POWERPLAY?!!!

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Toronto already had possession going back the other way, it should’ve been blown down earlier if anything.

There’s honestly no contest on who the most biased commentator is, and that’s not even close to the funniest stuff he’s said this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad