Jack Edwards needs to be stopped.

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
It's funny. These regional homer commentators are hilarious. Like Phil Esposito years ago doing colour for Tampa Bay.

Espo is still a huge homer, now he does it over the radio for Tampa instead.

Also, I think the only opinions that should matter about Jack are Bruins fans and those who have no choice but to watch NESN.

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
I'm not about to read through yet another Jack Edwards Complain thread...but I need to say my peace.

It's outbursts like this latest one that really irk me (a Bruins fan). It's not even necessarily because the player was hurt...it's just embarrassingly unprofessional to go off on agitated rants like that and for such an extended period...and as frequently as he has them.

He makes himself look like a fool when he does this, and rarely does he have a rock-solid unbiased point when he's flipping out either.

That being said, his game-calling from a technical standpoint, is pretty damn good. His voice gets annoying only when he starts whining, IMO. I enjoy his call, but can't stand the majority of his rants.

I think it's also important to separate Andy Brickley from him. He rarely plays into his rants, other than offering up a slightly Bruins-slanted take on bad reffing (find me a local color guy who doesn't...you can't). I think Brick is easily a top 3 Color guy in the league.

In regards to "needs to be stopped", I'd slightly agree. I do wish NESN would talk to him about going overboard, but he creates pub for them, so why would they? He doesn't often whine about injured players (unless they're Habs faking injuries) so that's not a citeable issue. He's just annoying. To that I say: "Get over it".

Reactions: Callieflower

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
I like Edwards because he makes the Bruins look bad.

This doesn't even make sense. He's one man. He speaks for himself, not the team or it's fans. Hard to make a team "look bad" when they score 110 points despite having an annoying announcer.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
This doesn't even make sense. He's one man. He speaks for himself, not the team or it's fans. Hard to make a team "look bad" when they score 110 points despite having an annoying announcer.

What does the number of points have to do with anything here? When all those Man United players surrounded the ref, that made them look bad, even though they were successful.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
a notoriously tough-city/hockey team.

Notoriously tough? Chara's a great player but he's also dirty. Marchand is the biggest clown the league has seen in the last 15 years. Yes, easily more clownish than Burrows. He's a cheap shot artist and his diving against the Caps in the 2012 playoffs is the worst diving I've seen in the sport ever. Ever.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I think it's so unfortunate, because he is a very good PBP guy and usually pretty educated on things but he needs to ruin everything with his shit.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nayttokuva_2015-3-25_kello_8.50.52.png

Durning 2011 cup run used to hate him too but slowly he has become my favorite and none other come even close. This guy is hilarious and the clip on OP is perfect example why.

Edwards didn't do the Cup run, it was NBC after the first round.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I understand he’s supposed to have some bias, but he has a tendency to go overboard, he comes off like a drunk guy blindly defending his team at times. The fact that he calls out the toughness of hockey players while looking like a chess coach is also comical.

Reactions: Lilou

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
my favourite Jack Edwards moment was the depressing commentary he gave in the dying minutes of Game 7 in Boston in 2010, and after the game was over, when they choked a 3-0 lead in the series. I understand that you cheer for your local teams and what not, but this dude takes it waaaay over the line sometimes, makes me dislike him for the most part

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I am far FAR from an Edwards fan but in this case I don’t necesaarily disagree. Play should have been blown dead. As others stated he went over the line with his displeasure but that’s what it is with a team broadcast.

On that note, I’m a believer if you’re going to be a national broadcast don’t let the local broadcast team do it.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Is Jack Edwards a regional homer like Joe Bowen, or is he a national broadcaster like Jim Hughson/Bob Cole?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Is Jack Edwards a regional homer like Joe Bowen, or is he a national broadcaster like Jim Hughson/Bob Cole?

Regional. He calls all the Bruins games.

I wonder if his bosses have ever told him to dial it back. If so, it’s not working.

My all time favourite was when he yelled at Roman Hamrlik to get up after he got hit along the boards in the playoffs in 2011.

“Montreal is just trying to draw ridiculous penalties.”

No, dude got hit, so he went down. We see it every game.

Edwards is a goof.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
oh man. lol.

I thought he was a NATIONAL broadcaster.

Then I would totally understand the problem with his broadcasting on that particular video clip.

But he's REGIONAL?

Just like Joe Bowen.. IT'S WHAT THEY DO.

What do you mean Jack Edwards "Needs To Be Stopped" lol...

then so does Joe Bowen, and that Buffalo Sabres guy and so on.. come on, OP, you know better than that.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Many laughs in here, is this guy perfect ? No but I’ve had to listen to your bias commentary too.

Overreacting? Umm I get this from Canadian teams all the time living here. Keep drinking that Kool aid with your blinders on.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
At least his voice isn't as annoying as that guy in Washington. That would really put him over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad