Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If he comes over for next season by some miracle, could be a game changer. That's why I pick a Greiss+ for Howard deal, gives a stop gap before he realistically comes over.

And I think he can be a starter. KHL isn't the AHL, he can do it.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he comes over for next season by some miracle, could be a game changer. That's why I pick a Greiss+ for Howard deal, gives a stop gap before he realistically comes over.

And I think he can be a starter. KHL isn't the AHL, he can do it.

That would be a best case scenario in my opinion.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does anyone know the most realistic scenario that we can get Sorokin over? If not next season, definitely by the season after?

I’ve never got 100% clarification but supposedly there is an NHL buyout clause to his KHL contract. Also, It’s been rumored that Sorokin wants to play in the NHL and not AHL and Snow couldn’t or wouldn’t guarantee him that.

The only thing I know for sure is Sorokin himself stated that he feel 25 is a good age for a goalie to be fully developed and that’s when he would like to most likely come over.

Who knows though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’ve never got 100% clarification but supposedly there is an NHL buyout clause to his KHL contract. Also, It’s been rumored that Sorokin wants to play in the NHL and not AHL and Snow couldn’t or wouldn’t guarantee him that.

The only thing I know for sure is Sorokin himself stated that he feel 25 is a good age for a goalie to be fully developed and that’s when he would like to most likely come over.

Who knows though.

At this point, I'd guarantee his NHL roster status next season. He may not be getting paid like he would in the KHL, he'll be in the NHL. Buyout Greiss if need be, get a veteran to pair him with.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
At this point, I'd guarantee his NHL roster status next season. He may not be getting paid like he would in the KHL, he'll be in the NHL. Buyout Greiss if need be, get a veteran to pair him with.

I agree 100%. We need to see what we have in him. He certainly looks like the real deal.

Someone mentioned Greiss + for Howard. Sorokin being eased into action in that scenario wouldn’t be horrible.

Maybe give Sorokin 25-30 games his first year and go up from there?

Also, I’ll give you one guess where Howard’ went to college. LoL

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I believe there are limits to contract length and amount given his age. If he waits another year or two then he can get paid more. He would likely take a big pay cut to come over now.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
I've watched Sorokin in parts of last five games in KHL playoffs and I think he is as steady as goalie can be. Ofcourse his confidence must be thru the roof letting 5(?) Goals in 9 games in playoffs. But holy hell he is good, and always watches the puck and in my eyes has great rebound control.

Now after the 5OT game, he has faced 50 shots in a game so I think he is ready for Islanders sweater.......

Hopefully our GM calls him right after season and promises NHL duty for next season, and he comes over.

Anyone has any idea how ELC bonus's work? Are they about draft position or something, or can he be given like 1Mil bonus for playing in 20games or something? That should be enough to lure him over..?

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Soderstrom has only played in 53 games over the last 3 seasons in Sweden. I think he is going to need at minimum a full season at the Bridge.

Reactions: SI90

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Random but it's kind of crazy we're still waiting on the fruits of the 2014 draft.

Cancel Dal Colle sure but Ho-Sang, Sorokin, Toews, Soderstrom all have potential to make impacts.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Random but it's kind of crazy we're still waiting on the fruits of the 2014 draft.

Cancel Dal Colle sure but Ho-Sang, Sorokin, Toews, Soderstrom all have potential to make impacts.

Toews was a 4th round pick and overager from college.

He is 24 but I’d say his development has been steady and good. His first pro season was really good and if he didn’t get hurt this year he was on track to have a better season. I also believe if he was healthy he would have been called up before Aho.

Ho-Sang has had success in the NHL offensively. It’s obviously other areas he needs to improve but I think he answered in his short stints in the show that his offensive will and can translate to the NHL.

Dal Colle looked solid to me but he’s been very bland. Nothing horrible but nothing special. He was very skilled in junior and a terrific goal scorer. He hasn’t been that in the AHL and that’s worrisome.

The goalies are a bit different. Goalies are always a crap shoot and take some time. Sorokin is obviously ready for the pros but the KHL snd him making more money over there is the difference.

Soderstrom is making strides. He’s been injured this year but should be in Bridgeport next year.

Sorokin and Soderstrom are in track I’d say for 2 goalies drafted out of Europe.

The biggest disappointment is Dal Colle. You expect a top5 pick to at least be broken innby now or having enough success in the AHL to justify playing in the NHL.

I don’t fault snow too much for that. Dal Colle was one of the most consensus #5 ranked prospects across the boards. He was actually my personal favorite prospect. Maybe it’s an organizational thing with development but who knows?

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ho Sang was noticeably good enough in his first NHL season that he ended up in a NHL 18 commercial. This season he never really got a chance in a scoring role.... he was the only winger that was able to get Nelson going. He managed to be better offensively on a line where both Ladd and Beauvillier bombed on.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
MDC is held back by his skating, but it's mostly between his ears IMO. We've seen skaters worse than him pot 30 goals on this team (Moulson), and Anders Lee isn't exactly Pavel Bure out there either. The difference is both those guys are engaged with the play and pay the price in front of the net, in the corners and live in the dirty areas of the ice where you're likely to see rebounds or loose pucks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t fault snow too much for that. Dal Colle was one of the most consensus #5 ranked prospects across the boards. He was actually my personal favorite prospect. Maybe it’s an organizational thing with development but who knows?

The only minor issue I have with that is, that's why teams have their own individual scouting staffs, so they don't have to just rely on what CS or RedLine or whoever says they should take.

This past draft, Gabe Villardi was supposed to go potentially top 5. But teams passed on him because they were worried about his skating translating. Maybe they end up being wrong to pass on him, but *IF* they end up being correct and Villardi's skating holds him back from ever being a top line player, that's an example of teams' scouting staffs seeing something that scared them off.

Maybe Snow should have been a little leery of Dal Colle's skating. Especially when you have equally talented offensive performers (at that age) in Nylander and Ehlers who can both motor.

I think that often ends up being the difference between good drafting and bad drafting. Often times, there will be a block of like 4 or 5 players who are deemed relatively equal, but maybe one of those guys shows up ahead on most rankings. The good scouting staffs identify which of those 5 they believe project the best and go with it, even if it's a slightly lower ranked player (Isles taking Strome instead of Zbanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, and Hamilton is another prime example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad