Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If he wanted to come over he wouldnt have re-upped for three more years. Islanders cant wait for him. Get a goalie, package him in a deal. No reason to hoard him.

I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with his RFA status. if he waits longer to come over he won't have to wait as long to become a UFA or something. So he'll make more money now and be closer to choosing his own destination, should he not want to play for the Isles.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I expect to see Soderstrom come over and compete for a nyi spot in next season's training camp.
Thats The Plan Snow Suggested Crew.

Sorokin however feels he can make more money in the KHL and told snow he wants an NHL Job before he'll sign. He wants no part of the AHL.

Seems mighty convenient that halaks deal runs out in time or Soderstrom and Greiss runs out the same as Sorokin's. That has to be a coincidence right, Garth couldn't be that smart could he? Some of our fans just wanna hate him to hate him.

It's smart because we still keep their rights but don't hit the 50 contract limit which helps keep us flexible

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Regarding his 3-year term. The Islanders can buyout his contract from the team he is playing for (IF they want).

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Regarding his 3-year term. The Islanders can buyout his contract from the team he is playing for (IF they want).

I don't think they can anymore, it would circumvent the cap. Sorokin would have to do it himself

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Sorokin however feels he can make more money in the KHL and told snow he wants an NHL Job before he'll sign. He wants no part of the AHL.

Seems mighty convenient that halaks deal runs out in time or Soderstrom and Greiss runs out the same as Sorokin's. That has to be a coincidence right, Garth couldn't be that smart could he? Some of our fans just wanna hate him to hate him.

It's smart because we still keep their rights but don't hit the 50 contract limit which helps keep us flexible

Do you think it will be nhl or nothing for Soderstrom? I had hoped if he was not nhl ready, that he would spend a season in Bridgeport.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna

Soderdtroms numbers this year are bad and sorokin has also taken back a cobsiderable step since 2015-2016. if that is our plan it isn‘t a good one.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

The last thing we need to do is rely on another player who hasn't seen an ounce of NHL ice. Goaltenders take longer to develop and we shouldn't rely so much on Soderstrom and put him in the minors. After Halak leaves (which I'm assuming happens after this season), we should sign another goalie for 2 years, kinda like Steve Mason's deal with Winnipeg.

Putting the keys into Greiss and Soderstrom's hands is way too risky.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Do you think it will be nhl or nothing for Soderstrom? I had hoped if he was not nhl ready, that he would spend a season in Bridgeport.
no I think ahl time is possible for soderstrom. i Just Get The Impression That Garth Just Wants Him Playing And Getting Experience. He'll Reevaluate Next Year For Sure.

Sorokin On The Other Hand, is all about the money.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The last thing we need to do is rely on another player who hasn't seen an ounce of NHL ice. Goaltenders take longer to develop and we shouldn't rely so much on Soderstrom and put him in the minors. After Halak leaves (which I'm assuming happens after this season), we should sign another goalie for 2 years, kinda like Steve Mason's deal with Winnipeg.

Putting the keys into Greiss and Soderstrom's hands is way too risky.
there's always risk hosang. Either way. That's why he wants them playing. The more data the better but in an ideal world he's like them to force their way in the roster

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How do you know that? The inside Islander info?
Just what former isles tell me. Its not like im inside The Building anymore. Even when I was I was just a go-fer. But even with that I still have friends who know I'm not a Mary Jane or a fan boy. I stay in touch and we laugh about the old days mostly but you'd be surprised how clued in they are. That the thing with them. Once an islander always an islander. I'm an old man now but to them im still the kid they knew and if they saw me I know they'd say go get me a pepsi.....

And id get it too old habits die hard. It's why I defend everything Islanders. They changed my life. the key is not to ask questions just let them talk. The most I ever say is they look good this year dontcha think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Just what former isles tell me. Its not like im inside The Building anymore. Even when I was I was just a go-fer. But even with that I still have friends who know I'm not a Mary Jane or a fan boy. I stay in touch and we laugh about the old days mostly but you'd be surprised how clued in they are. That the thing with them. Once an islander always an islander. I'm an old man now but to them in still the kid they knew and if they saw me I know they'd say go get me a pepsi

Hmmm. "Former Isles."

So what you are saying, Garth Snow, who if he does one thing well is keeps things quiet, has through channels let you know that Sorokin wants money (pretty sure it is an NHL roster spot)? So Staple, all hockey writers/insiders, Mike freaking Bossy know nothing about the internal workings....but you do!!!

We are so lucky on these boards to have you provide the inside information

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Anyone so sure about Soderstrom easily transitioning over to North America quickly and easily should read up on the relationship he has with his team and goalie coach and how they've gone out of his way to accommodate his needs. I'm not saying it can't happen, but there's more to it than learning a new language and getting a work visa.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Anyone so sure about Soderstrom easily transitioning over to North America quickly and easily should read up on the relationship he has with his team and goalie coach and how they've gone out of his way to accommodate his needs. I'm not saying it can't happen, but there's more to it than learning a new language and getting a work visa.

Thank you. I feel people are too PC to say what the ultimate issue is. Kudos to Garth for taking a chance, but he is far far far from a sure thing to even step foot here

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Thank you. I feel people are too PC to say what the ultimate issue is. Kudos to Garth for taking a chance, but he is far far far from a sure thing to even step foot here

By all accounts he's made significant strides in his playing career, which is quite impressive at the level he's on. But for him to flourish in an environment outside of his comfort zone, he's going to need a lot of support. I'm pulling for him.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
By all accounts he's made significant strides in his playing career, which is quite impressive at the level he's on. But for him to flourish in an environment outside of his comfort zone, he's going to need a lot of support. I'm pulling for him?

I'm completely pulling for him. I've never experienced what he has to push through. But I have read a few times that it is a bit of a challenge for coaching. I want him to be out goalie for the next 10 years. From what I read, I'm not entirely sure he is our goalie for even one year

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Hmmm. "Former Isles."

So what you are saying, Garth Snow, who if he does one thing well is keeps things quiet, has through channels let you know that Sorokin wants money (pretty sure it is an NHL roster spot)? So Staple, all hockey writers/insiders, Mike freaking Bossy know nothing about the internal workings....but you do!!!

We are so lucky on these boards to have you provide the inside information
Of Course, they know More. but why would i doubt guys i Know For most Of Of My Adult life.

Thats Silly

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Of Course, they know More. but why would i doubt guys i Know For most Of Of My Adult life.

Thats Silly

Ah yes. I'm only 36. Why would I know better? 3 kids, house on the North shore, but you know best.

If I play golf with Cal Clutterbuck again next week at Plandome, I'll make sure to tell him he knows nothing. 72Hockeyguy is my new source!

Reactions: 72hockey guy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I remember the gossip about how someone at a BBQ years ago heard how much Doug Weight hated Nino way before all the drama started with him. Oh wait, I only knew that because I had insider info from being a mod. :sarcasm:
Exactly PW. You get A feeling who you can believe. I Guess they could be Laughing and Playing me a fool. But why. What Do they Gain?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ah yes. I'm only 36. Why would I know better? 3 kids, house on the North shore, but you know best.

If I play golf with Cal Clutterbuck again next week at Plandome, I'll make sure to tell him he knows nothing. 72Hockeyguy is my new source!

'You know nothing, Jon Snow.'

Make sure you say it exactly that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad