Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Gosh - The higher the pick the more the GM is responsible for it. Please don't be firing the head scout without firing the guy who has final say over who in fact gets drafted in the top 10.
Spot on. Klatt just another FOS (friend of Snow). They were suite mates back with the Nucks. Miserable way to hire.

Reactions: periferal

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Really? I have not seen Bellows in action, but from draft day articles I thought he was projected to be a scoring sniper?
I did not think he would be the type to park himself in front of the net and paying the physical price.
He's a bit of both. He drives to the net hard and plays a power game. He's usually around the net on power plays looking for tip-ins or rebounds to clean up. He also has a really hard shot and a quick release, so he can snipe it too.

The one thing Kieffer has head and shoulders over Dal Colle is drive and tenacity. He plays with an edge and you don't need to worry about his work ethic. His skating is also not a concern. I really don't have any doubts about his ability to have an NHL career, he has pro written all over him.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Mirageas stats stand out a bit. Anyone have any additional info on him?

Here is a scouting report: https://thehockeywriters.com/ben-mirageas-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Strengths

• Skating
  • Size
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Maintaining poise
  • Vision
NHL Potential

NHL coaches gain confidence in young blueliners who consistently make the “safe play” and limit miscues. Mirageas will need to work hard on his game over the next few seasons, but insiders contend he will develop into a top-6 defenseman.

Risk-Reward Analysis
  • Risk – 3/5, Reward 4/5
Fantasy Hockey Potential
  • Offense – 7/10, Defense – 7/10

Reactions: Bronson

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Did Toews score a bunch of goals last week? Wasn't he 0 goals and 7 assists the previous update?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He's a bit of both. He drives to the net hard and plays a power game. He's usually around the net on power plays looking for tip-ins or rebounds to clean up. He also has a really hard shot and a quick release, so he can snipe it too.

The one thing Kieffer has head and shoulders over Dal Colle is drive and tenacity. He plays with an edge and you don't need to worry about his work ethic. His skating is also not a concern. I really don't have any doubts about his ability to have an NHL career, he has pro written all over him.
I appreciate the scouting report.Thanks.

I have read Bellows is determined to make next season's roster.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I appreciate the scouting report.Thanks.

I have read Bellows is determined to make next season's roster.
I think he would benefit from a year in the AHL. I don't see him taking a top 9 position next season and with Lee, Ladd, and Nelson ahead on the depth chart he'd be relegated to 4th line minutes. That would not be a good role for him, although he could crash and bang with Cizikas and Butterstuff. I think everyone would benefit most if he spent a year in the AHL prior to joining the Islanders.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah thanks for the scouting report. We don’t have many snipers w an edge; I guess you could call Ladd one. But we can do better.

How does he compare to fellow WHL ‘power forward’ Nino? I think he’s projected to score more goals.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Man that nino for clutterbuck trade still bothers me. I went pretty crazy on hf when that trade was made
Just think, we could've came away with Clutterbuck and Buchnevich. THAT's what pissed me off about that trade, if you can come away with someone almost as good a prospect as Nino (or may surpass him) AND Clutterbuck, that's who you select. Would've been a definite win. Instead they picked Macadam (the goalie). So you wind up with Macadam and Clutter for Nino.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Garth has made some good trades and bad ones. I praised him for the Reinhart trade even before I knew anything about Barzal. Now that trade looks like a huge steal. The Nino trade bothered me at the time a lot as I thought it was really bad value for a top 5 pick and someone who had a really good season in the AHL.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I've forgotten about it for the most part. When I watched Nino score against the devils last night it brought back bad memories lol

I know it does stink looking back at it but whatever Anders Lee turned out to be our Nino, and he scores more....i guess it would be awesome to have both.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I know it does stink looking back at it but whatever Anders Lee turned out to be our Nino, and he scores more....i guess it would be awesome to have both.
Could not disagree more, that getting a crap return for Nino is okay because we have Lee.
That top 5 pick was a wasted asset.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah its time to move on. This gets brought up way too often. Nino may never of had the same success here.

Every person in America builds a resume with their actions at their respective job. To ignore how snow handled the Nino situation across the board is to ignore what other blunders he could make going forward.

I'll forget about the Nino situation when snow is gone and I don't have to worry about him doing something similar the keeps the Cup always out of reach.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Wasn't there a rumor of Nino + being dealt to Vancouver for Cory Schneider floating around one time? See that would've been acceptable.

Yes but I believe Vancouver wanted Nino and a 1st or something like that. Snow wanted to do a one for one (like how the deal turned out to be).

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Just think, we could've came away with Clutterbuck and Buchnevich. THAT's what pissed me off about that trade, if you can come away with someone almost as good a prospect as Nino (or may surpass him) AND Clutterbuck, that's who you select. Would've been a definite win. Instead they picked Macadam (the goalie). So you wind up with Macadam and Clutter for Nino.
Didn't they also spend another third rounder on taylor cammarata that year? bad 3rd round while there was lots of talent available.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Has anyone see Kieffer play? If so, can they summarize what they've seen from him?

I always seemed intrigued by him, but his skating concerned me, similar to Dal Colle.

Yes, he had a very disappointing year in the NCAA so it was a smart move for him to get the heck out of there and get more ice time in the WHL. Bellows is a bull with a sick release wrister and good hands in tight. He would be a perfect fit alongside Barzal as he loves to shoot the puck from anywhere and often. He's averaging 5 shots on goal per game this year in Portland. Not a very creative player, but has good hockey IQ and is definitely not passive like Dal Colle. Niederreiter would be a good comparison IMO.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Yeah. Move on from Nino already. A lot of water under the bridge since 2013.
Should the organization have done more in recognizing a future star? Sure given where they were during their rebuild. but remember, the kid played 55 games, had 1 goal -29 on the 4th line and struggled to fit. Its not like they traded Pat Lafontaine

I think the organization learned from this mistake with how they handle their prospects. Neiderreiter needed more playing time with top 6 players.

Prime example is taking it slow with Barzal last season returning him to the Juniors and easing Ho Sang along here and not dumping them on the 4th line too early.

They got a serviceable player and team leader in Cal Clutterback that fills a role of leading the team in hits, which is severely lacking here.

Yes, they lost the trade, a hundred times but won many others if all you are here to do is continue to blame Snow for all your happiness. I am sure that not one player in that lockerroom is worried about the Nino Neiderreiter trade back in 2013. The organization is trying to establish a new Path.

Many of us as fans haven't forgotten, but have moved on.

Watch how Ho Sang, Dal Colle, Bellows etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad