Pre-Game Talk: Isles @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You think a regular season game in January is going to have an impact on his retirement-contract decision, or management's decision to offer him said contract? Matthews talking to him over the weekend is probably more likely to change his mind.

That's Hockey yesterday was reporting that Matthews talked to Drew Doughty and jokingly asked him if he was coming to Toronto at the all-star weekend.

No mention of JT.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That's Hockey yesterday was reporting that Matthews talked to Drew Doughty and jokingly asked him if he was coming to Toronto at the all-star weekend.

No mention of JT.
JT was also mentioned in a tweet over the weekend - Or maybe that was Karlsson.

Either way, my main point was that I doubt Tavares is looking at this game on his calendar and saying, "Alright, this is the one that decides my next 7/8 years..."

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Wow...a game where our best available players actually play...

I actually agree that Babs has known his best players all along, but because we're in a great spot, he had a chance to push alternative motives.

Reactions: iSophagus

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Those are the defensive pairings I would go with too (without Rielly obviously). Great D pairings Babs!

Babcock may be finally starting to see the light.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Some fans don't understand that Babs knows what he is doing because they want instant gratification. To me he can be the difference in a 7 game series.
he can be the difference in either a good way or a bad way. taking too long to make obvious changes is an example of a bad impact he could have

Reactions: Morgs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JT was also mentioned in a tweet over the weekend - Or maybe that was Karlsson.

Either way, my main point was that I doubt Tavares is looking at this game on his calendar and saying, "Alright, this is the one that decides my next 7/8 years..."

I bet because this is JT home and favourite team growing up that he circles these games at ACC on his calendar and looks forward to coming home.

A Matthews and JT 1-2 punch would be among the best combos in the league.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I bet because this is JT home and favourite team growing up that he circles these games at ACC on his calendar and looks forward to coming home.

A Matthews and JT 1-2 punch would be among the best combos in the league.
Both of these statements are likely true - They also have nothing to do with one another.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
this should be a sloppy game. They might be tired and we'll be rusty. We're the more talented and deep team so I assume we'll win this one

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Love these lines, love these pairings, can't wait for the game tomorrow!
Please play good leafs, let's move forward with this style line-up and not allow any room to go back to the slower, less skilled one.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Well on the 2nd point ..

Let the recruiting begin with a strong Leafs showing against JT current team. :)

Tavares doesn't need a regular season game against us in January to tell him anything about where we're projecting. If he signs with us it's because he wants to - and whether or not he'll want to would likely be determined by his emotional attachment to the team from his youth, as well as a combination of our projected status as future perennial Contenders and our ability to offer him a worth-while contract.
This one game isn't changing anyone's mind.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Tavares doesn't need a regular season game against us in January to tell him anything about where we're projecting. If he signs with us it's because he wants to - and whether or not he'll want to would likely be determined by his emotional attachment to the team from his youth, as well as a combination of our projected status as future perennial Contenders and our ability to offer him a worth-while contract.
This one game isn't changing anyone's mind.

Honestly we won't be able to outbid Montreal, so unless he wants to come here I really doubt he does. Montreal is just going to back a brinks truck up to his house at this point.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Honestly we won't be able to outbid Montreal, so unless he wants to come here I really doubt he does. Montreal is just going to back a brinks truck up to his house at this point.
The actual plausibility of Tavares coming here is a completely different discussion altogether, and one I certainly wouldn't get very seriously involved in - These guys are already millionaires, and often times I think are just looking to live their best, most comfortable lives, whatever that means to them. For some, they'll take less money to spend their Winter days hanging out by the beach; Others are looking for the best opportunity to win (A quote you could attribute to pretty much every pending UFA from the beginning of UFAs to today); Others are in it for the biggest pay-day; And others are just looking to be close to home while playing a sport they love.
UFAs like Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, etc. don't come around very often, and have the opportunity to go almost anywhere in the League - They have lots of reasons for choosing the destinations they choose. The outcome of a regular season game has to be one of the lowest possible reasons on that list.

member 262271

Gonna be a barnburner of a game I can feel it! I do think that once Zaits is healthy Polak will rotate out from time to time, at least that's what Babcock had done previous. We shall see.

Oh hey I just saw the lineup. Woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad