Pre-Game Talk: Isles @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Now that I think about it I have a feeling that they will s md dermott down to play big mins while Borgman will stay up and get his sheltered mins with Polak
Carrick sits in the pressbox.

Why?
Well Dermott was good enough to crack the opening night line up but they decided to send him down and play big mins; looks like they will do that again once we are healthy.

Would we be icing the best line up possible with Kappy and Dermott in the minors? Nope!

But I have a feeling that’s what’s going to happen and tick me off big time!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
i'm holding onto the idea that Polak is only playing to take Zaitsev's pk role, and once he's back Polak will be gone

Before Babcock was running

Hainsey Reilly
Gards Zaitsev
Borgman Carrick

Given polak’s PK responsibilities and that Carrick/Borgman don’t kill penalties or play on PP; Polak will replace Carrick not to mention the gud-pro criterion and the vets get the tie

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Before Babcock was running

Hainsey Reilly
Gards Zaitsev
Borgman Carrick

Given polak’s PK responsibilities and that Carrick/Borgman don’t kill penalties or play on PP; Polak will replace Carrick not to mention the gud-pro criterion and the vets get the tie
Dermott can PK as a relief guy though. I hope Babcock figures it out

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
With how well Gardiner and Hainsey did together in very hard usage I'd like to see Rielly and Z paired again for a game or two.
Id like to ease both of them in with other partners to get the legs back and shake the rust

Gardiner-Hainsey
Rielly-Carrick/Borgmann
Dermott-Zeitsev

And eventually deadine brings us a gift

Rielly-(Johnson/Seabrook/Tanev)
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zeitsev

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
My guess is that dermott is sent down to play big mins while Borg gets sheltered mins.

I doubt dermott is going to be trusted by Babs to PK yet

No Dermott is going to stay, book it!

Borgman can use some instruction / refinement and will be back. Polak becomes replaceable once Zaits gets back to game shape and Mo is back.

Both Dermott and Kappy will play against the Islanders!!

Reactions: taurine330

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No Dermott is going to stay, book it!

Borgman can use some instruction / refinement and will be back. Polak becomes replaceable once Zaits gets back to game shape and Mo is back.

Both Dermott and Kappy will play against the Islanders!!

I hope you are right. Dermott outplayed his competition during pre-season and was still sent down so am not sure how management is going to call this one

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah I have to think Borgman goes down. He's the only other waiver eligible D, and Dermott has outplayed him in this stint. Granted, Borgman has had great moments and has endured some ups and downs over a longer period. Still Dermott has shown the ability to handle more minutes than Borgman has done at any point this season.

Dermott-Polak is a decent third pairing .. Mostly because of Dermott.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I hope you are right. Dermott outplayed his competition during pre-season and was still sent down so am not sure how management is going to call this one

me too! I like the overripe analogy!

Borgy is a NHL caliber player but spending some time with big mins in the AHL can only help and I think management has these kids believing in the long term vision!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
me too! I like the overripe analogy!

Borgy is a NHL caliber player but spending some time with big mins in the AHL can only help and I think management has these kids believing in the long term vision!

I hope so man. Long term vision is imperative!!!

No more short cuts!

Reactions: 54thecup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting that Martin is taking a spot over Leivo.

Is Leivo here or is he still away on personal leave?

If sosh gets healthy and comes off of IR then Kappy is going down with Borg.

When healthy
Your normal 20 man squad on ice;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore-Komarov

Rielly Hainsey
Gards Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

Leivo, Carrick, Sosh

Unless moves are made the 23 man roster is set.

Lou needs to address this and soon.

With Kappy being called up it seems sosh is still not ready to play.

He was taking reps in the lines as per Shilton. She tweeted after that she just forgot to include his name.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah I have to think Borgman goes down. He's the only other waiver eligible D, and Dermott has outplayed him in this stint. Granted, Borgman has had great moments and has endured some ups and downs over a longer period. Still Dermott has shown the ability to handle more minutes than Borgman has done at any point this season.

Dermott-Polak is a decent third pairing .. Mostly because of Dermott.

I saw some numbers the other day that we're pretty glaring when Dermott plays with either Polak or Carrick, it wasn't good for Polak but it didn't have QOC or ZS% with it though

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It’s quite silly that we’re talking about potentially sending down Dermott or Borgman when we have Roman Polak in our lineup.

Reactions: Erdinger

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mayne, getting zaitsev back (per tsn) Is trump huge for our rear ends. We back in this snitch ditch! Y'all heard me, we rule the hockey world with OUR own talent. We got the guns, the D now, the Goalie. We got that twerk that iches.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
By now I think it's obvious that Gaulthier (sadly) is not an NHL player and Leivo can maybe be a 13th forward, they shouldn't waste much time with Leivo anymore.

Would be amazing to have Zaitsev back with Gardiner, Hainsey and Rielly. And Dermott with Carrick on the third pair.

Carrick has been playing a bit better when partnered with Dermott.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that if Martin is taking reps it's to bump Moore out of the lineup once and for all . Martin, Komi, Kappy works for me till Sosh is ready .

On the waiver note it looks like Borgy was down to 30 games left on Jan 8 so it might not be a bad idea to bury him for a couple of months to buy us some time next year .

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that if Martin is taking reps it's to bump Moore out of the lineup once and for all . Martin, Komi, Kappy works for me till Sosh is ready .

On the waiver note it looks like Borgy was down to 30 games left on Jan 8 so it might not be a bad idea to bury him for a couple of months to buy us some time next year .

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad