Pre-Game Talk: Isles @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's do our part to keep the Isles and JT out of the playoffs.

JT’S BIG DECISION

There was a lot of recruiting going on behind the scenes at All-Star Weekend – players talking amongst themselves with trade and free agent pitches. Few players would’ve heard more of that in Tampa than John Tavares, who is rapidly approaching becoming the biggest ticket at the Free Agent Frenzy in years. Tavares reiterated this weekend “I want to play for a team that’s doing everything it can to win.” The Islanders are outside of the playoff picture. Tavares has reportedly not yet discussed terms on an extension with the Isles, who desperately want to re-sign the face of their franchise. Their arena situation in Belmont is finally settled, but the belief is Tavares wants to also see a commitment to keep fellow free agent teammates Josh Bailey, RFA Brock Nelson and eventually Anders Lee in the fold.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Fix it Lou.

Also, looks like Martin is, at this time, sitting out again.

Keeping Marner with Kadri is key. Waivers, etc will unfortunately determine everything else.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Let's do our part to keep the Isles and JT out of the playoffs.

JT’S BIG DECISION

There was a lot of recruiting going on behind the scenes at All-Star Weekend – players talking amongst themselves with trade and free agent pitches. Few players would’ve heard more of that in Tampa than John Tavares, who is rapidly approaching becoming the biggest ticket at the Free Agent Frenzy in years. Tavares reiterated this weekend “I want to play for a team that’s doing everything it can to win.” The Islanders are outside of the playoff picture. Tavares has reportedly not yet discussed terms on an extension with the Isles, who desperately want to re-sign the face of their franchise. Their arena situation in Belmont is finally settled, but the belief is Tavares wants to also see a commitment to keep fellow free agent teammates Josh Bailey, RFA Brock Nelson and eventually Anders Lee in the fold.

You're really thinking this could happen huh ? :)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Still hoping they make a trade of some kind. We got Lamoriello after all, right?

Buying or selling? We're all full up at forward and when Rielly and Zaitsev get back we've got plenty of bodies on the backend as well

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So would I but we need a certain sort of player (young Hainsey) and who's available?

It's not an easy hole to fill
yeah but I think we have a good surplus of talent. Our best RHD is a 36 year old who shoots left. it's really not good enough, as much as I love Hainsey

Pesce, Manson, Parayko, Faulk are some possible targets. not sure how we'd get them though

Reactions: 54thecup

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeah but I think we have a good surplus of talent. Our best RHD is a 36 year old who shoots left. it's really not good enough, as much as I love Hainsey

Pesce, Manson, Parayko, Faulk are some possible targets. not sure how we'd get them though

We won't, those teams won't move those guys

There's just nobody available that fits the bill (that's been rumored anyway)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Buying or selling? We're all full up at forward and when Rielly and Zaitsev get back we've got plenty of bodies on the backend as well

Either or? The logjam is real to me. Somethings gotta give and I'd like to think that waiving a couple players isn't a good idea or sending down Kapanen and/or Dermott shouldn't be going down.

Package something, get a pick or whatever maybe... I don't know.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Did anyone else notice and wonder why Leivo isn't even practicing on any line? Everyone else was subbed into one of the lines.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Well Dermott has to stay with 44 and 22 out. But he does deserve permanent roster spot. I have a feeling Kapenen has one now. If he can show consistency this week, and build on last week he stays.

The initial calling up I feel was for final eval of who to keep/trade. Leivo has punched his ticket out...not going to fit. He is simply too slow..and for a guy who is itching to play sure never showed much intensity. Conversely Kap has..his speed kills and he hits now bringing a different element to his game. I remember Babs saying earlier this yr...he is bigger stronger..sure looks like an NHL player to me. He never once tooted Leivos horn like that. All he ever said was..hes a good player has to take a job..nothing more.

As for this game...if we contain Barzal and Tavares/Bailey we win. They give up a ton of GA. Could get ugly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Either or? The logjam is real to me. Somethings gotta give and I'd like to think that waiving a couple players isn't a good idea or sending down Kapanen and/or Dermott shouldn't be going down.

Package something, get a pick or whatever maybe... I don't know.

Sending guys to the Marlies that deserve to stay up hasn't exactly worried them yet

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'd risk Leivo on waivers at this point..
And send Borgman down for a stint when Rielly comes back. Just till the next injury hits.

This is assuming polak stays..

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Fix it Lou.

Also, looks like Martin is, at this time, sitting out again.

Interesting that Martin is taking a spot over Leivo.

Is Leivo here or is he still away on personal leave?

If sosh gets healthy and comes off of IR then Kappy is going down with Borg.

When healthy
Your normal 20 man squad on ice;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore-Komarov

Rielly Hainsey
Gards Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

Leivo, Carrick, Sosh

Unless moves are made the 23 man roster is set.

Lou needs to address this and soon.

With Kappy being called up it seems sosh is still not ready to play.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Leivo - Komarov - Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Dermott
Borgman - Zaitsev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad