Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Agreed. Hopefully our GM can sell another team on him being large and having a great shot, and get something on value in return.

Next offseason is going to be wild:

• Tavares situation (if still unsigned)
  • Bailey a UFA
  • De Haan a UFA
  • Nelson an RFA
  • Halak a UFA
  • Quine/Prince RFA's
  • Chimera gone
  • Kulemin gone
  • Seidenberg gone
  • Hickey gone
  • About 35 million in cap space opening up
  • Two first round picks in a great draft
  • And the Belmont situation hanging over the franchise

Even if JT and Bailey are resigned, most likely need to add 2 forwards at at least 2 defenseman, but once again not a good crop of free agents.

Don't forget a goalie...

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
If Habs continue to struggle would like to see cost of Galchenyuk if he is indeed on the block. He's a slightly better Nelson imo who is on a decent contract 4.9M AAV

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
No, another smallish defense man that has bad similar bad possession #'s like Quincey

Defense man we need is a crease clearer, we have enough puck moving d men.

Just kidding about Ness...

Agree about the type of D we need, hence I'm not keen on OEL...

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Just kidding about Ness...

Agree about the type of D we need, hence I'm not keen on OEL...
I'd be fine with OEL here. In fact I think he would thrive, would instantly become the #3 and add another dimension to our already dynamic style of play this yr. Depends on cost though

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
If Habs continue to struggle would like to see cost of Galchenyuk if he is indeed on the block. He's a slightly better Nelson imo who is on a decent contract 4.9M AAV

If Snow goes looking for a forward, I'd prefer Pacioretty...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think moving Cizikas up to that third line would solve a lot of problems, granted they trade for a solid defensive minded 4th line C that can take faceoffs and PK (Brad Richardson). JHS needs a shooter to pass to that will go into the dirty areas, he also needs someone with defensive responsibility that can dig in the corners.

Reactions: Strummergas

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think moving Cizikas up to that third line would solve a lot of problems, granted they trade for a solid defensive minded 4th line C that can take faceoffs and PK (Brad Richardson). JHS needs a shooter to pass to that will go into the dirty areas, he also needs someone with defensive responsibility that can dig in the corners.

3rd Line - Nelson/Cizikas/JHS
4th line - Beau/Quine/Clutter

Hot dog eaters: Prince, Chimera and Hickey

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Defense man we need is a crease clearer, we have enough puck moving d men.

Is there even such thing as a "crease clearer" any more? I get what you're saying, but that concept seems like an anachronism. I'd much rather have Larsson, who's a #1 defenseman in this league, than a "defensive defenseman" who's a black hole offensively. They already have Pelech.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Agreed. Hopefully our GM can sell another team on him being large and having a great shot, and get something on value in return.

Next offseason is going to be wild:

• Tavares situation (if still unsigned)
  • Bailey a UFA
  • De Haan a UFA
  • Nelson an RFA
  • Halak a UFA
  • Quine/Prince RFA's
  • Chimera gone
  • Kulemin gone
  • Seidenberg gone
  • Hickey gone
  • About 35 million in cap space opening up
  • Two first round picks in a great draft
  • And the Belmont situation hanging over the franchise

Even if JT and Bailey are resigned, most likely need to add 2 forwards at at least 2 defenseman, but once again not a good crop of free agents.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC

Provided the Islanders can sign Tavares if Belmont looks like it's happening:

-Bailey stays for around $5 million a year. Finishes his career with the Islanders and JT.
-de Haan goes in favor of Mayfield who would be a cheap sign. Toews/Aho round out the defense on entry levels with the hope one of them can replicate CdH's success.
-Nelson is obviously not going to be qualified
-Halak, no chance
-Quine/Prince, see ya
-Chimera, Seidenberg, and Kulemin are done
-Hickey would be an easy resign in a 6/7 slot -- getting a seat upstairs on a winning team isn't good for contract negotiations, although I do love myself some Thomas Hickey.

This all said if the Islanders make a major impact in the Eastern Conference playoffs, which I think the could, all this can change.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
-Nelson is obviously not going to be qualified

I understand the hate for Nelson but to think they won't qualify a consistent 20 goal scorer is ridiculous. My guess though is he gets traded whether it be as part of a package for something bigger or a draft pick. Somebody will bite(my take is if you are a team looking for a top 6 LW I would take a chance, he generally impresses me at international tournaments when he is on the wing)

-Quine/Prince, see ya

If the Islanders are going to hand out big bucks to Tavares and Bailey, they will need some roster players making under 1M

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I understand the hate for Nelson but to think they won't qualify a consistent 20 goal scorer is ridiculous. My guess though is he gets traded whether it be as part of a package for something bigger or a draft pick. Somebody will bite(my take is if you are a team looking for a top 6 LW I would take a chance, he generally impresses me at international tournaments when he is on the wing)

If the Islanders are going to hand out big bucks to Tavares and Bailey, they will need some roster players making under 1M

Was going to say the same thing. Nelson is far from a fan favorite but it would be idiotic to not qualify him. He's easy to trade if the Isles don't want him that badly, but it's really just fans that don't like him....mostly for the same reasons they didn't like Bailey and look what happened there!

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wasn't going to say the same thing. Nelson is far from a fan favorite but it would be idiotic to not qualify him. He's easy to trade if the Isles don't want him that badly, but it's really just fans that don't like him....mostly for the same reasons they didn't like Bailey and look what happened there!

While it's nice having "the best 4th line" in hockey I personally think it's time we don't spend 8-10M to have it that way. Cizikas needs to be moved to 3rd line center(I believe he has enough offense ability to get 40 points with the right linemates) and we need to downsize our 4th line salary(which is where Quine and Prince may fit in but I am open to any guys making under 1M)

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
While it's nice having "the best 4th line" in hockey I personally think it's time we don't spend 8-10M to have it that way. Cizikas needs to be moved to 3rd line center(I believe he has enough offense ability to get 40 points with the right linemates) and we need to downsize our 4th line salary(which is where Quine and Prince may fit in but I am open to any guys making under 1M)

Had to edit, I mean I was going to say the same thing. And I totally agree about the 4th line. To be honest the only reason us fans were so enamored with the fourth line is because it was the only other line fun to watch. Now that we have Barzal driving a second line and on many nights being better than Tavares, this miraculous 4th line isn't such a requirement. I don't see how we would move any salaries off of there though. Kulemin is gone, at least. Or if he comes back it would be for much cheaper. Not much we can do with Cal. I think that 4th line just needs to run its course. Certainly Cizikas can be a capable third line center. Beauvillier will be that way eventually as well. It's a lot of good choices to have. It's tough to say. In this day and age depth is so important and while it appears we have that on the defensive front, i'm not so sure we want to be a call up away from MDC, Bernier, or Johnston. I have a feeling if someone doesn't get "suddenly injured" we'll be looking at Beau or JHS back in the Bridge for a spell to make room for Prince. That 4th line won't be very competitive anymore, but if it makes our third line more effective i'm all for it. Give the 4th line less responsibility like most teams do. It's been a luxury to have them be this good for this long, that's for sure.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
What about Carlson from the Caps???

If they fall out of the hunt, he might be available...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Larsson is a #1?

I think so. He's been stuck on a god awful team for years now, yet has consistently produced outstanding advanced and standard stats. Last year he wasn't as good, but he's bounced back. I'd imagine that he'd be even more productive on a team where there's forwards that can actually score. He can fill the net like very few from the blueline. He's unquestionably, in my mind, a top 20 defenseman in the game. Someone said he'd be the #3 on this team? That's crazy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad