Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
"Pierre McGuire would be shocked if Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty and Oliver Ekman-Larsson go to the open market.
Speaking with TSN 1200 Ottawa, McGuire says even if Ekman-Larsson gets traded, he's not going to a team as a rental and would sign a big deal."
I not sure about Karlsson being in Ottawa longterm. He is saying he is getting paid what he is worth on his new contract.
The Sens have an internal budget.
Does not sound like EK is giving a team discount.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I really think Mike Green is the logical play here. I think going for a 1/2 d-man is shooting for the stars

Completely agree.

I remember when I saw Konk first mention it, I like the idea. He should come relatively cheap as long as Detroit is willing to sell.

That means no more Hickey and no more anxiety over playing too many kids on the backline.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Completely agree.

I remember when I saw Konk first mention it, I like the idea. He should come relatively cheap as long as Detroit is willing to sell.

That means no more Hickey and no more anxiety over playing too many kids on the backline.

Thank you. Obviously he is not Mike Green from 5 years ago, but he can QB the PP, knows when to pinch. I think he would be a perfect fit to play with de haan, but thats me

Reactions: IODCPiper

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thank you. Obviously he is not Mike Green from 5 years ago, but he can QB the PP, knows when to pinch. I think he would be a perfect fit to play with de haan, but thats me

On de Haan, I am going to be sick to my stomach when he's gone. He is so underrated. I know I'm biased because I've been a big booster of his from the get go... I'd like to see him retained. It looks like he's a goner after the season when you read the tea leaves though.

As for Green, the 2 2nds mentioned before seems about right. We could throw in one of our young d-men if we need to, but would rather not.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
On de Haan, I am going to be sick to my stomach when he's gone. He is so underrated. I know I'm biased because I've been a big booster of his from the get go... I'd like to see him retained. It looks like he's a goner after the season when you read the tea leaves though.

As for Green, the 2 2nds mentioned before seems about right. We could throw in one of our young d-men if we need to, but would rather not.

Green would be a solid option, but I wouldn't give up both 2nds for him...
If Snow doesn't make a huge move this season, I'd prefer he keeps as many picks as possible and hopefully does something in the summer...

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
If Snow doesn't make a huge move this season, I'd prefer he keeps as many picks as possible and hopefully do something in the summer...

The only reason why I would....is I think Mike Green...if Isles make a run....signs a 2 year deal, at a relatively decent price. He has a ton of miles on him, and may soften the blow if de haan runs

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Snow doesn't make a huge move this season, I'd prefer he keeps as many picks as possible and hopefully do something in the summer...

I get where you're coming from, but I am totally ok with giving up 2nd rounders. Considering that the 2nds will be in the mid round, it's not a major price to pay for a rental. I'd rather keep the 1sts for sure.

In my other post when referring to our 'young d-men', I was referring to the Bridgeport crew. I'm not parting with any of the advanced kids that are on the NHL roster - Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
How about Green for a 2nd & Hickey, and if he re signs with us before July 1st, they can get the 2019 2nd also...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
How about Green for a 2nd & Hickey, and if he re signs with us before July 1st, they can get the 2019 2nd also...

Watched Detroit last night, they are horrible, Montreal is alive again they stomped on them. Six losses in a row... Green is not the same, he will make Hickey like mistakes... but then again Detroit coach is poor...

I think we need a smart defensive defenseman... like Vlasic... of which they are hard to find

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the price is going to be high for the return on this guy, we need a specific player, think Seids at 28-32.... that gets Seids and the Mouse off the ice

Look around the league, I'm not seeing anyone of your description being available. I know we talk about OEL, that price is going to be sky high.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Look around the league, I'm not seeing anyone of your description being available. I know we talk about OEL, that price is going to be sky high.

I don't think that type of player is available as they are very scarce these days, Vlasic would be the right player but San Jose has gotten much better since we beat them twice... so is there a poor man's Vlasic out there... Problem is that for a long stretch the only 3 teams that will be sellers will be Buffalo, Arizona and Florida

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think that type of player is available as they are very scarce these days, Vlasic would be the right player but San Jose has gotten much better since we beat them twice... so is there a poor man's Vlasic out there... Problem is that for a long stretch the only 3 teams that will be sellers will be Buffalo, Arizona and Florida

I guess we'll get a clearer picture deeper into the season.

Reactions: Strummergas

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Well, I've had enough enough of the goalie situation...
Unfortunately, the best soon to be UFA is Ward...

Also a possibility might be Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Talbot, Mason, Miller...

Not very attractive, but might be necessary...

As far as a long term solution, Grubauer is the best bet as the Caps have Samsonov in the system...

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Watched Detroit last night, they are horrible, Montreal is alive again they stomped on them. Six losses in a row... Green is not the same, he will make Hickey like mistakes... but then again Detroit coach is poor...

I think we need a smart defensive defenseman... like Vlasic... of which they are hard to find

I am reading that the isles front office, coaches and players all seem sure Tavares will stay.
Let's say they are right and he gets around $11m per.Barzal will likely use the overpayment on Drai"s 2nd pro contract and get $7.5m- $8.5m per.

With Karlssom/OEL/Doughty all scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency in July 2019, will the isles be in position to offer $10.5- $11m per?

Keep in mind we will need to pay Leddy in a few seasons.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Any reason they can't bring up Steve Bernier and give him a shot before trading assets away? He is a hard worker with NHL experience. Was a decent bottom 6 forward for the Devs. for a few years.
Because isles should be going for it vs what they usually do. This team needs a solid upgrade. Us fans need to expect more then what we have seen for the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad