Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Nelson came up in the trade forum and Winnipeg fans seem to be catching on that we don't want him. The way we talk about him, you would expect him to return a bottom pair d-man, not someone like Myers, and I don't think a second rounder really balances it out.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Oh, yeah sure I'll agree with that. But I think he's been really good this year, he's playing like he did in 2014-15. Doesn't mean we can't improve on him, of course.

JB looked pretty good last year too; I think his 15-16 down season was due to injuries. Either way I'll never complain about signing him. That contract was absolutely necessary, and we're significantly worse without him.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
JB looked pretty good last year to0; I think his 15-16 down season was due to injuries. Either way I'll never complain about signing him. That contract was absolutely necessary, and we're significantly worse without him.

Agreed. He had a bad year in 15-16 but I also think it's because of injuries. He looked banged up, then a summer of rest must've really helped. And of course, agreed on the contract. I got so angry when people here were suggesting we trade him at the deadline if he didn't re-sign by then. Not only did he end up signing a contract a couple weeks later, but good teams let players walk and go for it in the playoffs.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Nelson came up in the trade forum and Winnipeg fans seem to be catching on that we don't want him. The way we talk about him, you would expect him to return a bottom pair d-man, not someone like Myers, and I don't think a second rounder really balances it out.

Well, the ones I chatted with were ok with Nelson, but hey, I can live with Hjalmarsson instead...

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It's always hard when a players numbers are better than their play. No matter his play though, I still believe he finishes this year with 20+ goals and 40+ points and end of the day that will always have value in this league no matter how soft we call the guy.

Reactions: SLAPSHOT723

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Agreed. He had a bad year in 15-16 but I also think it's because of injuries. He looked banged up, then a summer of rest must've really helped. And of course, agreed on the contract. I got so angry when people here were suggesting we trade him at the deadline if he didn't re-sign by then. Not only did he end up signing a contract a couple weeks later, but good teams let players walk and go for it in the playoffs.

I think Ladd is starting to earn his contract too. Considering the rising salary cap, I don't think 5.5 million is that much for a guy that's part of our "1b" line.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Well, the ones I chatted with were ok with Nelson, but hey, I can live with Hjalmarsson instead...

So would I but would Arizona be fine with it? We're talking about a soft third liner here and yet we're asking for a solid defenseman in return. Where does he fit in Winnipeg or Arizona? Can they deal with losing a top 4 d-man?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
So would I but would Arizona be fine with it? We're talking about a soft third liner here and yet we're asking for a solid defenseman in return. Where does he fit in Winnipeg or Arizona? Can they deal with losing a top 4 d-man?

I hate being that guy, but Hjalmarsson is not going to re sign with Arizona, and I think they could use a consistent 20 goal scorer who's a RFA...

As for the Jets, I don't know the reasoning, but most fans were ok with trading Myers or Trouba...

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I would rather see the Isles go after Filppula. He would be a perfect 3rd line center. He has enough skill to play with Hosang and Tito, and he is very good on faceoffs.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think Ladd is starting to earn his contract too. Considering the rising salary cap, I don't think 5.5 million is that much for a guy that's part of our "1b" line.

And just to further my point, Ladd has like two more points than Nelson and yet Ladd game in and game out has been better (maybe except for like 5 of the first 10) but again people can live and die with production.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I hate being that guy, but Hjalmarsson is not going to re sign with Arizona, and I think they could use a consistent 20 goal scorer who's a RFA...

As for the Jets, I don't know the reasoning, but most fans were ok with trading Myers or Trouba...

I've been at it about Trouba in the rumors thread and every time they're like "it'll take a lot", even though it seems like things are dicey over there. The other problem is that Wpeg is playing REALLY well right now. I see them waiting until the offseason before shaking it up and that's only because they'll be forced to.

As for Hjalmarsson... he has almost two years left and has a 20 team NTC. I guess they could use a 20 goal scorer but... we can use him too? Like that's the problem here, we keep dogging the guy and then selling him as a consistent scorer to other teams. In the end, I def see us unloading him because he'll be due a raise (yes, really) and he can be used as a chip for a better player but I don't know what that trade would look like. As it is, we treat him like he has second rounder value.

(Similarly, I DO notice that WPG fans aren't thrilled with Trouba but when you ask about him they're like "ok it'll take JT, Leddy, or Barzal and we'll build from there". It's goofy.)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
BTW, I'm all about aiming high here. If you want a defenseman, aim for OEL or Trouba or whoever else might become available. We have a ton of chips and room to make something big happen.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I've been at it about Trouba in the rumors thread and every time they're like "it'll take a lot", even though it seems like things are dicey over there. The other problem is that Wpeg is playing REALLY well right now. I see them waiting until the offseason before shaking it up and that's only because they'll be forced to.

As for Hjalmarsson... he has almost two years left and has a 20 team NTC. I guess they could use a 20 goal scorer but... we can use him too? Like that's the problem here, we keep dogging the guy and then selling him as a consistent scorer to other teams. In the end, I def see us unloading him because he'll be due a raise (yes, really) and he can be used as a chip for a better player but I don't know what that trade would look like. As it is, we treat him like he has second rounder value.

(Similarly, I DO notice that WPG fans aren't thrilled with Trouba but when you ask about him they're like "ok it'll take JT, Leddy, or Barzal and we'll build from there". It's goofy.)

When I mentioned Trouba, I got the same reaction...

Nelson is the prime candidate to move for several reasons...
Didn't see that Hjalmarsson has a list, bummer...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
BTW, I'm all about aiming high here. If you want a defenseman, aim for OEL or Trouba or whoever else might become available. We have a ton of chips and room to make something big happen.

I'd rather have Trouba...

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
When I mentioned Trouba, I got the same reaction...

Nelson is the prime candidate to move for several reasons...
Didn't see that Hjalmarsson has a list, bummer...

I wouldn't take their word as gospel.

Anyway, taking a quick scan of their lineup, they could prob use upgrades at LD and 3C. Their top two lines are locked and loaded. Nelson would be a minor upgrade on the third line but not enough to give up their strength at RD.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
The rush here to trade Nelson is nuts to me. He's a middle six center/wing who's easily good for 20+ goals (and performing at that level this year). Of course his game has serious limitations, and it's not like he's the shiny new toy any more. But if you think his game has flaws, wait until you get a load of whoever enters the lineup to fill his void.

I'm not saying Nelson is untouchable. If there's a good trade to be made for an upgrade at center, or a top 4 D, I'll help pack his bags. But the idea that we should be looking for ways to dump him—or should want to trade him over prospects or picks—is bizarre. It's the mentality of team looking to rebuild or re-tool, not a contender.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I would rather see the Isles go after Filppula. He would be a perfect 3rd line center. He has enough skill to play with Hosang and Tito, and he is very good on faceoffs.

He'd be great, but he's playing really well and is in the division. He'll cost more than Plekanec or Vermette. We'd also need Philly to retain salary.

I'd love to get him though. I agree Filppula would be a great fit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's always hard when a players numbers are better than their play. No matter his play though, I still believe he finishes this year with 20+ goals and 40+ points and end of the day that will always have value in this league no matter how soft we call the guy.
I agree.Teams needing scoring are gonna look at Nelson's multiple 20+ goal seasons, his age,salary ,size and value him higher then nyi fans who have seen his warts up close over the years.
I know the cap is expected to go up and agents are gonna take advantage of that this summer.I am not convinced the isles and Nelson will have any easier time at the contract table,then last time around.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If they trade for a D, I want it to be a legitimate top pairing guy... another 4-5-6 isn't going to move the needle enough to take the chance. People severely under rate the D we do have. Leddy is absolutely one of the top 10 defensemen in the league right now, and Boychuk is consistently anywhere from a borderline 2 to a solid 3 every night.

As far as forwards go, I'd like to get someone that is good on both sides of the puck, good on the dot, has grit and experience. They also have to make under 3m to keep the salary structure in order, and I'd like to keep them here for a year or two beyond as the 3rd or 4th line C. I keep bringing up Brad Richardson... because he checks all those boxes, plus he has two rings and shouldn't cost a ton to get in trade.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
The rush here to trade Nelson is nuts to me. He's a middle six center/wing who's easily good for 20+ goals (and performing at that level this year). Of course his game has serious limitations, and it's not like he's the shiny new toy any more. But if you think his game has flaws, wait until you get a load of whoever enters the lineup to fill his void.

I'm not saying Nelson is untouchable. If there's a good trade to be made for an upgrade at center, or a top 4 D, I'll help pack his bags. But the idea that we should be looking for ways to dump him—or should want to trade him over prospects or picks—is bizarre. It's the mentality of team looking to rebuild or re-tool, not a contender.

The problem with Nelson is that...

a) he's going to get a raise
b) besides shooting the puck, he's not really good at anything else
c) doesn't make his line mates better

I remember when Comeau scored over 20 goals one year, i just kept thinking, "now is the time to trade him, someone will bite". But Garth held on to him, and a few games into the following season, he was placed on waivers.

Don't get me wrong, Nelson is better than Comeau, but i believe he's plateaued, and will only regress, might as well trade him now that he has value...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
If they trade for a D, I want it to be a legitimate top pairing guy... another 4-5-6 isn't going to move the needle enough to take the chance. People severely under rate the D we do have. Leddy is absolutely one of the top 10 defensemen in the league right now, and Boychuk is consistently anywhere from a borderline 2 to a solid 3 every night.

As far as forwards go, I'd like to get someone that is good on both sides of the puck, good on the dot, has grit and experience. They also have to make under 3m to keep the salary structure in order, and I'd like to keep them here for a year or two beyond as the 3rd or 4th line C. I keep bringing up Brad Richardson... because he checks all those boxes, plus he has two rings and shouldn't cost a ton to get in trade.

Ideally, i would like a top pairing guy also, just not sure if OEL is a good fit...

Just out of curiosity, who would you all rather have, OEL or Trouba???

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ideally, i would like a top pairing guy also, just not sure if OEL is a good fit...

Just out of curiosity, who would you all rather have, OEL or Trouba???

I'd have to see the cost for each.... Trouba is the better defenseman.

I remember when Comeau scored over 20 goals one year, i just kept thinking, "now is the time to trade him, someone will bite". But Garth held on to him, and a few games into the following season, he was placed on waivers.

Don't get me wrong, Nelson is better than Comeau, but i believe he's plateaued, and will only regress, might as well trade him now that he has value...

The Isles also have two similar players in the pipeline to replace him in MDC and Bellows making him the most expendable F.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I agree.Teams needing scoring are gonna look at Nelson's multiple 20+ goal seasons, his age,salary ,size and value him higher then nyi fans who have seen his warts up close over the years.
I know the cap is expected to go up and agents are gonna take advantage of that this summer.I am not convinced the isles and Nelson will have any easier time at the contract table,then last time around.

Again, people keep saying this about Nelson—it's just odd to me how people

As long as Nelson scores consistently, it isn't really that big a problem though. Comeau went on waivers because his offense went cold and he contributed nothing else. Nelson is still scoring—in fact, he's literally the only offense we get from the third line for long stretches.

Your analysis is perfectly reasonable, so this isn't really a criticism of you, but it sort of gets to me when people seem to imagine themselves as sophisticates because they're full of praise for guys who excel at some area of the game other than scoring, but demean guys whose best attribute is goal scoring. There are very few complete players in the league—goal scorers have a place in a balanced lineup even if they don't excel at everything else, and it reflects poorly on the coach when teams can't make those guys work.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Again, people keep saying this about Nelson—it's just odd to me how people

As long as Nelson scores consistently, it isn't really that big a problem though. Comeau went on waivers because his offense went cold and he contributed nothing else. Nelson is still scoring—in fact, he's literally the only offense we get from the third line for long stretches.

Your analysis is perfectly reasonable, so this isn't really a criticism of you, but it sort of gets to me when people seem to imagine themselves as sophisticates because they're full of praise for guys who excel at some area of the game other than scoring, but demean guys whose best attribute is goal scoring. There are very few complete players in the league—goal scorers have a place in a balanced lineup even if they don't excel at everything else, and it reflects poorly on the coach when teams can't make those guys work.

He's the only offense on the 3rd line because he's a puck hog playing with 2 kids who could use some help...
And when he's not scoring, he's the worst part of that line...

I look at a guy like Ladd, when he's not scoring, he's at least contributing in other ways which help his line mates out...

I am 100% confident if he gets traded, he won't be missed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad