Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Ideally, i would like a top pairing guy also, just not sure if OEL is a good fit...

Just out of curiosity, who would you all rather have, OEL or Trouba???
Trouba. You can lock him in on a long term deal and he’s younger.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
He's the only offense on the 3rd line because he's a puck hog playing with 2 kids who could use some help...
And when he's not scoring, he's the worst part of that line...

I look at a guy like Ladd, when he's not scoring, he's at least contributing in other ways which help his line mates out...

I am 100% confident if he gets traded, he won't be missed...

Yes yes yes, but someone has to score, and Andrew Ladds don't grow on trees (or make salaries commensurate with third line roles).

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He's the only offense on the 3rd line because he's a puck hog playing with 2 kids who could use some help...
And when he's not scoring, he's the worst part of that line...

I look at a guy like Ladd, when he's not scoring, he's at least contributing in other ways which help his line mates out...

I am 100% confident if he gets traded, he won't be missed...

You put Prince alongside JHS and Quine and you have the fasted 3rd line in the league, you can forecheck teams to death with that line.. and they will score some goals. Nelson needs to go, he is heartless

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You put Prince alongside JHS and Quine and you have the fasted 3rd line in the league, you can forecheck teams to death with that line.. and they will score some goals. Nelson needs to go, he is heartless

But that line will also find themselves cycled to death in their own zone. Maybe the answer to putting us over the top would be to trade Hickey for a draft pick and call up Toews to play that 3rd pair LD with whoever you want to cycle in on the RD. I'm at the point where I could see us looking for that one upgrade on the Bottom 6 that could be able to dominate the faceoff dot and kill penalties as well as fill in on the Top 6 should we get an injury. You've got Martin Hanzal out there, who some of us thought could be the answer at 2C. He certainly would be the answer at 3C. Nelson and a pick for Hanzal? Hanzal has started out poorly this year, partly due to a 3% shooting percentage and a weird pattern of use with Dallas:

Here's his advanced stat link, could others better informed at this gives us an analysis:

Martin Hanzal NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

With Hickey and Nelson gone you get the money to slot Hanzal and Toews.

Now you run with

Lee/JT/JB
Ladd/MB/JE
Beau/Hanzal/Ho-Sang
CC/CC/JC or Quine
Prince

You can mix and match that bottom 6 too if you want Beau on the 4th you can move Prince/Quine to that spot.

Toews for Hickey would have possibly already happened if we weren't winning so much right now. To me he's like Kenny Morrow, in that we are waiting for a player who is better than the incumbent and it's just a matter of time but there is a hesitancy to fool with the winning right now.

This is all assuming we don't make a serious run at an OEL. If we are not going that route:

Leddy/Boy
DeHaan/Pelech
Toews/Mayfield or Pulock is the way to go

Toews' ability to make outlet passes and quick decisions with his speed will make Mayfield and Pulock more effective as they will play less time in their own zone with him as a partner. Hickey can't do that.

And one other thing I would do is to trade for a goalie prospect for Bridgeport. Right now it looks like Gudlevskis is just taking up space. Maybe not even a prospect. I assume we still have the rights to Mikko Koskinen. In the offseason I see no reason why he and Soderstrom can't be the pairing for Bridgeport unless his salary with the KHL is too much.

Last edited:

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Jesus, don't tell me you think Prince is a good player.... :facepalm:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
On that line Ho-Sang would be passing to two guys who can’t finish. Try again.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Jesus, don't tell me you think Prince is a good player.... :facepalm:

Actually I don't think he is good at all, just at this point Chimera is going to cost us a game with his dumb penalties.... I think Prince actually is subpar, off the same assembly line as Comeau, guys that can only skate fast because their head is down and they always get popped

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
On that line Ho-Sang would be passing to two guys who can’t finish. Try again.

Nelson can finish.. but only on odd days in months that don't contain the letter V where it does not rain

I think Nelson may find better success on the Cizikas line and maybe Beau would be better for the Quine line

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Actually I don't think he is good at all, just at this point Chimera is going to cost us a game with his dumb penalties.... I think Prince actually is subpar, off the same assembly line as Comeau, guys that can only skate fast because their head is down and they always get popped

But you're advocating Prince replacing Nelson, not Chimera. Prince for Chimera I think may be worth trying.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think some of the metrics showed that Prince was solid at driving possession while Chimera wasn't. I'd like to see Chimera sit a bit more once Prince and Cizikas are ready to play again. Even if you like Chimera more than most, I think you'd have to admit that at his age, playing 40-50 games would be better for his effectiveness than playing 75+ games.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
But you're advocating Prince replacing Nelson, not Chimera. Prince for Chimera I think may be worth trying.

Actually Prince for Chimera with Nelson playing with Cizikas and Clutter...

Chimera is done, Prince sucks but he is better than Chimera but Prince will play 3 games and be out for the year, Isles probably are best with Prince, Chimera and Seids in the luxury box and Hickey in Arizona

The Isles best lineup for now is:

Lee/JT/Chains
Ladd/Messiah/Eberle
Beau/Quine/JHS
Lady Jane/Cizikas/Ron Jeremy

Leddy/Boychuk
CDH/Mayfield
Benjamin Button/Pulock

Last edited by a moderator:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think some of the metrics showed that Prince was solid at driving possession while Chimera wasn't. I'd like to see Chimera sit a bit more once Prince and Cizikas are ready to play again. Even if you like Chimera more than most, I think you'd have to admit that at his age, playing 40-50 games would be better for his effectiveness than playing 75+ games.

The problem with Chimera is that most veterans are smart and physically challenged (see Seids) and Chimera as the hockey aptitude of a WHL kid

Reactions: Eberzal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Actually Prince for Chimera with Nelson playing with Cizikas and Clutter...

Chimera is done, Prince sucks but he is better than Chimera but Prince will play 3 games and be out for the year, Isles probably are best with Prince, Chimera and Seids in the luxury box and Hickey in Arizona

The Isles best lineup for now is:

Lee/JT/Chains
Ladd/Messiah/Eberle
Beau/Quine/JHS
Lady Jane/Cizikas/Ron Jeremy

Leddy/Boychuk
CDH/Mayfield
Benjamin Button/Pulock

Whenever you post a lineup, you crack me up

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SLAPSHOT723

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Oilers seem to want to make a trade, is there anyone of interest left???

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Again, people keep saying this about Nelson—it's just odd to me how people

As long as Nelson scores consistently, it isn't really that big a problem though. Comeau went on waivers because his offense went cold and he contributed nothing else. Nelson is still scoring—in fact, he's literally the only offense we get from the third line for long stretches.

Your analysis is perfectly reasonable, so this isn't really a criticism of you, but it sort of gets to me when people seem to imagine themselves as sophisticates because they're full of praise for guys who excel at some area of the game other than scoring, but demean guys whose best attribute is goal scoring. There are very few complete players in the league—goal scorers have a place in a balanced lineup even if they don't excel at everything else, and it reflects poorly on the coach when teams can't make those guys work.
Isles balked at Nelson's contract demands last go around. I think he signed just days before the season started and received a bridge/show me contract. He is not having a very strong season and I expect another contract battle.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Isles balked at Nelson's contract demands last go around. I think he signed just days before the season started and received a bridge/show me contract. He is not having a very strong season and I expect another contract battle.
I think there's almost a 0% chance that Nelson is on this team next year

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think there's almost a 0% chance that Nelson is on this team next year

Agreed. Hopefully our GM can sell another team on him being large and having a great shot, and get something on value in return.

Next offseason is going to be wild:

• Tavares situation (if still unsigned)
  • Bailey a UFA
  • De Haan a UFA
  • Nelson an RFA
  • Halak a UFA
  • Quine/Prince RFA's
  • Chimera gone
  • Kulemin gone
  • Seidenberg gone
  • Hickey gone
  • About 35 million in cap space opening up
  • Two first round picks in a great draft
  • And the Belmont situation hanging over the franchise

Even if JT and Bailey are resigned, most likely need to add 2 forwards at at least 2 defenseman, but once again not a good crop of free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad