Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think that's absolutely crazy. Teams are hesitant to pencil in even high-end, top 5 draft picks as a top four defensemen *right away*, let alone someone of Toews' pedigree.

I think that's one of Snow's biggest problems (among others). He seems to like to fill holes on the big club with players who may one day reach that spot but aren't there yet, instead of actually filling them like a normal GM would. Once in a while it pays off (ie. assuming Barzal can handle the 2C duties as a rookie), but more often than not it results in an incredibly flawed roster because players are playing in roles they're not good enough (yet) to play.

He also doesn't like to ease them too much. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield all could've been eased in prior to this season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think that's absolutely crazy. Teams are hesitant to pencil in even high-end, top 5 draft picks as a top four defensemen *right away*, let alone someone of Toews' pedigree.

I think that's one of Snow's biggest problems (among others). He seems to like to fill holes on the big club with players who may one day reach that spot but aren't there yet, instead of actually filling them like a normal GM would. Once in a while it pays off (ie. assuming Barzal can handle the 2C duties as a rookie), but more often than not it results in an incredibly flawed roster because players are playing in roles they're not good enough (yet) to play.
I expect the isles to kick the tires on top 4 nhlers and if Snow does not like the price ( again), for him to go with the Bridgeport youngster.

There have been a few reports that Snow has a longterm deal,gifted to him by Wang before he sold. Staple thinks it is 4 more seasons,while some posters think it is even more. Either way, Snow does not appear to be a GM fearing for his job or worried about needing immediate results.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He also doesn't like to ease them too much. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield all could've been eased in prior to this season.
Cannot help but wonder, if Pulock would have started out with more confidence if he had a few montns of nhl experience coming into this season.

He looked overwhelmed his first several games. I wondered if he wasn't another bust.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I know it's your opinion that JT "bailed" on the team, but the rest of the league does not see it this way. They're thinking quite the opposite - that it's the GM's fault that he never build a good enough team around Tavares. So it's a huge hit to the image of the franchise. Besides, he's having a really good year production wise - he's quite close to his career season.Our offence wasn't the problem this season, it's the defence that killed this team.

And since you didn't adress any of the other issues let me remind you, the Isles were never overly attractive to any UFAs - and you want to sign four in one off-season. What you did with the roster is a pipe dream and to be honest, not even that good.

Agreed, I don't want 42-year old chara, nor do I want one-dimensional Grabner, who the NYI and others have traded in the last few years. And I certainly don't want Greiss coming back in any form, and that includes being a part of Garf's lunatic 3-goalie tandem.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

To me this was a big problem with this year. Assuming little changes, it will be a problem next year too with adding Toews.

I don’t have an issue with these players per se, but just having too many inexperienced d-men at one time. A guy like Pelech should only have had sheltered #6 minutes this year. Then be tasked with earning his way up.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Items I’d like addressed this offseason by an experienced GM:

1. Re-sign JT.

2. Acquire two second pairing d men, trade, free agency etc.

3. Acquire a top 15 starting goalie, via trade most likely.

These are the most pressing needs.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013

1. Re-sign JT.

any goalie your thinking might be available? id overpay for a really good one

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

1. Re-sign JT.

IMO, to move into the "contender" ranks, I think the Isles need to push hard for a legitimate #1 defenseman. Having a solid top four likely earns a playoff berth, but the teams who are perennial favorites typically have that #1 guy.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
IMO, to move into the "contender" ranks, I think the Isles need to push hard for a legitimate #1 defenseman. Having a solid top four likely earns a playoff berth, but the teams who are perennial favorites typically have that #1 guy.

Who is this legit #1 that you speak of? Not seeing one readily available. The best case scenario to obtain one is to win the draft lottery and then pray that Dahlin is the real deal.

For now, I would do cartwheels to grab a top-4 guy to replace and hopefully upgrade CdH's spot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who is this legit #1 that you speak of? Not seeing one readily available. The best case scenario to obtain one is to win the draft lottery and then pray that Dahlin is the real deal.

For now, I would do cartwheels to grab a top-4 guy to replace and hopefully upgrade CdH's spot.

Obviously that's the hard part. Didn't mean to sound like it's easy to do.

I think there are options. OEL seems like he could be had for the right price. A guy like John Carlson might reach UFA. Erik Karlsson seems to want out from Ottawa.

I just think that's one hole that needs addressing -- somehow, some way -- in order to move from playoff bubble team to actual contender.

Reactions: PWJunior

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I agree with this. If OEL can truly be had, he's the guy I'd like to see a new GM try to get. (I mean, I'd be kinda happy just with a new GM for a while, but then I'd want OEL).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I think OEL could be that guy. He's a two time 20 goal scorer as a defenseman playing on a truly terrible team. I don't watch him that often, but there really isn't concern about his defense even if it's not elite and that with his offensive game is enough for me.

He's the closest one that could be available that fits the bill.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I agree, I just don’t see any number 1 D men being available.

Two second pairings is more realistic.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
To me this was a big problem with this year. Assuming little changes, it will be a problem next year too with adding Toews.

I don’t have an issue with these players per se, but just having too many inexperienced d-men at one time. A guy like Pelech should only have had sheltered #6 minutes this year. Then be tasked with earning his way up.

So when he went right to top pair wasn't it last year to play with Leddy that was a mistake ? This is how our team is like bizzaro Superman world . Cory Conacher suuuuure throw him on the first line. PM Bouchard absolutely first line material. We start players at the top and have them work their way down the depth chart.
Just like the song " This is how we do it " . Garth always looks to make himself look like the master almost ahead of team success. Instead at deadline time he turns into the master baiter. Tanner Fritz is never leaving . Hickey will be re signed. Oh and Pelech, lots more to learn but I like him . On a good team as of today he would only be bottom pair.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think OEL could be that guy. He's a two time 20 goal scorer as a defenseman playing on a truly terrible team. I don't watch him that often, but there really isn't concern about his defense even if it's not elite and that with his offensive game is enough for me.

He's the closest one that could be available that fits the bill.
OEL plays D like Leddy. The Isles need shutdown guys or they'll be in the same boat next year.

Reactions: BTrotts19

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I don’t know who is available. Raanta as a UFA.

Do any teams have a surplus of goalies?
i would make raanta target 1 this offseason.... barring dell playing in playoffs for the sharks and them looking to move martin jones or the caps deciding its time to go grubauer and samsanov and moving holtby i can't think of any goalies who might be available thats why I'm asking i wish a top 10 goalie was available

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
i would make raanta target 1 this offseason.... barring dell playing in playoffs for the sharks and them looking to move martin jones or the caps deciding its time to go grubauer and samsanov and moving holtby i can't think of any goalies who might be available thats why I'm asking i wish a top 10 goalie was available

Can we call Grubauer a top 15 starter? Him and Dell are question marks.

Another question mark is Sorokin. He may be better than the aforementioned.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Now we're replacing Tavares with Mark Stone? This place has lost it's mind

Stop tossing the blame where it doesn't belong. We've got stubborn people running this team into the ground, forcing a system and ideas that do not work.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
They don’t ease their young players in because they’re obsessed with veteran AHL trash like Brian Strait and Marek Zidlicky.

It's lunacy that these two were mainstays instead of bleeding in your young high picked dmen. One, even a green Pulock/Pelech were better than these 2 and they would have been seasoned when the CdH/JB went down.

Just another reason why this whole mgmt/coaching staff needs to be expelled.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
It's lunacy that these two were mainstays instead of bleeding in your young high picked dmen. One, even a green Pulock/Pelech were better than these 2 and they would have been seasoned when the CdH/JB went down.

Just another reason why this whole mgmt/coaching staff needs to be expelled.
The double standard that this team has is ridiculous. They think that everything can be learned at the AHL level, which is simply not true. And then this logic causes confidence problems with the players because they’re too worried about making a mistake and getting benched.

Young player turns the puck over once: “we have to send him down because he’s not ready!”

Brian Strait turns the puck over 5x: “well at least he plays hard”

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The double standard that this team has is ridiculous. They think that everything can be learned at the AHL level, which is simply not true. And then this logic causes confidence problems with the players because they’re too worried about making a mistake and getting benched.

Young player turns the puck over once: “we have to send him down because he’s not ready!”

Brian Strait turns the puck over 5x: “well at least he plays hard”

Hahd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad