Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Karlsson took a bit to get back to form after Matt Cooke sliced his achilles. So I don't think there's much to worry about with regards to Karlsson. He's such a smart player that even if he loses a bit of speed, he'll still be a top 10 defenseman, even if he's not able to be a top 3 defenseman.

In any case, I do think that's one area the Isles really need to address. The lack of a #1D has been apparent, IMO, for years.
We will agree to disagree. I have already stated I want no part of the huge contract he will pull down or the young talent he will cost

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think you're getting Karlsson with that package. Keep in mind if Karlsson's on the market, there will be a LOT of teams interested. So the one who gets him will be the one willing to really overpay for him.

I also don't think there's a chance in hell you can fit both Tavares and Karlsson under the cap in a year's time when Karlsson's new deal kicks in. From everything he's said, it sounds like he's fully willing to get as much as he can on the open market. Which likely means he'll be looking to surpass McDavid's $12.5 million. And assuming Tavares asks for $11+ million, there's no way you're fitting two players at around $24-$25 million and still have room to improve any other spot.

I think if Tavares is re-signed, it'll have to be a cheaper (not cheap) option like John Carlson or trade for a current guy under contract in the $7 to $8 million range.

Yeah I think we will have to settle for that 4-5 million guy, maybe a Hjalmarsson who waives his NTC.

The only way to get JT and Karlsson in there, would be to have a lot of cheap players on the lower lines which can't be done with the 12 million dollar 4th line and 3.6 Greiss

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Yeah I think we will have to settle for that 4-5 million guy, maybe a Hjalmarsson who waives his NTC.

The only way to get JT and Karlsson in there, would be to have a lot of cheap players on the lower lines which can't be done with the 12 million dollar 4th line and 3.6 Greiss
if we knew that Snow could have had Stamkos, but chose Kulemin and Grabovski instead, then for sure, we should rip him. but if Stamkos WON'T sign here (this is not computer hockey, FA's choose where to go), and the choice is Kulemin & Grabo, or Prince & Quine, what should Garth do? what would you do?

this is obviously a fictional scenario, just to illustrate that it isn't as simple as just making a decision, and then doing it.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I think kulemin was overpayed tobreach the cap floor. Once baseball gets a cap floor you will see teams throwing money at guys for no other reason.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
if we knew that Snow could have had Stamkos, but chose Kulemin and Grabovski instead, then for sure, we should rip him. but if Stamkos WON'T sign here (this is not computer hockey, FA's choose where to go), and the choice is Kulemin & Grabo, or Prince & Quine, what should Garth do? what would you do?

What would I do...?

Draft better.

Reactions: Stercrazy

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

this is obviously a fictional scenario, just to illustrate that it isn't as simple as just making a decision, and then doing it.

I used to make that defense of Snow a lot and at one time it was very justified, I do know for a fact that Paul Martin was excited to sign here instead of San Jose and then saw the Nassau Coliseum and completely did a 180... one week later Dan Hamhuis did the same thing... so that was the first hurdle

Second hurdle in signing players became the arena situation so if you signed here, you don't know if in 2 years you will be living in Seattle, Quebec, or New Orleans

I think the Snow defense now has grown meek. No one held a gun to his head to sign Clutterbuck or Cizikas to those contracts, both have proved this year that their ceiling is 4th line.

He could have extended Frans midseason instead of signing Ladd for such a bad contract

There was no gun at his head to extend Mayfield for 5 years.

The bad extensions are what is going to kill this team if it has to rebuild.

I think if you revise history, you can't undo moves that were universally acceptable at the time, Kulemin, Grabo, the Greiss extension, but there were obvious moves over the last 2 seasons that spell his end.

Not trading or bringing in a dman when Boychuck went down
Failure to bring in a real coach ever
The extensions to players that have amounted to 4th line level
Failure to replace toughness when we lost Martin
The 3 goalie situation of least year
Not firing Cappy after his first missed playoff
Making deadline deals for guys like Prince, DAvidson and Kennedy instead of anything impactful
never cultivating a goalie from in house in his entire tenure when he was a goalie himself

The only way Snow can save himself now, ... sign JT

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I used to make that defense of Snow a lot and at one time it was very justified, I do know for a fact that Paul Martin was excited to sign here instead of San Jose and then saw the Nassau Coliseum and completely did a 180... one week later Dan Hamhuis did the same thing... so that was the first hurdle

Second hurdle in signing players became the arena situation so if you signed here, you don't know if in 2 years you will be living in Seattle, Quebec, or New Orleans

I think the Snow defense now has grown meek. No one held a gun to his head to sign Clutterbuck or Cizikas to those contracts, both have proved this year that their ceiling is 4th line.

He could have extended Frans midseason instead of signing Ladd for such a bad contract

I think if you revise history, you can't undo moves that were universally acceptable at the time, Kulemin, Grabo, the Greiss extension, but there were obvious moves over the last 2 seasons that spell his end.

Making deadline deals for guys like Prince, DAvidson and Kennedy instead of anything impactful
never cultivating a goalie from in house in his entire tenure when he was a goalie himself

'
This is a positive, not a negative. No way this team was going to make the playoffs without a huge rental that would have cost us a ton. I'm glad he didn't make any deadline deals, team is too flawed. (this year anyway)

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

a well thought response, very good. and i agree, Snow could have done better. i am not defending Snow, i am just not a fan of rhetoric, or opinions that are blatantly one-sided. when someone points to only the negative or positive, i think of used car sales people, and lawyers. i really don't find it constructive.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
i certainly can't control your thoughts or replies, so i'm not going to get too upset. maybe just recognise that there are others who aren't gifted with the intellect that you have, and try a little more kindness. thanks.

You're cute. The world needs more people like you.

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
i certainly can't control your thoughts or replies, so i'm not going to get too upset. maybe just recognise that there are others who aren't gifted with the intellect that you have, and try a little more kindness. thanks.

Certainly don't waste your energy. Keep in mind that someone who has over 12,000 posts on a message board probably doesn't interact with people in real life very often.

Reactions: dood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad